RB Traction Control yin yang

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: RB Traction Control yin yang

Which would be the logical place for an engineer, at the wheels actually if possible.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

spiritone
spiritone

This was a very interesting discussion, unfortunately, i doubt we will ever really find out what was going on. FIA has been very quiet about this speculation of tc. Whatever red bull and renault has figured out it's full potential has only being revealed recently. I think this is an advantage that RB have had for a few years but was kept under wraps by never winning by too big a margin. Will the technology red bull and renault have found be usefull next year?

As the cars get much more complex next year will the driver become less of a factor? Will the FIA have qualified personal to keep up with the technology? This new formula for 2014 reminds me of when active ride was the rage and the drivers became less and less important. Should be an interesting 2014.

Hail22

Rubens Barrichello / Vettel:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SAL6mkQMw[/youtube]

I wouldn't mind picking the brains of the more senior members of what they think between the two videos side by side?

Personally for me I cannot draw much difference between the two, but I may/may not be wrong.

Cheers in advance.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

strad

PLEASE..Do Not confuse me (strad) with Stradivarius!
Last edited by Richard on 21 Oct 2013, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've corrected quoted names in the previous posts.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Mandrake
Mandrake

Hail22 wrote:Rubens Barrichello / Vettel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SAL6mkQMw

I wouldn't mind picking the brains of the more senior members of what they think between the two videos side by side?

Personally for me I cannot draw much difference between the two, but I may/may not be wrong.

Cheers in advance.
You should visit your local doctor for an ear check then ;) Clearly the difference is that Vettel's car sound a bit like Barrichellos when coasting, but when accelerating the sound is huuuuuuuuuuugely different.

EBD map under coasting at RedBull, TC at Honda. Simple as that.

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

If Red Bull have found a way to produce more downforce under braking by producing more exhaust gas, wouldn't that increase their fuel consumption and force them to start the races with a larger fuel load? This would give them a disadvantage in the first part of the race, while qualifying is where they would really be dominating. Yet, their advantage often seem to be smaller in qualifying. By the way, is there still someone who thinks that Red Bull has a 2 second advantage?
Last edited by Richard on 21 Oct 2013, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Glyn
Glyn

I have always wondered why cars don't qualify with race fuel. :/

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Glyn wrote:I have always wondered why cars don't qualify with race fuel. :/
They used to and it was silly; q3 has been much more exciting ever since that rule was binned.

turbineBill
turbineBill

Since the available traction is dependent upon exaust emission, car-speed, wind-speed, side-ways g-force, wheel-load, etc (and diffuser pressure ?).
It would make sense to feed all these parameters into the throttle demand map.
That way the driver could hold a constant throttle position coming out of a corner, knowing that the system will provide a favourable increasing torque demand.
Not traction control.... but a big helper.
Is this legal ?

tuj
tuj

turbineBill wrote:Since the available traction is dependent upon exaust emission, car-speed, wind-speed, side-ways g-force, wheel-load, etc (and diffuser pressure ?). It would make sense to feed all these parameters into the throttle demand map. Is this legal ?
I don't think so. Ideally TC would measure the wheel speeds at each wheel and compensate timing or throttle position to avoid exceeding ideal slip. Since that is illegal, and there is a spec ECU, I don't think your idea would work because you'd have a closed-loop system which would violate the FIA rules.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

turbineBill wrote:Since the available traction is dependent upon exaust emission, car-speed, wind-speed, side-ways g-force, wheel-load, etc (and diffuser pressure ?).
It would make sense to feed all these parameters into the throttle demand map. .......
Is this legal ?
No, because nothing like this number of such inputs is allowed (only one is)
and it can't be wheel slip