Who has the most points, under today's points system?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
notsofast

Who has the most points, under today's points system?

There are reports in the news today that Alonso now holds the record for the most points. But that's just based on raw numbers, which ignores the fact that first place used to get only 10 points. I know there are forum members here who have mapped points systems between different eras. So, if we were to apply today's points system to all previous races, what would the standings really look like?

For the record, I fully realize that total points do not determine who the best driver is, so let's not start that debate... This is just a fun little exercise to see how many more points Alonso really needs in order to become the undisputed record holder.

As I'm writing this, it occurs to me that the number of races per season also has a huge impact. Maybe what we need to calculate is the average finish position over a driver's career. Points don't matter at all in that case.

LionKing

Re: Who has the most points, under today's points system?

notsofast wrote:There are reports in the news today that Alonso now holds the record for the most points. But that's just based on raw numbers, which ignores the fact that first place used to get only 10 points. I know there are forum members here who have mapped points systems between different eras. So, if we were to apply today's points system to all previous races, what would the standings really look like?

For the record, I fully realize that total points do not determine who the best driver is, so let's not start that debate... This is just a fun little exercise to see how many more points Alonso really needs in order to become the undisputed record holder.

As I'm writing this, it occurs to me that the number of races per season also has a huge impact. Maybe what we need to calculate is the average finish position over a driver's career. Points don't matter at all in that case.
Average finish positions will not cut it because low finish positions will skew the results.
1 win and a say 20th placed classification should not be worse than 2 10th positions.

I think the best would be to just compile the race position information for each driver: wins, 2nds, 3rds etc. Then list the total points under application of few different point scoring schemes. I don't think it will matter much with different schemes. A 2.5x scaled version of 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 is very close to current scheme 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

Joie de vivre

those numbers mean nothing. the only thing that counts are wins and titles!

rjsa

If someone bothers to do the math, please also correct for number of races in each season

notsofast

F1T is now reporting it too, so it must be true! :wink:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/18856

Nuvolari_the_legend

Maybe it is an idea to take from each season a driver competed in only the best ten or nine or whatever instance with the point system which is used at the moment. I don't know if it will work but it is an idea.
"Tazio Nuvolari was the greatest driver of the past, the present and the future."
Ferdinand Porsche

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

notsofast

That's it! As expected, someone else already did the math. Alonso has a long way to go. I don't think he'll be able to catch up with Schumacher unless he starts stringing together some WDCs.

And look at Fangio. An average of 17 points per race. Wow.

hollus

And a sortable table there as well, in the post above.
Rivals, not enemies.

CBeck113

No one will ever be as efficient as Fangio - 4 WDCs in 51 races - that isn't even three seasons anymore!
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

tok-tokkie

Vettel is already #4 on points per race. However that still won't convince those who say it is simply the car he drives.

SectorOne

Great cars is the red thread though, theres nobody that would drive dogs his whole career and top any point lists.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cold Fussion

CBeck113 wrote:No one will ever be as efficient as Fangio - 4 WDCs in 51 races - that isn't even three seasons anymore!
I don't think comparing Fangio with modern drivers is all that worthwhile. Today the sport is far more proffesional, with much greater opportunities for people to race, leading to a much larger talent pool of drivers. What this more than likely means is that the average driver today is of much high relative quality than it was back then. In the 50s Fangio was clearly head and shoulders above the rest, where as today I don't think it is possible to find someone so much better than anyone else.

Undead_Mud

Just did a quick check on Schumacher's stats before the comeback and with (3693/249) he sits at 14.8313253012 points per race which is quite impressive as well. I know some of you will consider this to be cherry-picking. I thought it would be interesting anyway because of the long period of time and the perceived difference between Schumacher of the early 2000s and 2010-2012.