2013 Testing - Barcelona 1: 19 - 22 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: 2013 Testing - Barcelona 1: 19 - 28 Feb

dxpetrov wrote:I think as per the regulations teams are to submit new maps at the beginning of each season. What would be a point of testing if you're not allowed to readjust your map to best suit your engine? This is a ridicoulous rumor as always from AMuS.
Because Renault simply put is not interested in readjusting the map for the engine, but for the aero effects. FIA has its rules, but can be reasonable too if shown that the current situation they are stuck in really gives them reliability issues or other non-aero problems. Back in 2010 for instance Ferrari was allowed to make changes to their V8 engine, even though it was homologated, due reliability problems.
#AeroFrodo

dxpetrov

Teams are allowed to submit their engine maps before each season. As long as the maps are legal nobody can fault it, regardless if they have or not an aero benefit. Renault is not that stupid to submit a map with a clear link to the EBD system, which was obstructed by FIA in July 2012.

turbof1

dxpetrov wrote:Teams are allowed to submit their engine maps before each season. As long as the maps are legal nobody can fault it, regardless if they have or not an aero benefit. Renault is not that stupid to submit a map with a clear link to the EBD system, which was obstructed by FIA in July 2012.
Uh yes the FIA can fault them for that. The FIA took from last year a much stricter stance towards such mappings, and effectively outlaws mapping that goes against the spirit of the rules, contrary to the past were they would have allowed such solutions.
#AeroFrodo

dxpetrov

turbof1 wrote:
dxpetrov wrote:Teams are allowed to submit their engine maps before each season. As long as the maps are legal nobody can fault it, regardless if they have or not an aero benefit. Renault is not that stupid to submit a map with a clear link to the EBD system, which was obstructed by FIA in July 2012.
Uh yes the FIA can fault them for that. The FIA took from last year a much stricter stance towards such mappings, and effectively outlaws mapping that goes against the spirit of the rules, contrary to the past were they would have allowed such solutions.
I don't think you get me. I am exactly saying that. But they wouldn't be stupid to do so.The point is: every team is allowed to change the maps prior to the season. It doesn't have to be last season's map. Just needs to bu within the rules.

turbof1

Then I think it is not about stupidity; renault does not loose anything with trying to get mappings through that are against the spirit of the rules. If they get denied, no loss: they'll just send in more conservative ones. If they get allowed: even better.
#AeroFrodo

Neno

I am wondering why Mercedes and Ferrari maps arent illegal, they surely changed their last season maps for new season. I call this double standards by FIA. We can call them Ferrari International Assistance, Fernando International Assistance, its same for me what we call them but what i most hate in world are someones double standards, and this move was specialy related only on Lotus and Red Bull ("accidently" two fastest teams in moment), not Caterham or Williams. With this info FIA move specialy smells fishy.

RicerDude

CjC wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Credit to sky, Next test is being televised. Live on each day from 2pm onwards. First time ever for winter testing!! Cant wait!!!!! So glad BBC dont have exclusive rights anymore!!! GO SKY GO =D> =D>
Hell yea, Sky has improved the platform for english fans by far in my opinion.

Anyone seen the forecast for the next test? I know it's a long forecast prediction at the moment but it's not looking good for the first couple of days.
Does anyone know if there will be on-board footage for the final test on sky?

CjC
CjC

I'd doubt it if there is any on board action, I'm abit dubious about how much track action we will see, as Sky are the first and only broadcaster to televise a test session live they will have to employ all of the camera crews around the track and pitlane and I doubt they'll send 20 to 30 camera crews.... We shall find out on Thursday anyway
Just a fan's point of view

astracrazy

i'm sure i looked and it only starts at like 14:00? so perhaps it will just be a big highlights (covering the morning action) show with some live bits in the afternoon. I'm trying to decide if its going to be boring or not.

I can't imagine much commentary just a lot of pit lane reports from ted

foxmulder_ms

astracrazy wrote: ...just a lot of pit lane reports from ted

that will be awesome. :)

CjC
CjC

Juzh

"The governing body however, it seems, has agreed with Ferrari's stance and therefore both Red Bull and Lotus may be forced to adapt their exhaust systems as it's likely they have been designed to fully utilise the 'illegal' practice."

more @ http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/07286

CjC
CjC

Juzh wrote:"The governing body however, it seems, has agreed with Ferrari's stance and therefore both Red Bull and Lotus may be forced to adapt their exhaust systems as it's likely they have been designed to fully utilise the 'illegal' practice."

I know it's not the most reliable source but the article is claiming that they are 100% blowing off throttle, thought that was banned or am I being slow in the uptake here?

Juzh

CjC wrote:
Juzh wrote:"The governing body however, it seems, has agreed with Ferrari's stance and therefore both Red Bull and Lotus may be forced to adapt their exhaust systems as it's likely they have been designed to fully utilise the 'illegal' practice."

I know it's not the most reliable source but the article is claiming that they are 100% blowing off throttle, thought that was banned or am I being slow in the uptake here?
I think it's a bit exacerbated as well.

Shrieker

Shrieker wrote:The Renault powered cars again have a very distinctive overrun sound, and you can especially hear it on the Caterham.
Not surprised to hear that FIA are on RB's and Lotus' case tbh.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk