[SKY F1] Lowe to Merc is 'a done deal'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

[SKY F1] Lowe to Merc is 'a done deal'

McLaren Technical Diretor Paddy Lowe will not travel to the season-opening Australian GP with his move to Mercedes for 2014 'a done deal,' according to The Guardian.

The 50-year-old had been touted as a replacement for Silver Arrows Team Principal Ross Brawn, amidst a comprehensive management reshuffle in the Stuttgart manufacturer's F1 operation over the winter.

'Lowe will continue to be employed by McLaren through 2013, in accordance with his contract,' according to the paper's website.

'But he is not expected to be seen around the team and will take what is commonly referred to as "gardening leave." The last thing McLaren want is Lowe taking their secrets to Mercedes.'

Brawn admitted last month that Mercedes had indeed made an approach to Lowe as they sought to bolster an already formidable engineering roster, but added that he hoped to remain in charge for a "very long time."

Lowe appears to be one of the most in demand technical brains in the paddock, having been linked with a return to Williams in 2012.

Mercedes declined to comment when contacted by Sky Sports F1

Ferraripilot

Re: [SKY F1] Lowe to Merc is 'a done deal'

Even if there are 'too many cooks in the kitchen', you cannot blame Mercedes for taking guys such as Lowe and Costa out of the equation for other teams to scalp. I would rather have Lowe, Costa, whoever playing cards at Mercedes/Brackley than worrying about what they might be doing for their respective teams.

stefan_
stefan_

McLaren confirms Lowe departure for 2014

Paddy Lowe will leave McLaren at the end of the 2013 season, it was confirmed on Monday afternoon. Tim Goss has stepped up to become the outfit's Technical Director, while Lowe takes on another role before moving to rivals Mercedes.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

clipsy1H

stefan_ wrote:McLaren confirms Lowe departure for 2014

Paddy Lowe will leave McLaren at the end of the 2013 season, it was confirmed on Monday afternoon. Tim Goss has stepped up to become the outfit's Technical Director, while Lowe takes on another role before moving to rivals Mercedes.
i think the title should be: McLaren confirms Lowe departure for 2014 and Mercedes confirms Brawn departure for 2014

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

A year's paid leave of absence. Wow, I'd love that - so many things I'd like to get done this summer but work does insist that I turn up if I want to be paid...

On topic, I'd suggest that Hamilton (and possibly Rosberg too) will be sleeping better knowing that Lowe is on the way next year. I'm not so sure Ross Brawn will be though - although he no doubt has a suitably large "buy me out of here" clause in his contract.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Holm86

Will Goss still be chief designer when he now becomes technical director?? Or will McLaren hire someone else?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I wonder how much of hand Hamilton has in this.

I must say, I have been impressed by Hamilton's approach thus far, I didn't think he could lead a team but the Macca boy has had a great start at Merc. The team is noticeably better this year already... how much of that is down to Ham is unknown.

Interested in hearing others opinions.

raymondu999

Holm86 wrote:Will Goss still be chief designer when he now becomes technical director?? Or will McLaren hire someone else?
Wasn't Oatley chief deisgner? Goss was Chief Aero no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Holm86

"Tim Goss entered Formula 1 with Cosworth in 1986 before joining McLaren as a design engineer in 1990. He has held many roles within the team, including stints as chief test team engineer, head of vehicle dynamics and chief engineer powertrain – a role in which he oversaw the introduction of the sport’s first-ever seamless-shift gearbox in 2005.

Outgrowing his role as chief engineer, he was appointed director of engineering in January 2011. He oversees all aspects of car specification, top-level target-setting and priority engineering projects."

Source : http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/page/di ... ineering-1

Unc1e_M0nty

Just_a_fan wrote:A year's paid leave of absence. Wow, I'd love that - so many things I'd like to get done this summer but work does insist that I turn up if I want to be paid...
It doesn't sound like thats whats happening though, "Lowe will take on another role before moving to rivals Mercedes".

Sounds like they want to keep him busy so he can't do any work in secret for Mercedes, Macca is a big organisation and I'm sure there's lot's he can do away from the front line so to speake.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Headlines 1 year from today, Goss to Mercedes is a done deal, Mclaren left with only 3 members of staff.

iotar__

This Lowe switch was always a bit weird.

Principally because of huge changes of 2014 season. On one hand McLaren had to exclude him from development rather early, on the other he'll have nothing to do with new Mercedes car. Even if he could move earlier it was always going to be a project of a technical team put together by Brawn: Bell, Costa, Willis + aero guy from Lotus (Elliott(?)).

Which leads to a second question: how do they expect them to work together with Brawn. So Lowe is not going to be TD but someone more senior, overlooking technical side, while team is run by Wolff (business side) and Lauda - PR noise and comic relief. Where does it leave Brawn? Making strategy calls from the pitwall or what :wink: (let's call it "sporting side")? It's not like he hired Lowe as a "team principal".

One thing is certain, Mercedes must pay really well. Although I'm not sure what they expect to gain from that. Even if he's the greatest technical director in F1, in a short term it looks more like weakening McLaren than anything else at the moment.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

JimClarkFan wrote:I wonder how much of hand Hamilton has in this.

I must say, I have been impressed by Hamilton's approach thus far, I didn't think he could lead a team but the Macca boy has had a great start at Merc. The team is noticeably better this year already... how much of that is down to Ham is unknown.

Not much :-s I recall reading similar quotes attributed to Schumacher. I don't see the need to give drivers imaginary powers. :-s

Raptor22
Raptor22

JimClarkFan wrote:I wonder how much of hand Hamilton has in this.

Zero.
Merc are building a simpler car, something Schmacher wanted and it may be helping them or they may be running light, we won't know until Melbourne

flmkane
flmkane

Drivers have very real powers. Schumacher managed to pull a whole bunch of engineers to Ferrari and managed to convince Rory Byrne out of retirement. And during his era he was one of the hardest working drivers, he did more test driving than any other top driver.

Hamilton might have similar capabilities. However I for one am happy just to watch him race.