TD Silly Season 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard
Richard

TD Silly Season 2013

Lowe at Merc puzzles me – it doesn’t stack up, there’s no space for Lowe.

I see it as political manoeuvring by people wanting to exert pressure. A bit like telling an errant child to stop misbehaving or you’ll take their toys away. It smells like someone at Merc trying to exert pressure on the existing people – “conform to my changes or I’ll replace you, I’ve already got Lowe lined up to step into your shoes”.

It works for Lowe because he’s in a win-win, either more money at McLaren, or a free reign to purge and remodel Merc with Totto’s as his patron.

To be honest I suspect all parties are probably thinking the status quo will remain once the people at Merc fall in line. Of course the risk is that the threat is carried out. That would trigger succession at McLaren and radical changes at Merc. The recent moves to Ferrari are interesting because they’ve mopped up the people looking to move. So that the means McLaren would be left empty handed when the music stops.

The advantage to McLaren is that a mix of internal succession plus some bright young things from lower teams might bring a surge of new energy. They might even uncover the next Newey while Ferrari and Merc are hoarding well established people who are set in their ways.

Whatever happens, it’s fascinating to see the 3 teams scrambling to grab the limited engineering talent in their desperation to catch up with RB (McL & Fer), and to appease Stuttgart (Merc)

Mika1
Mika1

Re: TD Silly Season 2013

Forget the drivers market (boring), this is the real silly season.

About your theory, Richard, it seems to me a bit far-fetched. Brawn and Fry have failed. They have had 3(!) seasons to perform and they did not. It's time for change. Lowe would be a great addition to the team. Furthermore, he knows Hamilton and what he wants to perform.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Shakeman

I thought it was interesting that Brawn openly admitted contact with Lowe which I think was more for consumption at Merc HQ than the public. Surely he would've said no comment or he couldn't possibly comment on rumour.

Brawn hasn't given his long term commitment to Merc, why? What's holding him back? This is one of the more interesting parts of the story.

Ball's in Stuttgart's court.

Gridlock

The fact that Bernie Ecclestone's favourite pigeon-cat-interface arranger was the one to bring up Lowe, much like he did with Hamilton, is interesting to me.

Also the rumours about Horner at Maranello and what that implies for Mr Newey, and I seem to recall Mr Bouillier was on shaky ground at certain points. Toro Rosso have their things going on, Force India might start to see rats fleeing the ship if the rumours are true there, Williams has lost a potential heir apparent, Asmat was far from impressed with the last-gasp 10th place his team delivered, silly season indeed. I guess John Booth is busy learning Russian to try and be the only safe one out there.

Cam

What I find even more interesting (disturbing) is Brawn's comments on Bernie -
The thing Bernie wants is a strong Mercedes. Hopefully he recognises I am an asset to the team.
So Brawn is basically publicly saying Bernie has a say in who goes where. Not that Mr Parr would argue that. What a terrible feeling to know that not only do you have to appease a board of directors, shareholders and fans - but you also have to continually be on the 'right' side of one man. No wonder they call it 'silly' season.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

lotus7
lotus7

Cam wrote:What I find even more interesting (disturbing) is Brawn's comments on Bernie -
The thing Bernie wants is a strong Mercedes. Hopefully he recognises I am an asset to the team.
So Brawn is basically publicly saying Bernie has a say in who goes where. Not that Mr Parr would argue that. What a terrible feeling to know that not only do you have to appease a board of directors, shareholders and fans - but you also have to continually be on the 'right' side of one man. No wonder they call it 'silly' season.
Next it will be your Prime Minister / President whatever telling you who you could marry ? Or who your employees or partners in you business must be ?

FW17

Bernie didn't want to deal with Brawn that is why Lauda was brought in by Merc to get a deal.

Brawn's clamor to the press kind of shows that there was no one else at Merc to state what he stated.

Very funny him talking about his succession plan at ferrai, which was to sit at home for a year.

CjC
CjC

Very good article-

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105274

Interesting to hear that neither Lowe or Allison are interested in a move.
Extremely good point about Mercedes potentially screwing up their own and mclarens plans for the 2014 season, leaving the door open for red bull and Ferrari and mr. Newey doesn't need any head starts....
Just a fan's point of view

Mika1
Mika1

Mercedes offered Lowe 1M, he will come soon. Money talks.
The boss follows me on twitter.

CjC
CjC

And to leave the door ajar for Newey to keep the titles at Milton keynes abit longer

CjC
CjC

Mika1 wrote:Mercedes offered Lowe 1M, he will come soon. Money talks.
1 million euros?

http://www.f1zone.net/news/mercedes-off ... ros/17483/

I heard Mclaren will offer 900k sterling so not much difference, if anything the Mclaren deal is more.... money might just do the talking....

Pup
Pup

Brawn is I think the undisputed king of pit-lane politics, so I take anything he says with a grain of salt. Or at least I keep suspicious of his motives. His implication that they've inked a deal with Lowe already - but that they don't want him - is a hugely destabilizing statement for an already thoroughly-poached McLaren engineering staff. Particularly if Lowe hadn't told them yet. And it's also a bit of an insult to Lowe himself. "Yeah, he's basically our 2nd choice."

I'm equally suspicious of the $1m figure. Lowe is good, but I don't see what he's done to warrant a Newey-level salary. Especially if he's only their back-up plan. Frankly, looking at Merc's technical staff directory, it's nothing but back-up plans. Jeez, how many technical directors do they need? It's like their primary strategy is to starve the competition of talent.

If I had to try to figure it all out, I'd suspect that Wolff offered Lowe the job, then got blocked by Brawn, who probably has an iron-clad contract. And he probably got an ear full from Hamilton, too, who never seemed all that hot on Lowe anyway, imo. So Brawn uses the press conference to throw Lowe under the bus, unsettling both Lowe and McLaren.

And what do you do now if you're Whitmarsh? Do you put Lowe on gardening leave so he doesn't ship all your IP to Merc? Are you forced to double his salary to keep him? Do you trust him even if he stays?

If I were him, I'd forget both Brawn and Lowe and I'd pitch a tent in front of the Lotus HQ, handing contracts to anybody who'd take one.

Cam

Money isn't everything. These guys want results. They want what Newey has got himself - big budget and carte blanche to do what he wants without fear or politics. All the top guys guys would take a paycut to be in that situation. What good is a multi-million paycheck when you never get your name engraved on the silver? Only a fool would chase the cash, when the history book pages are gold.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.