Favorite Current Driver and Why?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sennafan24
sennafan24

Favorite Current Driver and Why?

Instead of debating who is the "best" driver, thought it would be fun to see who the forum posters consider their favorite. Now, in my case and I am sure other the favorite and best driver selection brings up the same driver, but for fans of say Webber and Massa the two terms will not be one in the same.

The question of "why" I am very interested to observe, as I am sure people will have preferences for a drivers personality, driving style and level of success.

So please do not be shy :D

sennafan24
sennafan24

Re: Favorite Current Driver and Why?

I will start with my favorite, which if you read my posts should be no surprise

Lewis has traits I love to see in a sportsmen. He is expressive, charismatic and thinks with his emotions rather than his head a lot of the time. You could never say he is boring. Lewis is my idea of a driver, a showman as well as a racer bringing in mainstream coverage, his aura just screams superstar.

On the track his personality shows, yes there are times where even his most ardent fan thinks "steady on Lewis" but his style has a lot of romance and skill to it, you can tell his hero was Ayrton Senna. Lewis is also Immensely naturally talented which shows with some of his insane qualifying laps (that sort of speed cannot be achieved by sole hard graft) Some of his pole laps in 2012 made my jaw drop in awe.

The Lewis story is far from over, and the jury is out how he will be remembered, maybe dependent on how Mercedes adapt to new regulations last year. But, for me he will always have a special place, F1 would be much duller without him, regardless if you love him or hate him.

SilverArrow10

Lewis Hamilton

I've respected and even loved Lewis's race craft since the first corner of Australia 2007, where he looked like he was falling back only to fight back to overtake a BMW and the two time World champion around the outside at his very first race. His first season was excellent only to be beaten by one point in a rookie season, then winning a championship against the toughest completion in the Ferraris of Kimi and Massa in such an exciting fashion was brilliant. His fight backs from the back of the grid have always been a joy to watch and he has done some great overtakes during the years, against Jenson in Germany for example. Finally I like him because and I quote, "leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Red bull's day". Love him or hate him, which most people do there's usually no in-between, he has done wonders for the sports popularity and is the main reason why I and so many others love the sport so much.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Shrek
Shrek

the iceman
because of how he is on and off the track
Spencer

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Vettel.

Works hardest on and off the track & wants to be a racing driver, not a celebrity.

timbo
timbo

Don't think I have favorites. There are a bunch of very good drives and each one does something amazing sometimes.

sennafan24
sennafan24

timbo wrote:Don't think I have favorites. There are a bunch of very good drives and each one does something amazing sometimes.
I wish I was that way at times, make watching a lot more relaxing, but then again I would miss the buzz when my favorite wins or gets pole.

Surely you have a preference from one driver over the others though, even if very slight?

timbo
timbo

sennafan24 wrote:Surely you have a preference from one driver over the others though, even if very slight?
I have preference for Ferrari, although since I was watching from the early '90s, I've seen bad years and domination, so that's not like I'm mad when they are not winning, although it's a bit disappointing when they are not in the fight.
I have some empathy towards Massa, who is a nice guy, and I wish he'd have his day before he quits.
Other than that I'm just amazed with almost everybody on track, because I understand how damn hard it is to be driving a car on the limit during the whole weekend and the best guys are almost superhuman to me.

sennafan24
sennafan24

Fair play Timbo 8)

I love Ferrari myself, if I had to have a team I supported it would be them.

xpensive
xpensive

Yes! Finally the ultimate fanboy-thread, Lord knows how I have been waiting for this, thank you sennafan.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

sennafan24
sennafan24

xpensive wrote:Yes! Finally the ultimate fanboy-thread, Lord knows how I have been waiting for this, thank you sennafan.
No problem.

At least this way we know who supports who :D

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

It used to be Button, now I don't have a favourite driver.

Instead I will list some of the qualities I admire in some of the top drivers:

Button - amiable, very friendly, seems like a nice guy, highly intelligent and underrated.
Hamilton - fastest over 1 lap on the grid imo, thoughtful, misunderstood at times, carries lots of pressure
Vettel - great speed, great racer, very friendly, overrated by some, and underrated by others, could break every record
Webber - gritty, honest to a point, down to earth and fast
Rosberg - fast, highly intelligent, overlooked by top teams
Alonso - currently peerless, has taken championship defeats graciously (recently), pulls a team around him and leads

Kimi - I've got to say, I am not much of a fan off :oops:

krisfx
krisfx

Alonso at the moment.

I strongly disliked him when he was with McLaren, maybe because him and Hamilton were always at each other and generally acted like children.

Recently, though it has become obvious to me at least, that he is the most complete driver out there. I really hope that either Ferrari give him a winning car, or he just disappears to another front running team and starts picking up championships again before he drops out of the sport.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Webber.

He's fast (maybe not the fastest).

He's certainly adaptable (as the early 2012 season showed).

He's got the Aussie grit for speaking his mind (reference: Bahrain situation in previous years).

Respect with drivers like Alonso and Hamilton (particularly Alonso).

Funny moments when he's been helpful (Pushing Vettel in the pit-lane, giving Alonso a lift).

Can't say he's been perfect (his actions in Brazil '12 pissed me off in no small terms).

But he's usually been there for the team collecting podiums and points.

Webber. Unluckiest man in F1. I cannot wait for his chance with Porche, at Le Mans, and the WEC.

SectorOne

Hamilton, fastest and most entertaining driver to watch since Senna imo.
Not the best yet though, that title goes undoubtedly to Alonso.

Some of Hamilton´s pole laps looks absolutely insane. AUS 2012 for example, absolutely ON IT.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"