How Would You Change Formula 1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
krisfx
krisfx

Re: How Would You Change Formula 1?

diffuser wrote:Many of these suggestions are just silly. People often loose track that many of these rules are put in place to keeps cars on the tracks and out of the stands.

I like where F1 is going with regards to technical rules. I think they are getting it right, in part because Team engineers have input into those rules.
I don't care for DRS but understand it is needed to offset tire wear and aero effects.

I like the 100kg fuel limit(and the likely hood that the limit will drop in future years), it will drive F1 in the right direction. I think the new aero changes just are....

I'd like to see a aero lock down. They can make as many changes they want until the first race... Maybe before the first race and once more before the start of the 2nd half of the season.

One of my pet peeves and someone mentioned this earlier in the blog (although I think they went too far) is that tracks need to be modified to make passing easier. Tracks like Monaco, Hungary, Singapore are impossible to pass on and everybody knows it. Those tracks (there are others) need to be modified in some way to make passing possible. Racing isn't racing if you can't pass.

To an extent, yes. I fail to see however, how reducing downforce and overall grip is useful for keeping the cars out of the stands, yes the downforce should never get to the 'drivers need G-Suits' point because that'd be a bit daft. The new regs are just getting closer and closer to a spec series "For the show". I watched some 2008 and 2010 races in the last few months and I can honestly say I would go back to those times any day. Real overtaking, not some daft gimmick.

Martin Brundle summed it up best when he said an overtake is like a goal in football. You set it up and patiently wait until you've got your best shot and then go for it. If every football game had 30 goals in people would start getting bored.

diffuser

wesley123 wrote:
diffuser wrote:One of my pet peeves and someone mentioned this earlier in the blog (although I think they went too far) is that tracks need to be modified to make passing easier.
There is more to racing than just overtaking each other. Certainly in a teamsport like formula 1.

hmm... was this sarcasm?
Tracks like Monaco, Hungary, Singapore are impossible to pass on and everybody knows it. Those tracks (there are others) need to be modified in some way to make passing possible.
Those tracks have seen enough overtaking in the past.

not in recent history. Most passing occurs (like Perez on Alonzo at monaco) cause the lead cars go so slow that the 8th place cars can keep up. Typically a spread occurs.

Racing isn't racing if you can't pass.
So a game of soccer which ends up 0-0 isn't soccer anymore?. A game of golf without a hole-in-one isn't golf anymore? etc. etc. etc.

The analogy is wrong, 0 -0 would mean that nobody has Won. Here someone has taken a 1 - 0 lead and the other team is prevented from getting even or going ahead. In the Golf example..whoever takes the lead after after the first hole wins.

And you can easily pass, the drivers just choose not to, and why should they? Why should you overtake someone when you can just wait for DRS and cruise past someone? Seems like a much easier solution to me.
They choose not to pass cause it's too risky, not cause it's easy. Why risk 12 points for 2 more points... People opt to take their points and fight it out at another track.

aleks_ader

scuderiafan wrote:Put metal strips in the legality plank to throw up sparks.
And smoke mashines! :lol: No ofence just joke! :wink:
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

krisfx
krisfx

Töm87
Töm87

Hey guys, i am new to this board, so i want to say hello to everyone first. :? :) :D

So Here's what i would do.

Car:

-Get rid of DRS
-Get rid of Kers
- Allow refuling
- Have at least two tyre manufactures who can make whatever tires they want, no artificial tyre rules
- Make the tyres bigger ( something like in the early 90es)
- Introduction of simple ground effects (Venturi Tunnels)
- Small Front Wing (early 80es style)
- Lower and wider rear wing, but very simple in Design.
-Power vs areodynamic downforce ratio has to lean more towards power again.
- Liberal engine rules which allow ca up to 900hp
- allow development of engines, no homologation.
- wider cars (220cm)
- no electronic driver aids at all
- telemtry data can only be transformed from car to box
- less possibilities to change car settings while driving
- Spec gear box and spec electronic systems
- Have titanium plates at the bottom of the car again, we wanna see those sparks [-o< [-o<

Racing:
- Go back to the traditional 60 minutes Qualifying but with no lap regulations.
- 2x 2 hours of free practice on Friday
- 2 hours of free practice on Sataurday
- 30 minutes of warm up on Sunday
- No Park Ferme rules after qualifying
- Teams can use as many engines a season as they want to
- Adjust race distances (Every race should at least last 90 minutes)

Tracks:
Run off areas have to be run off areas again. So gravel or grass.

