Big-Data, Business Intelligence, Tech Innovation in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
haseeb.virk
haseeb.virk

Big-Data, Business Intelligence, Tech Innovation in F1

Hello All,

I am currently in the final semester of my MSc in Information systems management & Innovation from the University of Warwick's Business School. During this year I have been introduced to a number of concepts that have opened up my mind to the world of Technology and management. One of the most intriguing ones has been Big-Data, Business Intelligence & the impact that it can have on businesses, individuals, organizations, states etc.

Throughout my life, I have been a massive sports fan. Formula 1 has been on the top of that list for quite a while! When the time came for deciding a topic for my final dissertation, I thought about combining my passion for F1 and the understanding that i have developed about Big-Data.

You guys would know a lot better than me, but I think that Data is the back-bone for technology development, and gaining an edge over your rivals. Data is gathered from wind tunnel test, track-days, tests, simulations, race weekends through sensors and other forms. This is then transformed into information which helps teams develop their cars. teams which are able to collect the best data, analyse it to the best possible manner, turn it into the most productive information are able to come up with cars that have that edge over their rivals. This whole process fascinates me..

Furthermore, during a race, data is being streamed back to the pits in Tera-bytes and Tera-bytes in real-time. As soon as it is received, it is worked upon, changed to information and used to tweak the car, driver provided with specific guidance and so forth.

If people on the forum could guide me further around this area, expand my horizon further, I shall be able to develop something good.

Thanking you in advance.

Warm Regards

mkoscevic
mkoscevic

Re: Big-Data, Business Intelligence, Tech Innovation in F1

IT in the context of F1. \:D/

There's a lot of open source information out there and many well known IT vendors like IBM, HP, Dell, NetApp, Microsoft provide infrastructure solutions and services to F1 teams. You can start by visiting websites of F1 teams and reviewing the list of their technical partners and you're likely find a well known brands. Knowledge of the IT infrastructure will help you a lot so you can engage in a detailed search of key technologies in the context of F1 (eg. Storage (iSCSI, SAN)).