Why I don't think COTA helps F1 in the states

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
alpen

Why I don't think COTA helps F1 in the states

Anyone else tried to book tickets today? How about accommodations for the past few months? I don't know who is being greedy, be it COTA or Austin, but this whole blocking of hotel rooms and only selling for x number of nights through COTA website for obscene prices is ridiculous. I can't even book a free room with points or a certificate like I did last year because there's no "standard" rooms available.

How about Ticketmaster for the tickets? I for one can't stand the crap shoot they do for getting your seats, it's not about "fair" it's about luck plain and simple. I spent almost 2 hours searching today before giving up including during most of the presale. :evil: What was wrong with last years' sales and picking your seats? I can't help but feel all they are focussing on is $$$ and not about people who actually care about the sport or new true fans, should you have to be rich to follow F1? Hell no, but they are celebritizing this to be even more of a glamour event than F1 normally is.

Rant over, just vexed...All I want is my tickets and a bed... :( Am I alone in feeling this way or anyone else think this is becoming a farce? Looking even more forward to NY and here's hoping they don't f**k it up too [-o<

*and yes before it comes up, I have been fortunate enough to go tp other Grand Prix in other Asia, Europe and Australia so I do have a feel for the costs, glamour etc.

Scorpaguy

Re: Why I don't think COTA helps F1 in the states

Agreed...the pre-sale....the PSL...insane rates...wierd package details. I gave up...I will wait for the new to wear off. I live in an adjoining state and find it a bettter value to travel to Europe for a WRC event for a week!

dren

I drove all the way from Indiana to Austin last year for the race. It was a good time, even with the general admission tickets. I plan to do it again if they aren't hard to get. They are a bit pricey though. I remember when it was $45 to get into Indy and parking was $10 in someone's yard.
Honda!

bhall

alpen wrote:[...]

I can't help but feel all they are focussing on is $$$ and not about people who actually care about the sport or new true fans...
What on Earth gave you that idea? Was it the $3,000 PSLs for good seats? The $300-600 three-day passes for a seat somewhere? Or was it the $200 parking for cars?

Hey, it's better than the $15,000 (that's not a typo) they charge for RV parking.

It would be one thing if those prices reflected Ecclestone's notoriously outrageous fees. In this case, however, Texas taxpayers foot that bill, and as long as there are fools willing to pay those prices anyway, that's just the way it's gonna be.

(For what's worth, F1 is F1's worst enemy, because no one involved at any level is concerned with sustainability. It's just, "Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme!")

Jersey Tom

alpen wrote:I don't know who is being greedy, be it COTA or Austin
I think there's more than just that.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dren

bhallg2k wrote:
alpen wrote:[...]

I can't help but feel all they are focussing on is $$$ and not about people who actually care about the sport or new true fans...
What on Earth gave you that idea? Was it the $3,000 PSLs for good seats? The $300-600 three-day passes for a seat somewhere? Or was it the $200 parking for cars?

Hey, it's better than the $15,000 (that's not a typo) they charge for RV parking.

It would be one thing if those prices reflected Ecclestone's notoriously outrageous fees. In this case, however, Texas taxpayers foot that bill, and as long as there are fools willing to pay those prices anyway, that's just the way it's gonna be.

(For what's worth, F1 is F1's worst enemy, because no one involved at any level is concerned with sustainability. It's just, "Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme!")
$15k...woah...
Honda!