Organisation:

In order to reduce costs,

- drastically reduce number of teammembers
- drastically reduce use of wind tunnels
- ban simulators
- salary cap

Testing:

- During the season there are testsessions after race weekends from Monday to Wednesday ( ca 5 times a year)

-Attract more teams again, there should be at least 13 teams on the grid.
-Give out more money to smaller teams

And my dream calendar: 18 races

1.Grand Prix of Australia: Melbourne
2. Pacific Grand Parix: Aida
3. Grand Prix of San Marino: Imola (real Tamburello again, no problem in today's cars)
4. Spanish Grand Prix: Barcelona
5. Grand Prix of Monte Carlo: Monaco
6. Austrian Grand Prix: Spielberg
7. Grand Prix of Luxenburg: Nürburgring. (In my very personal view i don't see why Formula One can't do Nordschleife, but ok i know that will never happen, so Grand Prix track)
8. British Grand Prix: Silverstone
9. Canadian Grand Prix: Montreal
10. Grand Prix of the United States: Elhardt Lake, Road America
11. Grand Prix of California: Long Beach
12. German Grand Prix: Hockenheim (old layout!!! Get it done!!)
13. European Grand Prix: Jerez
14. Grand Prix of Belgium: Spa
15: Italian Grand Prix: Monza
16. Grand Prix of Brazil: Sao Paulp
17: Grand Prix of Japan: Suzuka
18: Oceanian Grand Prix: Adelaide

10x times Europe, 3X times North America, 2 times Japan, 2X times Australia, 1X South America

langwadt
langwadt

Töm87 wrote:Hey guys, i am new to this board, so i want to say hello to everyone first. :? :) :D

snip

telemetry is already one way.
there isn't many driver aids left, what would you remove? flappy paddels, anti stall?
I think F1 should be much more technical it isn't historic racing

I know the driver sometimes abuse the tarmac runoff, but afaiu they are considered safer than
gravel and grass, because you can brake and steer instead of just flying off or worse dig in and flip

why so many seem to want 6o min qualifying back I don't understand, I very much doubt they would
fighting for pole for 60 minutes, more likely it would be 55 minutes of empty track and then a mad
scramble to be the last to cross the line with on hot lap

beelsebob
beelsebob

Töm87 wrote:Hey guys, i am new to this board, so i want to say hello to everyone first. :? :) :D

Car:

-Get rid of DRS
-Get rid of Kers
- Allow refuling
- Have at least two tyre manufactures who can make whatever tires they want, no artificial tyre rules
- Make the tyres bigger ( something like in the early 90es)
- Introduction of simple ground effects (Venturi Tunnels)
- Small Front Wing (early 80es style)
- Lower and wider rear wing, but very simple in Design.
-Power vs areodynamic downforce ratio has to lean more towards power again.
- Liberal engine rules which allow ca up to 900hp
- allow development of engines, no homologation.
- wider cars (220cm)
- no electronic driver aids at all
- telemtry data can only be transformed from car to box
- less possibilities to change car settings while driving
- Spec gear box and spec electronic systems
- Have titanium plates at the bottom of the car again, we wanna see those sparks [-o< [-o<

Racing:
- Go back to the traditional 60 minutes Qualifying but with no lap regulations.
- 2x 2 hours of free practice on Friday
- 2 hours of free practice on Sataurday
- 30 minutes of warm up on Sunday
- No Park Ferme rules after qualifying
- Teams can use as many engines a season as they want to
- Adjust race distances (Every race should at least last 90 minutes)

Tracks:
Run off areas have to be run off areas again. So gravel or grass.
Heh, as I said up this thread - it's amazing how many of these are simply "make it like it was when I first watched it"

beelsebob
beelsebob

For me, this needs to be approached from the position of "what are the current problems with F1", not "what worked 20 years ago when the tech was different".

So, for me, what's wrong:
• Overtaking in a straight line is too easy
• Overtaking in corners is too hard
• The tyres are slightly too dominant as the major differentiator
• Aero is much too dominant as a differentiator.
• The engine tech has been left behind in terms of where cars are going.
• The stewarding of overtaking is inconsistent and actively discourages wheel to wheel racing.

How to fix these:
• Overtaking in a straight line is too easy
- Dump DRS, done.
• Overtaking in corners is too hard
- Reduce the amount aero dominates the cars' performance. Make both front and rear wing significantly smaller, allow shaped floors.
• The tyres are slightly too dominant as the major differentiator
- Ask pirelli to aim for 1-2 stop instead of 2-3 stop.
• Aero is much too dominant as a differentiator
- Effectively covered by overtaking in corners being too hard.
• The engine tech has been left behind in terms of where cars are going
- Allow any balance of petrol and electrical engines.
- Allow any design of either (or both)
- Allow any design of transmission systems at all.
- Set a (reducing) upper limit of mass of fuel carried at the start of the race.
- Set an upper limit of mass of fuel + batteries carried.
• The stewarding of overtaking is inconsistent and actively discourages wheel to wheel racing.
- Make the rule simple – you've got to leave room for the other driver. You can not turn in on them at the apex, you can not push them off at the exit, you can not push them off at the entry. If any part of the car is along side, you've got to leave them room.

