No more Wrooom for Ferrari

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: No more Wrooom for Ferrari

Hail22 wrote:Red Bull is banned in a few countries due to the synthetically engineered amino acid "taurine" as its a known stimulant that can lead to heart palpitations / failure as well as erratic behavior in teens / people with ADD / ADHD so really whats next?
I think the answer is application of common sense. I have probably smoked between 6.000 and 10.000 cigarettes in my life but I stopped completely 22 years ago. So I know both sides of tobacco use or abstinence. I have also lost good friends, mates and family members through lung cancer. It is heart braking and not pretty to see loved ones die that way. So to me it appears I can make a pretty good judgement on the dangers and the experienced use of tobacco.

I can't say I have ever tried Red Bull and I have no desire to do so. On the other side I'm reasonably sure that there will be no death toll similar to tobacco to pay for drinking Red Bull.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

SilverArrow
SilverArrow

Hail22 wrote:Well if that's the case what is next?

Red Bull is banned in a few countries due to the synthetically engineered amino acid "taurine" as its a known stimulant that can lead to heart palpitations / failure as well as erratic behavior in teens / people with ADD / ADHD so really whats next?

If you ban everything sooner or later sports could be faced with a handful of sponsor groups which may include:

Holistic medicine companies, general medicines, government organisations, computer companies, personal health / care products?
Who knows, but one thing's for sure. While they're cutting off sport sponsorship sources, there won't be a shortage of perverted alcohol commercials on TV.

Hail22

WhiteBlue wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Red Bull is banned in a few countries due to the synthetically engineered amino acid "taurine" as its a known stimulant that can lead to heart palpitations / failure as well as erratic behavior in teens / people with ADD / ADHD so really whats next?
I think the answer is application of common sense. I have probably smoked between 6.000 and 10.000 cigarettes in my life but I stopped completely 22 years ago. So I know both sides of tobacco use or abstinence. I have also lost good friends, mates and family members through lung cancer. It is heart braking and not pretty to see loved ones die that way. So to me it appears I can make a pretty good judgement on the dangers and the experienced use of tobacco.

I can't say I have ever tried Red Bull and I have no desire to do so. On the other side I'm reasonably sure that there will be no death toll similar to tobacco to pay for drinking Red Bull.

I agree with you that it should be banned, I have never smoked a cigarette in my life however I've had friends live extremely short lives due to lung cancer, brain tumours etc.

What my point is, I may quite possibly be blind...but I cannot see the Marlboro logo on their shirts / jackets / gilets perhaps someone could pm me with a photo pointing it out? (once again I may have overseen it and not realised its there).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_
stefan_

Hail22 wrote:What my point is, I may quite possibly be blind...but I cannot see the Marlboro logo on their shirts / jackets / gilets perhaps someone could pm me with a photo pointing it out? (once again I may have overseen it and not realised its there).
Apart for the Scuderia Ferrari logo that resembles the Marlboro logo, it is in the design of the lower half of the t-shirts/jackets/polos/overalls.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Hail22

Ah yes I see it...its not the logo per say however an outline of what their cigarette packet design is...would it be far fetched that those bars represent code / simple bar coding to secretly display "Marlboro cigarettes?"
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

WhiteBlue wrote:
ESPImperium wrote: And rumour has it that Ferrari has been referred to the EU over they're branding on their engine cover again. The European Commission wants the prancing horse on the yellow background icon, or force Ferrari to carry one third of their car with a Smoking Kills warning will be enforced, or the EU will stop Ferrari racing....
Can you resent the other teams that are clean of tobacco sponsoring that they try to level the playing field? $100m every year just by carrying sponsorship that has been outlawed in principle long ago is a considerable advantage in this day and age where sponsorship from other sources has dried up considerably. It also does not help that the commercial boss of F1 is indicted of bribery in the EU. So I can understand the other team principals when they try to stop Ferrari's little games there.
Thats pretty much the reason, it wont only affect Ferrari, Ducatti Moto GP team and there is a few other sporting teams as well i think. Its also to force the tobacco firms into placing a percentage sum of money into paying for cancer treatments and such to each country. In other words cripple the tobacco firms, as even though that in the UK they only make 23p average profit on their product, there are countries that tobacco is not levied to the same level.
Hail22 wrote:Well if that's the case what is next?

Red Bull is banned in a few countries due to the synthetically engineered amino acid "taurine" as its a known stimulant that can lead to heart palpitations / failure as well as erratic behavior in teens / people with ADD / ADHD so really whats next?

If you ban everything sooner or later sports could be faced with a handful of sponsor groups which may include:

Holistic medicine companies, general medicines, government organizations, computer companies, personal health / care products?
Red Bull is indeed banned in certain other countries, however until 2011 Red Bull was banned in France, however they worked with the French government and have now got a product in place there that is free of taurine i believe.

When can Tobacco companies work with a government to take away the cancer risk?

However, it is rumor in the retail trade in the UK that in the next 18 months all energy drinks that contain caffeine and man made stimulants will be age restricted to 16 and over. Lucozade will be free of this as its just sugary glucose filled water, and is actually classed as a health drink and not a energy drink by the UK government.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

I'm from California and have turned a handful of friends towards F1 recently. After talking to all of them not one knew Ferrari was sponsored by Marbolo. None of them watched prior to 2010 season. None of them took up smoking yet.