The Formula 1 Message Board Fan...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

The Formula 1 Message Board Fan...

How is it that when I come here and I go to the race threads; or the car threads; or some other threads on the general forum, which involves the discussion of complex information, member will, by and large, act in an intelligent, rational, clear thinking and respectful way?

YET...

When something happens their favourite team, or their favourite driver, or facts are presented in a manner that they (perhaps you) don't agree with, much of these same people breakdown into bickering, delusion, self righteousness, misrepresentation of facts and in some cases out right lies?

Of all these traits the most annoying is the self righteousness which comes from many seemingly thinking they are either 1) of the belief that they are smarter than they really are, 2) of the belief that they know more about F1 than the current designers or journalists, or 3.) of the belief that their opinion actually matters and that they have some kind of special F1 insight.

By way of an example, often you will find comments on articles posted by serious journalists/former F1 participants/ or technical analysts, informing them that their analysis is rubbish, even when the facts are clear and the insight given is an honest opinion - which makes me very angry.

As a consequence, there are now topics which are pretty much of limits; driver discussion, your favourite team, politics, team orders... topics which I would like to discuss but unfortunately cannot do so here.

Would it be too much to ask for you to stop, think, change your opinion if you are wrong and then post in a measured way?
Is it possible for the F1 message board fan to know his knowledge limits and behave accordingly?
How about if I said please?
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 25 Mar 2013, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

zonk
zonk

Re: The Formula 1 Message Board Fan...

human nature....

bhall
bhall

JimClarkFan wrote:[...]

As a consequence, there are now topics which are pretty much of limits; driver discussion, your favourite team, politics, team orders... topics which I would like to discuss but unfortunately cannot do so here.

Would it be too much to ask for you to stop, think, change your opinion if you are wrong and then post in a measured way?
Is it possible for the F1 message board fan to know his knowledge limits and behave accordingly?
Welcome to f1TECHNICAL.net. Enjoy your stay.

Cam

JimClarkFan wrote:Would it be too much to ask for you to stop, think, change your opinion if you are wrong and then post in a measured way?
Something, something, something, glass houses. No-one is perfect, including me, including yourself, so it's not really fair to ask other to adhere to standards you do not keep yourself. The rules about posting are there for all to read and the mods do a pretty good job keeping things on track. Maybe have some perspective on how hard it is trying to manage all these users - the current results are more than reasonable.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Cam wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Would it be too much to ask for you to stop, think, change your opinion if you are wrong and then post in a measured way?
Something, something, something, glass houses. No-one is perfect, including me, including yourself, so it's not really fair to ask other to adhere to standards you do not keep yourself. The rules about posting are there for all to read and the mods do a pretty good job keeping things on track. Maybe have some perspective on how hard it is trying to manage all these users - the current results are more than reasonable.
I'm not complaining about MODs, they do a fine job keeping the riff raff to a minimum, having been a MOD I know what that is like - how did you come to that conclusion? And yes I have took positions which were wrong, but I don't argue when I am wrong and I think I know when enough is enough.
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 25 Mar 2013, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Cam

JimClarkFan wrote:
Cam wrote:
I'm not complaining about MODs, they do a fine job keeping the riff raff out. Perhaps an apology?
JimClarkFan - you've been as bad as anyone on here at times, so if you're going play by you own rules - then apology accepted. Thanks.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Cam wrote: JimClarkFan - you've been as bad as anyone on here at times, so if you're going play by you own rules - then apology accepted. Thanks.
Dam you're fast, couldn't even get my edit in on time lol.

Cam

JimClarkFan wrote:
Cam wrote: JimClarkFan - you've been as bad as anyone on here at times, so if you're going play by you own rules - then apology accepted. Thanks.
Dam you're fast, couldn't even get my edit in on time lol.
lol.... you left yourself open for that one.
― Socrates