Fox bought ESPN Star in Asia

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
siskue2005

Fox bought ESPN Star in Asia

this maynot be any news for people in europe but we in Asia had to content with espnstar's poor telecast of F1 races for the past 14 yrs since i have been watching F1....
We dont get free practices at all (live/relive), we dont get quly live sometimes, and the race is the only thing consistently broadcasting live......moreover there are all commentated by really crappy people who dont even know some basic car stuff and some started out as children's show presenters :wtf: (example STEVE SLATER) :x

This guy has ruined many of my f1 races for the past 14 yrs....he just repeats the same stuff again and again year after year...frankly i can just mute my tv and watch the race alone. He confuses all the stuff, often confusing drivers and make us even more confused. And his balant bias to some drivers are pretty boring and unimpressive. His uneducated f1 technical explanation (which he usually reads from forums) are a real pain in the back side. Those who are from Asia would agree with some of my opinions. It was good when we had Chris Goodwin (Bruno senna's driver instructor) as he would correct Steve some times, but without him he was in insanity sometimes..... frankly speaking this guy is joke.

But now after 14 yrs things have changed. we have FOX now bought espn and now we get SKY sports f1's direct broadcast with all the free practice sessions LIVE and a bonus the entire SKY commentary team including MARTIN BRUNDLE =D> it was a pleasure watching the race and free practice with Matin et al for the first time in my life =D>

siskue2005

Re: Fox bought ESPN Star in Asia

so no one from asia here?! :shock:

kris
kris

siskue2005 wrote:so no one from asia here?! :shock:
We had the great gary andeson too at times..

JamtriX
JamtriX

Yes I agree with the both of you, I'm from the Philippines, and now I'm very much happy with how it is covered today. Its much more interesting now to listen to the commentators. Its much more technical today which I really like. To be fair with Steve Slater, he has done an OK job IMO. But what I really like is the coverage of the free practice sessions, more F1 tv time for me. :lol:

aussiegman
aussiegman

I'm in HKG most of the time and the current Fox Sports coverage and commentary is 1000x better than Steve SLATER and his absolutely pitiful and biased attempts at coverage.

He was often wrong as to which the drivers/cars were on screen, was hugely biased for Button, Hamilton and anything UK to a fault and was then was constantly corrected on countless technical and strategic matters by the "commentator of the week" Star Sports dropped in to fill the spot.

Alex YOONG and Karun CHANDHOK invariably could barely contain their contempt and frustration at his stupidity.

Now if they can just get rid of the Nico Rosberg loving Paula Malai Ali (if you've ever been to a Singapore GP you'll know what I am alluding too) who has no idea and as she is really only there to look at (and she doesn't do a really good job of that either) get someone decent in the number 2 seat they might actually have a decent commentary team.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

rssh

siskue2005 wrote:so no one from asia here?! :shock:
I have seen espn star sport dreaded commentary since 5 years :D

I am happy about the practice and qualy feed because they hardly get ad breaks in between . I love the sky commentary expect that their analysis section is excluded for us . I am still no fan of the 6-7 breaks of 4 mins in between the race (I use live internet streaming).

FW17

Is it a general consensus here that MARTIN BRUNDLE is not biased?

aussiegman
aussiegman

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is it a general consensus here that MARTIN BRUNDLE is not biased?
Ahhhh HELL NO!!! :lol:
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

siskue2005

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is it a general consensus here that MARTIN BRUNDLE is not biased?
at least he has other great qualities like driver's point of view and technical know how to overcome his bias :)

Harsha
Harsha

In Austin Practice session When a Team was using Flow viz paint on its Front wing with Prime tires i think and The Mighty Steve Slater said "What in a Dry Session Why this team is running Intermediate Tires"
But its good for us in Asia as we can watch the FP sessions too with sky and i love David croft and Martin Brundle Commentary.
I hope they completely reboot the Star team and show the Sky team so that we can have the Complete analysis of Every session

JamtriX
JamtriX

Agree!

rssh

Harsha wrote:In Austin Practice session When a Team was using Flow viz paint on its Front wing with Prime tires i think and The Mighty Steve Slater said "What in a Dry Session Why this team is running Intermediate Tires"
But its good for us in Asia as we can watch the FP sessions too with sky and i love David croft and Martin Brundle Commentary.
I hope they completely reboot the Star team and show the Sky team so that we can have the Complete analysis of Every session
I don't agree I pray for it w/o ADs ofcourse.

spadeflush

Feels great to have all practice sessions shown live on TV, no more scampering for streaming links.Having Sky commentary is the icing on the cake. Although there are periods of incoherent/disrupted commentary after commercial breaks, its still worth it considering the coverage we got in the past 14-15 years. The team of Steve Slater and Chris Goodwin was the best team Star Sports ever had but after Goodwin left and over the past few years Steve Slater had kind of lost the plot. Back in the day he used to be the voice of F1 for us so due respect to him for that.

I hope they try and get us more of Sky's coverage like Brundle's Pit Walk. Raceday is still very boring.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules