Tyre Suggestions

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LHamilton

Tyre Suggestions

Well, with the tyres getting a lot of critic this season, I wanted to make a topic about it and ask your thoughts about it and how you would want it to be.

Personally, I feel that the tyres we have now, with a lot of stops is just not good enough. I want to see people going flatout and drive as fast as they can. The whole point of getting these tyres was to make it more "pass-friendly", however, I think that with DRS and KERS, there is enough of it to make it happen, even if we would bring back the bridgestone era.

Couldnt we make the tyres as durable as possible, i.e Bridgestone, but force the teams to make 2 stops instead of 1. Then we get 2 stops and more room for strategies and still having the pressure of getting the pitstops right (something that seems to be welcomed by the members in the teams) as well as the drivers going go flat out.

Another benefit from getting more durable tyres could be that we would see more running in FP1, since you wont take the life of your tyres straight away, which the teams feared they would do if they got out in those circumstances this season.

Your thoughts? Please share.

Sorry for my english :)

EDIT: I saw that tyre discussions belong to another part of the forum, so if you want to delete this one, its okay.

mep

Re: Tyre Suggestions

I think that they should bring back refueling rather than having tires which need to be nursed all the time.
We have followed this now for a while. The tires don't really open up many strategy options. As soon as one driver of a pack goes to the pits the others need to react immediately. We have seen that twice in this race. It is only a waiting game. Even when one car handles the tires better, the driver can't afford to stay out much longer because the effect of new tires is to big. With refueling you commited yourself to a strategy much earlier. A heavy refueled car would not react to a light fueled car going to pits because it would then take a big penalty for running with the high fuel load earlier on.

I already know that many people will disagree and bring up safety concerns. However the real reason why refueling was banned is not the safety issue. It was purely to make F1 look green. Everybody was aware that F1 burns a lot of fuel when you see the cars going to pits all the time. However, these engines still consume exactly the same amount of fuel. Just that nobody is aware with how many liters of fuel they go to the start line.

muhammadtalha-13

2010 tyres with DRS will be great.

Nando

Bring back refuelling and proper tires.

Fuel saving from early points in the race (like in Hamilton´s case) and not racing at all because the tires might blow up before you finish the race is quite ridiculous now.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Sebp

Let's have it the 80's way. Make the tyres as durable as possible and limit the fuel load. And then allow the drivers to adjust their turbo-boost themselves.
What I'd like on top of that is no interference with turbo-boosting from the pit wall. Let the drivers suss out over a couple of races how much they can crank up the boost.
With rules like that in place nobody would need DRS. I say ban that silly stuff if you can't use it where you want to.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

beelsebob

Sebp wrote:Let's have it the 80's way. Make the tyres as durable as possible and limit the fuel load. And then allow the drivers to adjust their turbo-boost themselves.
What I'd like on top of that is no interference with turbo-boosting from the pit wall. Let the drivers suss out over a couple of races how much they can crank up the boost.
With rules like that in place nobody would need DRS. I say ban that silly stuff if you can't use it where you want to.
Right, because they wouldn't just run different boosts in race sims in testing, figure out the perfect boost, and then all run that near continuously. Wait...

langwadt

Sebp wrote:Let's have it the 80's way. Make the tyres as durable as possible and limit the fuel load. And then allow the drivers to adjust their turbo-boost themselves.
please no fuel limit, then it would just be a fuel economy race instead of a tire economy race, a fuel flow limit I like but not a fuel amount limit

Fuel is already limited to a degree in that the more fuel the heavier and slower they are

if they want more pitstops, just mandate that they have to do x number of stops

beelsebob

langwadt wrote:
please no fuel limit, then it would just be a fuel economy race instead of a tire economy race, a fuel flow limit I like but not a fuel amount limit

Fuel is already limited to a degree in that the more fuel the heavier and slower they are

if they want more pitstops, just mandate that they have to do x number of stops
On the contrary – fuel flow limitation is far worse than total fuel limitation. With a total fuel limitation, teams can vary the amount they use throughout the race, but ultimately, have an average amount they must use per lap. That is, they have a fuel flow limit, but can go above it temporarily in return for pain either before or after.

A fuel flow limit by contrast allows no such flexibility, and hence leads to much less interesting racing, while at the same time effectively giving you the same limitation.

Sebp

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't want them to have less fuel than today. Come to think of it, let the drivers and teams stick their heads together and find the best compromise between a heavy car with lots of turbo boost and vice versa.
All I'd like is the option for the driver to be in total control of that boost. This way we could get rid of DRS and make KERS a passive system.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

NowyszRacing6

I totally agree with the original post, we need to do something to bring back the intensity of battles between drivers and let them push for more of the race. What happened between vettel/webber in malaysia is all down to the team being worried they'd both destroy their tires and/or run out of fuel, and told them not to race. If they could push all through the race, we probably would have seen a longer and more fair fight. Not to mention it'd be the same with rosberg and hamilton too. these rules are directly hurting the racing, even if we have "more passing".

muhammadtalha-13

BRIDGESTONE Potenza for 2014 [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

raymondu999

Let's look at this methodically.

Obviously even in today's races there are drivers pushing more than others. Reason being? They're on an X+1 stop strategy, rather than the X-stoppers. (see Alonso on 3-stop, versus Kimi on 2-stop in Melbourne). Being the hellraiser hot-rod driver, however, has several disadvantages:
  • They wear the tyres out quicker
  • They need more pitstops
Not much we can do about tyres wearing out, because no matter what tyre you have, the more you push the more it will wear and/or degrade. But we can however help with the pitstops. You could reduce the time disadvantage of having pitstops. Increase the pitlane speed limit, and pitstops will plummet in disadvantage. If a pitstop costs "only" 13 seconds, rather than 20 seconds, more people will tend to go for the 3-stop rather than 2-stop.

Sure there's the safety aspect, but... they'll adapt, IMO.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

vehicle_dynamics

Refuelling and a "new" tire-war is the solution.

Regards

Jersey Tom

vehicle_dynamics wrote:Refuelling and a "new" tire-war is the solution.
It's hard enough to convince a tire company that F1 is worth their time as it is, with how damn expensive it is and what you get out of it. As I've said, there's a reason why Bridgestone left in the first place, and why Michelin and Goodyear and others weren't really that interested in hopping on board.

To talk multiple tire companies to come into the series in open competition (= even more spending) would be a tough sell.

However, it would be cool... and fun for the engineers to be able to compete with another supplier. May have kept me at my previous employment if that had ever happened!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

beelsebob

vehicle_dynamics wrote:Refuelling and a "new" tire-war is the solution.
You know, this is what frustrates me about this forum. It's meant to be a technical forum. At least to me, that means that no matter what our assertion is, we back it up with logic, facts, and technical data. Simply making an assertion of truth, with no reasoning behind it is extremely frustrating.

Personally, my reasoning here would be simple:
Refuelling has already been ruled out on safety grounds. That's not coming back.
A tyre war would do nothing but make all the teams jump to the more durable and grippy tyre. This would mean that the FIA could no longer ask the tyre suppliers to make the tyres deliberately degrade fast, as that directly contradicts the goals of the company in wanting to sell their tyre to as many teams as possible. This would mean that we would see the tyres get inevitably better and better, and it would come down to 1 stoppers 1 lap from the end again.

That's not what I want to see in an F1 race.

My guess is that the only reasoning you have for wanting the above is that you started watching F1 in the ~2000 era, and that's what it had then, so that's what you don't want any change from.