Honda returns to F1 in 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Honda returns to F1 in 2015

Pierce89 wrote:I know they could test it in a customer LMP car because the entire power unit is eligible for LMP1 next year. The FIA or whoever couldn't prevent from using the motor in a different race class.
Actually Jean Todt was instrumental to bring the LMP1 and F1 specs closer together. The FiA would like to see both series with similar engines because they think it would attract more manufacturers to both series. But FOM isn't pleased by that policy. They want to keep F1 very special and different. Personally I'm more in Todt's camp on the question.
On topic one has to say that all F1 manufacturers have the opportunity to run their F1 engines in LMP1, not only Honda.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pierce89 wrote:
spadeflush wrote:
Tobias Grüner F1 wrote: Heard rumors about Allison moving to Honda. But I also heard Honda is not allowed to test new engine in any kind of car. Only dyno.
Are they contractually bound?
I know they could test it in a customer LMP car because the entire power unit is eligible for LMP1 next year. The FIA or whoever couldn't prevent from using the motor in a different race class.
No, but they could prevent them from using the motor in F1 because it had been used in a different race class ;)

shelly
shelly

If this rumor about a test bed f1 car is true, will Honda use again Dallara as manufacturer-supplier? They worked together in 1998 and they are working together in IRL, F nippon
twitter: @armchair_aero

simplefan
simplefan

Not to worried about Honda testing anything beyond an engine on a testbed as the IP rules prohibit their getting information on what is being used either by Mercedes or Pirelli in 2014. They won't have access to either the specs or the actual tires in 2014 as that information and tire is IP shared only between Pirelli and legal entrants. The only Pirelli available might the tires used for demo runs and that would be a build for cars previous to 2014. Engine information is Mercedes IP and that should even limit the flow of McLaren engine related info to Honda.

Pierce89

beelsebob wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: I know they could test it in a customer LMP car because the entire power unit is eligible for LMP1 next year. The FIA or whoever couldn't prevent from using the motor in a different race class.
No, but they could prevent them from using the motor in F1 because it had been used in a different race class ;)
Surely not, as there's no rule to that effect, but then again, I wouldn't put anything past the F1 "governance".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cam

beelsebob wrote:No, but they could prevent them from using the motor in F1 because it had been used in a different race class ;)
Is that an actual current regulation, or are you suggesting it could be inserted in a timely fashion for the 2104 regulations (which have not been finalised have they?)?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Cam wrote:
beelsebob wrote:No, but they could prevent them from using the motor in F1 because it had been used in a different race class ;)
Is that an actual current regulation, or are you suggesting it could be inserted in a timely fashion for the 2104 regulations (which have not been finalised have they?)?
It's not currently in the rules, but it's something that could trivially be added. For reference, you're looking for appendix 4 of the sporting regs re the current engine homologation rules. The 2014 sporting regs have not even been published in draft state yet. Note, if the homologation rules are phrased in the same way, then come 2014, Honda will actually have to deliver their engine to the FIA before the 2014 season, and will not be able to change it after that.

WhiteBlue

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... gulations/
There is a rumor that Honda will enter an LMP1 20124 with Wirth. In that case Allison may join that project. They could have an LMP1 test mule for the engine and McLaren build their 2015 car with Allison when his gardening leave expires. That would make some sense.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MOWOG

This is not DIRECTLY related to this thread, but it does sort of illustrate the corporate culture of Honda:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... xy4n0UT82o[/youtube]
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

djos

A very clever ad but Honda have been almost as boring as Toyota for years now!

I don't even consider their cars (or Toyota's) now when buying a car!
"In downforce we trust"

WhiteBlue

Honda announce new European base for F1 in Milton Keynes
Yasuhisa Arai wrote: With the confirmation of a new F1 operation base in UK, our preparation to join F1 has become more specific and concrete. To meet and exceed the expectations of our fans, we will accelerate our development to bring back the unique Honda engine sound onto the track.

gary123

MOWOG

Honda denies plans for 2014 Honda test car

Honda has categorically denied reports it will build a test car in order to get track running of McLaren's 2015 engine off to an early start. We reported last month that work on a Honda test car could start this year, long before the Japanese marque is bound by F1's regulations governing its 2015 foray. "This (report) is untrue," McLaren spokesman told us at the time.

Honda has now issued the same denial. "We will not build such a vehicle," Speed Week correspondent Rob La Salle quoted Honda chief Yasuhisa Arai as saying. "The first track testing will happen during the winter testing ahead of the 2015 season," he announced.

Arai said Honda's test benches in Tochigi, Japan, are so good that building a bespoke test car is not necessary. "I've heard the rumours," he admitted, "but we have no such plans."
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

SectorOne

MOWOG wrote:Honda denies plans for 2014 Honda test car

"Honda has categorically denied reports it will build a test car in order to
Ron Dennis who wrote the article? :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive
xpensive

MOWOG wrote:Honda denies plans for 2014 Honda test car
And what did you xpect them to say, are all New England liberals this gullible when they come of age? :mrgreen:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"