Previous technical transition years in F1´s history

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rikhart

Previous technical transition years in F1´s history

It occurred to me to look into the past to see what lessons we can draw from the past, when a similar situation to next year´s happened (stability in regulations, then a big difference the following year), see what results teams had in one year, then the next. If teams could develop both seasons and still be successful, or if a compromise was needed. However I´m not that big on F1´s history, and from what little investigation I did, it appears that basically there were dominant teams for certain periods, regardless of technical changes.

So let´s hear the thoughts of F1´s history buffs :P

Gerhard Berger

Re: Previous technical transition years in F1´s history

Well i remember the changes for the 1998 season which were probably the biggest set of rule changes before 2009 (though one could argue 2005). In short, grooved tyres were introduced, max width of cars was reduced significantly and the engine position was moved forward relative to the rest of the chassis.

Before 98, Williams were certainly the dominant force. Ferrari looked to be on the rise in 97, and Mclaren were also improving and winning races again. After 1998, Mclaren became quite a dominant force, but Ferrari were their main challenger, and it seemed Ferrari were able to develop the 97 car and build a strong car for 98. Williams were a distinct third best in 98, behind Ferrari and Mclaren.

However, the cause of Mclaren's rise/Williams' fall is likely not only the cause of the regulation changes. Newey moved from Williams to Mclaren in mid 97 and Williams also lost the works Renault engines at the end of 98. Add to that, Mclaren moved to Bridgestone tyres in 98 which proved to be very competitive, especially in the early races.

gold333

The Weickershof protocol changes laid out for F1 for the years 1995-1999 have always interested me. These never came to pass due to Imola 94.

Basically in terms of design restrictions there are two parralels. The car and the engine.

One could argue that the banning of the 1200-1400hp turbo's in the late 80's started the decline but I disagree.
It was merely a change in engine type.

F1 cars continued to improve and be better racecars (lower, wider, wider wheels, etc.) until 1993.
The first sterilisation came with the banning of the white label 18inch Goodyears, down to 15 inches (yellow label) for 1993.

The Weikershof was not planned until 1995 but Senna and Ratzenbergers death accelerated the further sterilisation of the cars.

A stepped bottom was introduced which eliminated sparking in F1. The cars no longer skirted the ground but ran with a central wooden plank a few centimetres above the road. This wooden plank is still used I believe.

1995 coincided with the crippling of the engine from 3.5L to 3.0 L.

Engine regulations which enforced V10 configurations meant that V12's were no longer used, with Ferrari famously the last team to let go of the V12 (412T2 was the last V12 F1 car in 1995).

Then in 1998 the debacle of grooved tyres on an open wheeled racer and the compulsory reduction in car width from 200 to 180 cm led to the needlenose designed narrow pointy cars with narrow tires we see till this day.

Then the major last change was for 2009 with the banning of winglets (some of which remain and are getting back) which was meant to give the cars a sleeker appearance. Also slick tyres came back in 2009. 2009 also saw the first reduction in the rear wing width from 100 to 80 cm I believe in conjunction with the compulsory snowplough front wing.

One didn't think these cars could look less like racecars after that final sterilization until we had the 2012 stepped nose fiasco.

The FIA said modesty panels would be used in 2013 not realising that designers do not do optional grams of weight further cementing the FIA's reputation as completely inept at drafting regulations.

And ofcourse from 1995 till today the gradual banning of cylinders, first the V12, then the V10 and next year the V8.

I always wonder what the Weickershof changes would have brought about, and how an F1 car would have looked today had Senna not died.
Last edited by gold333 on 29 Jan 2013, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

the user

gold333 wrote:And ofcourse from 1995 till today the gradual banning of cylinders, first the V12, then the V10 and next year the V8.
Of course you do realise that when other engine configurations other than 3.0L V10s were banned in 2000, the V12 had already been abandoned by engine manufacturers by then. I'm just saying that at least for the death of V12 engines in F1 - regulations had nothing to do with it. Sure it's sad that we don't have V10s and V12s anymore - I have never liked these 2.4L V8s... I do have high hopes for the V6 engines.

matt21

gold333 wrote:The failed Weickershof protocol changes laid out for F1 for the years 1995-1999 due to Senna's death have always interested me.
Has anybody an idea where to find these proposed changes?

And btw who or what is Weickershof?

mnmracer

This Wikipedia article might be a good starting point. Certainly in modern times, there are so many changes every year, to answer your question you would first have to define what constitutes a technical era for you. For instance, do you think 2009 - 2013 is a technical era, or would you divide that up still into 2009/2010 and 2011 - 2013?

Kiril Varbanov

I have written two articles a while ago covering some of the most interesting technical aspects during 1994-2011 interval.
Link - 1994-2005 and 2006-2011

gold333

matt21 wrote:
gold333 wrote:The failed Weickershof protocol changes laid out for F1 for the years 1995-1999 due to Senna's death have always interested me.
Has anybody an idea where to find these proposed changes?

And btw who or what is Weickershof?
The Weickershof protocol was an FIA meeting in 1993 where the future changes to F1 were decided for the period 1995-1999 (if Senna had not died).

It was in 2 parts, one considered electronic driver aids (which it banned for 1994) and the other the roadmap for technical regulations 1995-1999.

How these changes would have altered the cars was skewed by the tragedies of Imola 1994, with cars changing in a completely different direction.

Today it's easy to find how the cars actually changed from 1994 onwards, but how they were supposed to be changed had Weickershof been implemented is difficult. I'd like to know too if anyone knows.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

ChipAyten

I miss the lower wider stance.