Wind Tunnel Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Wind Tunnel Regulations

Recently I have been looking at wind tunnels and have had a quick scan over the reg's in F1. about using the tunnel so many times in an 8hr day, so many times a week, how many items put inside, and so on. I am just curious as to how the FIA police this ?

Also whats stopping Merceds putting an F1 car (full size) into one of its other wind tunnels they own or have access to ? Same goes for Ferrari. How do the Governing bodies stop this ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Blanchimont

Re: Wind Tunnel Regulations

NathanOlder wrote:Also whats stopping Merceds putting an F1 car (full size) into one of its other wind tunnels they own or have access to ?
After having read the 2013 Sporting Regulations and the article 22 about track and wind tunnel testing, it was a surprise to me that it is not always illegal to test the real car in a wind tunnel.

If a team doesn't want to test the car in a straight line test it can instead take the car to a wind tunnel for four hours.
So in total, there are 16 hours of wind tunnel testing available with the 100% car. Has any F1 team done this in the past?
Article 22.4 h ii,
Four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 February of the current year and the start of the last Event of the Championship. Any of these days may be substituted for four hours of wind-on full scale wind tunnel testing to be carried out in a single twenty four hour period.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Paul

Yes, for example Lotus.

NathanOlder

Did anyone ever find out how the FIA keep track on how the teams use their wind tunnels?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC