Onboard camera technology

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flattyre
flattyre

Onboard camera technology

First of all, I'm no expert when it comes to photography - I could be wrong on many counts here!

I've been thinking about this for a while. F1 has moved to HD onboard cameras now, and they seemed light years better than the SD cameras that were used before. But, I ask - would an HD quality analogue camera that was used to modern standards be even better than an HD quality digital camera?

Back in 2007, I remember that the onboard cameras had a drastic reduction in viewing quality. I maybe wrong, but I always assumed that this was when they first started to use digital cameras instead of analogue. Compare these two videos - the first is from 1995, and the second is from 2007:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjXw3dHaqcQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-KXllPDOQ[/youtube]

2007 is more detailed, but 1995 is more 'fluid' and is more like how your eyes actually see things. Of course, the digital camera technology was still quite young then, but it made me wonder - why change it in the first place if the old technology was better? Of course, this is an unfair comparison - so here is an onboard from 2011, when the technology had a chance to mature.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Ai4o9fT7Y[/youtube]

This has some of the 'softness' that makes the 1995 footage look so appealing, but in my eyes it is still quite 'jerky' and doesn't feel as smooth and as fluid as the 1995 footage. Surely I cannot be the only one here who feels this way?

It does make you wonder - what could modern analogue look like?

timbo
timbo

Re: Onboard camera technology

flattyre wrote:2007 is more detailed, but 1995 is more 'fluid' and is more like how your eyes actually see things. Of course, the digital camera technology was still quite young then, but it made me wonder - why change it in the first place if the old technology was better?
Digital usually simplifies things and make them cheaper. It is also usually more robust -- note how the signal would be lost when car is passing under bridges or in tunnel.
This has some of the 'softness' that makes the 1995 footage look so appealing, but in my eyes it is still quite 'jerky' and doesn't feel as smooth and as fluid as the 1995 footage. Surely I cannot be the only one here who feels this way?
Yes, some of the older onboards have very nice picture. But your example may be a little bit special, as it is Japan, and the image was captured with FujiTV help probably. It is also probably was post processed.
It does make you wonder - what could modern analogue look like?
I think it reached its peak honestly. It's not like it was captured on 35mm you know :)

SectorOne

It´s probably to do with bitrate. And i agree with Satchel, i don´t think they have HD cameras on the cars still.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

As I recall, the F1 "HD" images are upscaled from SD cameras.

bevlin761
bevlin761

Yes, it's true some of the older onboards have very nice picture. But your example may be a little bit special, as it is Japan, and the image was captured with FujiTV help probably. It is also probably was post processed.

flynfrog

its pretty sad when the helmet mounted on-board cams in Motocross racing are light years above F1

GitanesBlondes

F1 broadcasts have become increasingly worse over time in terms of the sorts of camera shots they use now.

They are far more interested in providing glamour shots, tracking shots, and anything that otherwise gives off the appearance of sterility.

They should try and put more of an effort into instilling the sense of speed the cars have, as well as the ability to change direction. The old onboard cameras as exhibited in the first video were far more fun to watch than the t-cam onboard they use now.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

the problem of the onboard camera's is that they haven't really got a high resolution, and the lens might not be the best out there. I don't even know what brand makes the camera's to be honest.
But surely that could advance well when they'd put some HD [3D even] recorders in there. I did enjoy alonso's moveable camera, don't understand why that hasn't been implemented years ago. the tirecam is a nice add, too. But a good high res cam would do a lot of good for F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

I'm inclined to believe the quality is quite limited by the small thickness of the t-bar.
Last edited by Cold Fussion on 15 Nov 2013, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

DaveW
DaveW

Manoah2u wrote:I don't even know what brand makes the camera's to be honest.
GigaWave, I guess.

strad

GitanesBlondes wrote:F1 broadcasts have become increasingly worse over time in terms of the sorts of camera shots they use now.

They are far more interested in providing glamour shots, tracking shots, and anything that otherwise gives off the appearance of sterility.

They should try and put more of an effort into instilling the sense of speed the cars have, as well as the ability to change direction. The old onboard cameras as exhibited in the first video were far more fun to watch than the t-cam onboard they use now.
A large part of this is because of the extreme long lenses they use these days.
Back in them olden days they would brag about having 28 cameras or whatever placed around the circuit..They used shorter lenses,,, in part because they could get closer to the track and action back then, and they had not developed the lenses they have today. Now, for safety reasons they are moved further back, and they began using these long lenses that can focus from one end of the straight all the way to turn one for example,,,Cheaper and safer for them for not so good for us. Thoses lenses rob us of a sense of speed.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss