Racing line Bahrain Corners 9-10

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Racing line Bahrain Corners 9-10

There seem to be two different styles of racing line for this corner.

Line 1: is what I would consider the more 'traditional racing line' taken by Alonso and Button, is to clip the Apex at turn 9
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4ds_lMgpA[/youtube]

Line 2: taken by Hamilton, Rosberg is to run out wide, lengthening the corner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22231492

What is going is here, what are the merits to the differing lines?

Pierce89

Re: Racing line Bahrain Corners 9-10

I once read that not clipping the apex in 9 allows Lewis to brake straighter. I do know he's run slightly wider through 9 all through his F1 career.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

timbo
timbo

I think tighter line allows a bit more speed into 9, but makes turning around 10 harder. Wider line requires more rotation in 9, but gives more room for 10, sort of late apexing if you consider 9-10 as a single corner.
9-10 is really nice, a tricky and interesting to watch.

Slife
Slife

Maybe one line is better for overtaking ?

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

i know its a game but on F1 2012 for xbox when i take turn 9 over the apex i have to brake and turn a little harder which makes it harder to turn in for turn 10. if i miss the apex i always seem to take a smoother line while braking and turn in and get on the power a lot faster in turn 10

Gridlock

2 drivers in the same team doing the different lines would be pretty much the only way to rule out car handling (kerb riding, braking stability, etc etc etc) as the differentiator.

Nickel
Nickel

I also think it's about the car. I *think* the wider line allows the driver to get on the power earlier. Taking that thought further, I believe the Mercedes drivers adopt this line in an effort to round out the application of throttle versus Alonso's line, which appears to lead to a more on/off application of the throttle?

Wouldn't it be great to see the same car do both to compare speed in, speed at the end of the straight, overall time etc?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Gridlock wrote:2 drivers in the same team doing the different lines would be pretty much the only way to rule out car handling (kerb riding, braking stability, etc etc etc) as the differentiator.
Jenson and Lewis took different lines last year.
There are defintely two trains of thought when it comes to this corner.

krisfx
krisfx

allstaruk08 wrote:i know its a game but on F1 2012 for xbox when i take turn 9 over the apex i have to brake and turn a little harder which makes it harder to turn in for turn 10. if i miss the apex i always seem to take a smoother line while braking and turn in and get on the power a lot faster in turn 10

Haha this corner is a joke on 2012 if you don't use ABS! Apologies for off topic!

raymondu999

krisfx wrote:
allstaruk08 wrote:i know its a game but on F1 2012 for xbox when i take turn 9 over the apex i have to brake and turn a little harder which makes it harder to turn in for turn 10. if i miss the apex i always seem to take a smoother line while braking and turn in and get on the power a lot faster in turn 10

Haha this corner is a joke on 2012 if you don't use ABS! Apologies for off topic!
Given what is available to the public - I'd consider F1 2012, as arcadey a game as it may be, as a (very) rudimentary F1 driving simulator.

"It's a joke" is hardly a useful point to contribute. Perhaps you could share with us your line/technique through there, and how the car reacts?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

krisfx
krisfx

raymondu999 wrote:
krisfx wrote:

Given what is available to the public - I'd consider F1 2012, as arcadey a game as it may be, as a (very) rudimentary F1 driving simulator.

"It's a joke" is hardly a useful point to contribute. Perhaps you could share with us your line/technique through there, and how the car reacts?
Yeah sound, if you don't use ABS you lock up the fronts every time regardless of pressure and size, if you move the bias back you snap the rears on the downshift and the back steps out. I take the same line that Alonso runs through there, braking just after turn 9 because the game braking distances are absolutely shocking. Also turn 4 has a bumpy exit what spins you about 30% of the time if you don't run with traction control on xbox. I run with a controller, but that should be no excuse. Given the initial post being a little off topic, I didn't expect to have to provide any more info than that.