TV coverage of F1 in Germany

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sebp

TV coverage of F1 in Germany

The season hasn't started proper yet, but I'm already anticipating being thoroughly aggravated by the annoying no-good commentator pair Christian Danner and Heiko Wasser of RTL. As I live in Germany my only alternative is German Sky as it seems. But if I'm going to pay I'd prefer spending it on the English counterpart. Does any of you know how that can be arranged legally without proxy servers and all that annoying stuff?
Any other countries out there where free coverage is equally bad?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Sebp

Re: TV coverage of F1 in Germany

No words...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8c_j0PtZL0[/youtube]

lebesset
lebesset

legally ? yes
oficially ? no

in france there are companies who will fiddle this for you , otherwise needs to be done to a uk address , maybe somebody sells thisin germany ?

how about a compromise ?
the BBC broadcasts 10 races complete [ all sessions ] live and free ; the others highlights [ qually plus race ] ...the race is virtually complete with any boring bits cut out , and frankly the qually highlights are better than watching live , what I do even when live is available

all you need is a satellite system with a dish big enough to receive channel 5 from Astra2 where you are in germany , at the moment the BBC is on a broad spread satellite , but is going to be changed to a narrow beam one in the summer , same as channel 5 is already on ...so you can use that as a test for the future
best sort of satellite receiver is a proper uk freesat branded one , maybe £70 for a HD one...it has freesat plus a logo of multicoloured dots on the box ...it gives auto updates /EPG for astra2 ; you can also get uk radio on this system , including radio5 live which covers F1
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Pandabeer
Pandabeer

Sebp wrote:The season hasn't started proper yet, but I'm already anticipating being thoroughly aggravated by the annoying no-good commentator pair Christian Danner and Heiko Wasser of RTL. As I live in Germany my only alternative is German Sky as it seems. But if I'm going to pay I'd prefer spending it on the English counterpart. Does any of you know how that can be arranged legally without proxy servers and all that annoying stuff?
Any other countries out there where free coverage is equally bad?
I guess i'll just write in German:

Ich hatte genau das gleiche Problem wie du - Ich habe kein Sky und somit bleibt mir nur RTL. Da ich aber nun nach zwei Jahren Formel 1 mit RTL nicht mehr ganz zufrieden bin, habe ich für 2013 etwas investiert. Einmal habe ich mir einen UK-VPN gekauft (den hatte ich aber schon vorher) damit kann ich neun Rennen über den BBC iPlayer schauen, mehr überträgt BBC ja nicht. Für die anderen Rennen gibt es ein paar nette Streaming-Seiten, für die man ~5 EUR pro Monat bezahlen muss. Die bieten dir dann alle möglichen Sportübertragungen wie z.B Bundesliga/Championsleague/Sky Cinema HD/Sky Action aber eben auch Formel 1 in HD (1280x720) per deutschem Sky. Mag zwar nicht so toll sein wie die UK-Truppe, aber die deutsche Sky-Truppe ist wesentich besser als RTL. Damit denke ich, habe ich gut ausgesorgt für die Formel 1-Saison 2013.

Wenn du da Interesse an den Streaming-Seiten hast, schick mir eine PN, dann kann ich dir sagen bei welchem "Anbieter" ich bin.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Another way, although it is a bit "aufwendig" ;-) is to use a larger sat dish (here in Regensburg I have a 1m dish) at the UK Astra satellites 28.2° vs.19.2° for Germany, and pick up a Freesat or Freesat HD Tuner. You get all the free UK channels, and there are only hardware prices to pay - no monthly fees. Of course, the closer you are to the island, the smaller (and cheaper) the dish will need to be. The tuner can be bought over Ebay UK.

Receiver costed 70GBP and the dish around €120 including mounting accessories. The advantage is that I have no monthly fees to worry about. I also have Sky Deutschland, but picked up the sat box last year while visiting for the other programs (I'm an American who's been living in Germany for over 20 years now, and was missing my English TV shows). If you live closer to the island than I do (Regensburg), then the dish can be smaller and cheaper. Check out http://www.lyngsat.com for more info about the sat reception.
I also have German Sky, which is worlds better than RTL, but BBC is by far the best.

Enjoy the season!
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sebp

Thx for the advice folks, really appreciated! I think I'll go with Blanchimont's suggestion...