A few pits questions.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bartez1000
bartez1000

A few pits questions.

From what i know support races during the GP weekend use the same pitlane as F1, but don't use garages. Instead, they have to put their equipment in front of the pits. Their cars have to be outside too. But i have little questions.

1)Was it always like that?
1)What in case of rain? They might have some exspensive equipment, but i didn't saw any tents or sth. like that to cover it.
2)Support Races use F1 team's Pitboxes. But there are more GP2 teams, that F1 teams, so not enough pitboxes. What is done with it?
3)Are F1 teams obliged to allow their pitboxes to be used by other teams?
4)Now, there are enough space for pitlane sharing even in Monaco. but, how was it done when Monaco pitlane was to narrow that F1 cars had to stand outside garages?
5) Where are Monaco pitboxes? After the pitlane redevelopment there is no space for them.
6) Why there are pitboxes anyway? Race engineers can use their computers & radio in garages.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: A few pits questions.

bartez1000 wrote:From what i know support races during the GP weekend use the same pitlane as F1, but don't use garages. Instead, they have to put their equipment in front of the pits. Their cars have to be outside too. But i have little questions.

1)Was it always like that?
2)What in case of rain? They might have some exspensive equipment, but i didn't saw any tents or sth. like that to cover it.
3)Support Races use F1 team's Pitboxes. But there are more GP2 teams, that F1 teams, so not enough pitboxes. What is done with it?
4)Are F1 teams obliged to allow their pitboxes to be used by other teams?
5)Now, there are enough space for pitlane sharing even in Monaco. but, how was it done when Monaco pitlane was to narrow that F1 cars had to stand outside garages?
6) Where are Monaco pitboxes? After the pitlane redevelopment there is no space for them.
7) Why there are pitboxes anyway? Race engineers can use their computers & radio in garages.
1] Yes - F1 has always had priority
2] GP2/GP3/Porsche Supercup/WSR (Monaco only) and other support races have awnings over their cars and equipment. In the case of Monaco they go to a car park 1.5 miles away from the F1 paddock, and newer tracks like Abu Dhabi/Bahrain that have 2 pit lanes the support series us them.
3]The support races use the apron and not the F1 pit boxes, thats where the support races put their pit gear.
4] 4 GP2 teams will share 2 of the F1 prat perches on the pit wall, but as for pit boxes, each has a zone specified by small markings in the pit lane. However teams like Caterham racing and Manor Marussia in GP2 will be in front of the F1 sister team, ART is usually in front of Ferrari and Arden/MW Arden is usually found at the Red Bull garage. Its more informal that way in support races.
5] Old Monaco pit lane there was zero space, this new pit lane there is the bare minimum as the prat perches are above the garages there and that saves space.
6]
7 Pit boxes are used for tyre changes and from 1994 to 2009 refueling as well. Engineers use the radio from their prat perches or from a garage at the start usually.

bartez1000
bartez1000

Re: A few pits questions.

Oops, I am terribly sorry, but i've apparently made a stupid mistake. When i wrote 'pitboxes' i was thinking of prat preches (didn't know this word), and when i wrote 'garages' i was thinking of pitboxes. At least now i know to say it properly.