2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mborsik
mborsik

2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

AMuS Article here.

Basically it says that due to retarded rules, especially that the minimal width is not regulated at the front section of the bodywork, we'll see awkwardly ugly noses similar to those of an anteater or to a banana, or in a better case, similar to the infamous williams-bmw nose (although some people actually liked that one). According to the article, AMG Chief Technician Bob Bell has tried to warn Charley Whiting about the possible consequences of the poorly formed rules, to no avail.

In additon, we'll also likely see quite unasthetic chimneys for the exhaust over the back crash structure.

If anyone has the time for a more detailed translation, I guess he'll be thanked by the members.

Opinions, thoughts?

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

SectorOne

I would guess something similar to the aero haydays.

And for the exhaust i would think along the lines of GP2. Or pretty similar to the nozzle of the Red Bull.
Only exhausts go through there now.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

wesley123
wesley123

I think we might see noses as short as possible to make use of the central section of the wing which is aimed slightly nose up to get a little more air under the tub.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

astracrazy
astracrazy

you have a minimum area though so it can only be so small. you could make them (in head on view) not very wide but quiet tall or very wide and thin

the noses could, and i think will be more likely, be made very wide and very thin to increase the area under the nose

(if that makes any sense)

the 2007/2008 noses look to small to me

aral
aral

It is far to early to be talking about what the cars will look like next year, but they certainly will not have low noses. These are banned for safety reasons and there is a minimum height which they must comply with. As regards exhausts, there can be no bodywork around the final exit, but I can envisage that the gasses will be used to create an aerodynamic shape at the rear of the car, by filling in the low pressure area. We just have to wait and see what different designers come up with.

Shrieker

Could they keep the nose short and extend the front wing pylons forwards ? (like the 2004 fw 26 does)

Is it legal ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

FrukostScones

Shrieker wrote:Could they keep the nose short and extend the front wing pylons forwards ? (like the 2004 fw 26 does)

Is it legal ?
AMUS article suggests that some teams are working on this kind of solution...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

astracrazy
astracrazy

i don't see how that would be legal or what the point would be

wesley123
wesley123

that solution could make use of the AoA of the central section of the front wing to draw a little more air under the nose.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f1316
f1316

Shrieker wrote:Could they keep the nose short and extend the front wing pylons forwards ? (like the 2004 fw 26 does)

Is it legal ?
Let's not also forget that Williams changed their car that year to move away from this concept, so it clearly didn't work as they had expected.

WhiteBlue

gilgen wrote:It is far to early to be talking about what the cars will look like next year, but they certainly will not have low noses...
I think you got this ass to face. High noses have been banned for 2014. Noses will have to come down considerably and mainly for safety reasons considering the possibility of t-boning accidents.

I do not agree with the considerations in the AMuS report. Why should these noses look so bad? And the central exhaust is also no concern for me. There are technical reasons for the design specifications and the cars first of all have to be fast and safe.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FrukostScones

I'm sure when the nose of the 2014 Mercedes is already called Bob's (Bell) knob, we can't expect something pretty... :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GitanesBlondes

FrukostScones wrote:I'm sure when the nose of the 2014 Mercedes is already called Bob's (Bell) knob, we can't expect something pretty... :mrgreen:
That's hysterical.

It'll be interesting to see if we have varied approaches to the front nose or not when the cars are unveiled.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

aral
aral

WhiteBlue wrote: I think you got this ass to face. High noses have been banned for 2014. Noses will have to come down considerably and mainly for safety reasons considering the possibility of t-boning accidents.
No. I was responding to the post which indicated a very low shovel nose, and there is no way we would see such a nose now. Yes, they will be lower than this year, but only by a few cms. The very low noses have been ruled out due to the fact that they can flip a car into the air, in event of a coming together.