How Would You Change Formula 1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: How Would You Change Formula 1?

The result would only have been the same if the accident had proceeded exactly as it did back then. If there had been a large tarmac run off instead of a short bit of gravel and a wall then the accident would have been very different indeed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

The guy has a problem with large tarmac run offs. I can assure you that the impact with the wall would have been far less of an issue if there had been a large tarmac run off, because 1) the car would actually have slowed thanks to the tarmac, rather than scating over the the top of the gravel 2) there would have been more space to stop in, due to the... well... "large" part.
There could be no change to add run off tarmac or otherwise and it damn sure would not have made God not poke him in the head with a piece of the suspension.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote: made God not poke him in the head with a piece of the suspension.
"God" didn't, physics did. :roll:

GitanesBlondes

Just_a_fan wrote:The result would only have been the same if the accident had proceeded exactly as it did back then. If there had been a large tarmac run off instead of a short bit of gravel and a wall then the accident would have been very different indeed.
Well, what's to say that the suspension doesn't go lower and through the chest and into the heart?

It cannot be known with any degree of certainty what the altered physics would have been upon impact with the wall, or whether the result would have been life, instead of death. At that particular time, a tire barrier was the most logical addition that should have been made, but no one pushed for it. Again, that may not have made a difference, but within the world of F1 in 1994, a tire barrier should have been put along the wall of Tamburello.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

krisfx
krisfx

beelsebob wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Senna.

I'll just leave that there.
Tarmac would have made little difference in that case bob.

The problem there was the wall, nothing more.
The guy has a problem with large tarmac run offs. I can assure you that the impact with the wall would have been far less of an issue if there had been a large tarmac run off, because 1) the car would actually have slowed thanks to the tarmac, rather than scating over the the top of the gravel 2) there would have been more space to stop in, due to the... well... "large" part.

I thought the run off at tamburello was tarmac, just coloured to look like gravel?

Töm87
Töm87

beelsebob wrote:
Töm87 wrote:I don't buy the safety thing. It's not like there have been too many severe crashs that would have ended differently if there had been Tarmac in the last 20 years. I agree that there might be certain areas where Tarmac really helps to substantially increase safety but certainly we don't need this tarmac overkill.
Senna.

Senna didn't die of the impact!!! He died of a helmet failure. I don't know how much helmets have gotten better over the years. But thinking of Massa, maybe no that much.
And by the way, there was some sort of Tarmac - sand mix run off!!!! Not gravel!!!

FoxHound

Just_a_fan wrote:
Who made physics?
Circular argument.....move on...
JET set

strad

If you leave the track it should be a punishment. It's totally different racing if you know there's tarmac to bail you out.
+100
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

FoxHound wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Who made physics?
Circular argument.....move on...
No one "made physics"...

The universe doesn't need man made gods to justify its existence. :roll:

SectorOne

FoxHound wrote:Who made physics?
Quantum physics, probability.
It will create something out of "nothing".

Religion is plain and simple a mass-brainwashing system put in place to make people think a certain way and disregard logical and rational thinking.

And it´s both sad and frightening that 70% of the population actually believes in it.
Every Christian and Muslim knows what it´s like to be Atheist, not just because they were born as Atheists but because they reject all other religions except their own.
With 100 religions through time, some myths in today´s sense you have less then 1% of yours being the right one.
But religious people refuse to see this because the indoctrination is to disregard rationality and logical thinking.

And this is undoubtedly the most dangerous fact towards mankind.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

zeph
zeph

Friendly request to stay on topic. This is not the place for these kind of discussions.

monsi
monsi

Back on topic - mandate a minimum of two pit stops per race. Seems daft to try to ensure the same with rapidly degrading tyres, why not just put it in the rules ?

notApineapple
notApineapple

monsi wrote:Back on topic - mandate a minimum of two pit stops per race. Seems daft to try to ensure the same with rapidly degrading tyres, why not just put it in the rules ?
Nooo, no more gimmiks!

langwadt
langwadt

Töm87 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Töm87 wrote:I don't buy the safety thing. It's not like there have been too many severe crashs that would have ended differently if there had been Tarmac in the last 20 years. I agree that there might be certain areas where Tarmac really helps to substantially increase safety but certainly we don't need this tarmac overkill.
Senna.

Senna didn't die of the impact!!! He died of a helmet failure. I don't know how much helmets have gotten better over the years. But thinking of Massa, maybe no that much.
And by the way, there was some sort of Tarmac - sand mix run off!!!! Not gravel!!!
yes the runoff looked like concrete but far too short to do much.
don't think the helmet made much of a difference, he had basal skull fracture from the massive deceleration,
a HANS device might have made that part different

I'd say the Massa accident was a testament to how good the helmet have become

langwadt
langwadt

strad wrote:
If you leave the track it should be a punishment. It's totally different racing if you know there's tarmac to bail you out.
+100
then give the driver a drive through for leaving the track, its a punishment but not a race ending one, we won't need endless safetycar periods to remove stuck cars