Long Beach back on F1 calendar?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fritticaldi

Long Beach back on F1 calendar?

An article appearing in Le Journal de Montreal and written by Louis Butcher makes mention that F1 may return to Long Beach California. The current contract with Indycar expires after the 2014 edition. A delegation is supposed to attend the Canadian GP this June. The USA West GP was a fixture on the F1 calendar from 1976-1983.

MOWOG

Re: Long Beach back on F1 calendar?

Michael Andretti has pooh poohed the rumor. And if anyone in the US knows anything about Formula One, it is Michael Andretti! :twisted:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

wesley123
wesley123

I dont see why F1 would even want that(ofc money, but outside of that I cant think of any reason)
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ral
Ral

wesley123 wrote:I dont see why F1 would even want that(ofc money, but outside of that I cant think of any reason)
So, what you're saying is: F1 wants that. :wink:

example
example

They have confirmed the electrical formula.

wesley123
wesley123

Yeah because of the cash F1 pretty much wants that. But that is pretty much all, the US doesnt like F1, they never did, and probably never will, so why race there twice?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Wesley, I don't think that you should generalize like that about the US, more people like it than you can imagine but the problem lies in that the don't "love" it. I constantly run into people who like it or know a little about it, but it's not enough.

And Long Beach? :wtf:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

beardRage
beardRage

wesley123 wrote:Yeah because of the cash F1 pretty much wants that. But that is pretty much all, the US doesnt like F1, they never did, and probably never will, so why race there twice?
'Murika here...

Why Long Beach and what happened to Jersey? While I'm at it, I have to ask. Why not Laguna Seca? I think that would be a fun race.
The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

wesley123
wesley123

Maybe they like it yes, but afaik they dont go and watch every race, sure there are a few, but not masses like in Europe.

Partially a problem is that F1 is pricing itself out of the market, Indycar/NASCAR tickets are much cheaper afaik and are much more open to the fans, a difference there is that they have things like the Indycars and NASCAR, we dont have that here, we have F1.

EDIT: I also doubt Long Beach has the required FIA license to host a F1 race, and I also doubt their track is in a condition that it will get one

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It's not a problem if a circuit isn't currently approved by F1, because that can be done easily with some investments to take it up to these specs.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:Yeah because of the cash F1 pretty much wants that. But that is pretty much all, the US doesnt like F1, they never did, and probably never will, so why race there twice?
That's one of the most idiotic over generalizations I've ever read. F1T actually has quitea few US fans(myself and BHall2gk are both from the US to name a couple also Jersey Tom)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

The U.S. could likely sustain four to six grands prix each year without breaking a sweat. (The races staged in Indianapolis regularly trounced legacy venues like Silverstone and Magny-Cours in terms of attendance.) The reason why that hasn't happened is because there are but a few organizers here willing to bend over for Bernie Ecclestone and his outrageous fees, but that should not be mistaken for a lack of interest.

FW17

Isn't 1.9 mile too short for an f1 track? Is there any proposed extension?