Töm87
Töm87

langwadt wrote:

snip

telemetry is already one way.
there isn't many driver aids left, what would you remove? flappy paddels, anti stall?
I think F1 should be much more technical it isn't historic racing

I know the driver sometimes abuse the tarmac runoff, but afaiu they are considered safer than
gravel and grass, because you can brake and steer instead of just flying off or worse dig in and flip

why so many seem to want 6o min qualifying back I don't understand, I very much doubt they would
fighting for pole for 60 minutes, more likely it would be 55 minutes of empty track and then a mad
scramble to be the last to cross the line with on hot lap

I just wanted to make clear that i'm against the reintroduction of too much electronis.

If you leave the track it should be a punishment. It's totally different racing if you know there's tarmac to bail you out.

What i forgot to mention. Bring back real shifting!

And very importan! Increase minimum weight a bit! Tall riders simply have too much of an disadvantage these days. Raising minimum weight by 50 Kilos would help a lot.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Töm87 wrote: I just wanted to make clear that i'm against the reintroduction of too much electronis.
What electronics would you remove?
If you leave the track it should be a punishment. It's totally different racing if you know there's tarmac to bail you out.
Tarmac is used for a number of reasons, not least safety - F1 runs on tracks used by other series too, including motorbikes. Making a run off area that punishes a driver could have much more serious repercussions for a rider, for example. Another reason for tarmac is that it is usually considered better to have drivers pushing hard and being able to carry on racing if they make a small error. Back in the days of extensive gravel traps, a small error would put a driver out of the race. Result: less drivers completing the distance and so less racing on circuit.
What i forgot to mention. Bring back real shifting!
Automated gearboxes are here to stay. They are a huge benefit in terms of protecting the engine and allowing reduced costs to the teams in terms of how many engines they need for a season.
And very importan! Increase minimum weight a bit! Tall riders simply have too much of an disadvantage these days. Raising minimum weight by 50 Kilos would help a lot.
Shorter / smaller drivers will still have the advantage because they would use ballast to run at the new increased minimum weight. And that ballast would be positioned in the bottom of the chassis in the best place to benefit performance. The taller driver will always carry more weight higher in the car to the detriment of performance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Töm87
Töm87

[/quote]
Tarmac is used for a number of reasons, not least safety - F1 runs on tracks used by other series too, including motorbikes. Making a run off area that punishes a driver could have much more serious repercussions for a rider, for example. Another reason for tarmac is that it is usually considered better to have drivers pushing hard and being able to carry on racing if they make a small error. Back in the days of extensive gravel traps, a small error would put a driver out of the race. Result: less drivers completing the distance and so less racing on circuit.
[quote]

Well it's a matter of taste i guess. Personally, i just can't stand the Tarmac run offs. In my opionion it takes way so much of the racing. Staying on the track is one of the most important skills. Sadly on many tracks this is basically gone, as a trip in the run off areas only costs you a couple of split seconds or seconds.
I also think it simply looks horrible to watch. For example, Austin. Would be a really cool track, (for modern standards) but all that Tarmac simply kllis it. I consider this flat out ridiclous. When i see old tracks that used to have gracel and grass with Tarmac run offs these days, honhestly it kills my heart.

I don't buy the safety thing. It's not like there have been too many severe crashs that would have ended differently if there had been Tarmac in the last 20 years. I agree that there might be certain areas where Tarmac really helps to substantially increase safety but certainly we don't need this tarmac overkill.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Töm87 wrote:I don't buy the safety thing. It's not like there have been too many severe crashs that would have ended differently if there had been Tarmac in the last 20 years. I agree that there might be certain areas where Tarmac really helps to substantially increase safety but certainly we don't need this tarmac overkill.
Senna.

I'll just leave that there.

GitanesBlondes

beelsebob wrote:
Töm87 wrote:I don't buy the safety thing. It's not like there have been too many severe crashs that would have ended differently if there had been Tarmac in the last 20 years. I agree that there might be certain areas where Tarmac really helps to substantially increase safety but certainly we don't need this tarmac overkill.
Senna.

Tarmac would have made little difference in that case bob.

The problem there was the wall, nothing more.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

beelsebob
beelsebob

GitanesBlondes wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Senna.

Tarmac would have made little difference in that case bob.

The problem there was the wall, nothing more.
The guy has a problem with large tarmac run offs. I can assure you that the impact with the wall would have been far less of an issue if there had been a large tarmac run off, because 1) the car would actually have slowed thanks to the tarmac, rather than scating over the the top of the gravel 2) there would have been more space to stop in, due to the... well... "large" part.

GitanesBlondes

Only problem is, one still doesn't know what the physics of the debris would have been. The end result may have been quite the same.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet