Australian GP at Melbourne dry ice before race?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pgfpro

Australian GP at Melbourne dry ice before race?

What's with the dry ice box before the race when they were on the grid???
building the perfect beast

mx_tifoso

Re: Australian GP at Melbourne dry ice befroe race???

It's to give the blowers a source of super cold air.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

pgfpro

Re: Australian GP at Melbourne dry ice befroe race???

mx_tifoso wrote:It's to give the blowers a source of super cold air.
Cool Thanks!!!

Its the first time I ever noticed, still somewhat new to f1
building the perfect beast

snoop1050

Re: Australian GP at Melbourne dry ice before race?

sometimes they pack the radiators with dry ice to keep the engines cool while they are on the grid or used to

stefan_

I remember being very impressed when I saw dry ice for the first time used to cool down the radiators of a Formula 1 car. It was at Suzuka 1998 (I was 9) and the mechanics were just sticking their hand inside of the sidepod to put dry ice.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Cam

Here's some pics from Malaysia 2012 - showing the ice being packed into a blower.
Not sure if this is the blower with dry ice in it, but you can get the gist.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

As mentioned, they also can use it to cool the drivers - or hide which driver is racing.....
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

aussiegman

Cam wrote:As mentioned, they also can use it to cool the drivers - or hide which driver is racing.....
http://www.lolwtf.com.au/F1/dry_ice_3.png
Maybe cool the compartment, but with that much CO2 gas/H20 vapor I wouldn't want to be sitting in the middle of it just before going racing. Maintaining O2 blood sats is hard enough and very important during a race let alone starting behind the 8 ball by sitting in a cloud of CO2 :lol:
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction