2014 Winter Testing - General

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

2014 Winter Testing - General

Though I would get this started as I can't see a thread for it.

My reason for starting is to ask, do you think teams will run 2013 cars with 2014 engines until the new cars are launched? It seems a bit pointless to do any V8 running.

I envisage we should see something like the hybrid cars in the pre-09 testing. I can't remember what happened when we dropped V10s, did teams just run V8s in winter testing that year?

timbo
timbo

Re: Winter Testing 2013/14

Diesel wrote:I envisage we should see something like the hybrid cars in the pre-09 testing. I can't remember what happened when we dropped V10s, did teams just run V8s in winter testing that year?
The change from V10 to V8 was not as dramatic (and didn't involve aero changes). Teams had hybrid cars running from the middle of the summer IIRC.

skoop
skoop

didn't the teams complain about having to be finished with the car in january, becouse of winter testing?
that makes me think at least some teams will use the new cat for winter testing.

Holm86

A couple of teams will probably run 2013 cars with 2014 engines in the first test. With 2014 aerodynamics on.

But the big teams should have their cars finished to the first test.

stefan_
stefan_

Holm86 wrote:A couple of teams will probably run 2013 cars with 2014 engines in the first test. With 2014 aerodynamics on.
I don't see that happening and it would't make any sense to do that. I think most of the teams are prepared with the new cars because they need as much running with the new chassis as they can get.

Regarding the threads, I think we will have one per each test session, like this year.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

Interesting article from motorsport.com. It mentions that Caterham already have their chassis ready. So maybe all teams will have their 2014 cars ready for the 2014 test.

It also mentions something about Williams gearbox. So they do indeed design their own box next year. Many have thought it would be supplied with the engine from Mercedes.

Nov.24 (GMM) Caterham is the first team in line to pass the FIA's mandatory static crash test with its all-new 2014 chassis.

That is the claim of Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, adding that although many teams are now ready for the test, Caterham was the first in line and will be visited by the FIA officials at its UK headquarters next week.

The chequered flag of the 2013 season has not even been waved, but winter testing - to begin in late January - is already looming large, and teams are busier than ever to prepare for the sweeping rule changes for next season.

Auto Motor und Sport said Williams, for instance, already has 1500 kilometres clocked up on its new 8-speed gearbox on a Toyota test facility in Cologne.

The Grove team's new technical boss Pat Symonds said: "Usually, with big rule changes, the one who delivers reliability over pure performance is the one who wins in the end."

Even Pirelli's tyres are having to change, with Paul Hembery revealing that next year's fronts will weigh 350 grams more, while the rears will be 500 grams heavier.

"We are expecting wheelspin all the way to fifth or sixth gear," said the Briton.

That is one reason why the Italian marque is opting to be conservative with its 2014 designs, after three years of supplying controversially heavily-degrading tyres.

But Hembery warned: "Perhaps we will go to the test in Bahrain with the thought that we have been very conservative, but it turns out that they are in fact aggressive."
Source : http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news/ca ... rash-test/

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Any dates confirmed for winter testing yet?

Neno
Neno

Diesel wrote:Any dates confirmed for winter testing yet?
for god sake, main page, top right corner :|

Test: Jerez 28/01
63 days to go

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Normally the chassis is signed off for sometime in September for most teams, with a 16 week lead time for the first chassis and a 2 week quickening of that time per chassis for every subsequent till it reaches saturation at 8 to 10 weeks per chassis.

However, with the scale of 2014 and the lead time being drastically increased, and the same crash tests being carried out, lots of teams took the week of the summer shut down as the cut off, if not June for some. At present estimates, it is taking 20 weeks for the new chassis, with the time between chassis being reduced by just over two weeks.

The chassis sign off is the key part of the project for 2014 im hearing. Most teams will have their first and second chassis done for the Jerez Test if not about that time for the second.

All teams will shake down at least 3 chassis for Austrailia and leave it at that for the season as the cost of the 2014 chassis has increased by as much as 15% on the V8 ones that cost an average of €650k once all costs are factored in for the bare survival cell with nothing attached/installed into it.

2014 is coming fast!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

that's rediculous, 650k for just a piece of carbon seat, essentially. and they might write them off one or 2 times during the year depending on what happens. in hamiltons' case, that merc cell must have been 1,3 million 'coz he got a fresh one just for the remainder 2 races :s that's 68.000 per race, without engine.

your average F1 car is € 1.372.000,00 EUR > WITHOUT TIRES, ENGINE.

5 engines a year, at least 5 million each, is 25 million eur, still wihout tires.
so it's 26.372.000,00 EUR. already. Tires are 1 million each season.

so in essence, we have € 27.4 MILLION EURO per F1 car having not counted
development costs [new wings and stuff], not having counted crash damage,
and surely lots of more is missed, like fuel. You need 2 of them however,
so 54,8 lets say € 55 MILLION for just 2 cars to run. thats...........INSANE
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Hail22

Manoah2u wrote:that's rediculous, 650k for just a piece of carbon seat, essentially. and they might write them off one or 2 times during the year depending on what happens. in hamiltons' case, that merc cell must have been 1,3 million 'coz he got a fresh one just for the remainder 2 races :s that's 68.000 per race, without engine.

5 engines a year, at least 5 million each, is 25 million eur, still wihout tires.

That's why its been stressed many times to Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA to start seriously thinking of a budget cap in Formula 1 in order to create some form of sustainability.

But this has already been discussed many of times, some agree, some don't but I do hope someday that the Formula will one day adopt a sustainable yet practical budget cap to fall in line with a more "greener" and "practical" car industry we currently have.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Hail22 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:that's rediculous, 650k for just a piece of carbon seat, essentially. and they might write them off one or 2 times during the year depending on what happens. in hamiltons' case, that merc cell must have been 1,3 million 'coz he got a fresh one just for the remainder 2 races :s that's 68.000 per race, without engine.

That's why its been stressed many times to Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA to start seriously thinking of a budget cap in Formula 1 in order to create some form of sustainability.

But this has already been discussed many of times, some agree, some don't but I do hope someday that the Formula will one day adopt a sustainable yet practical budget cap to fall in line with a more "greener" and "practical" car industry we currently have.
A 2012 HRT 112 was rumoured to be €2m without Engine, Gearbox and the KERS that it was designed for and never took on. They had 3 of them, of which one was written off by KAR. A Red Bull RB8 was estimated to be €4.5m to €5m without engine, gearbox and KERS. Gearboxes are €350k, Engines are on average €450k and a KERS system is €125k per battery and €25,000 per MGU. So another €1.05m in essence there.

I am in belief that there should be a budget cap, update bans on the first four and last 7 races and stringent limits placed on the teams. As Mr Saward said today on his blog, F1 should be budet capped and bout how efficient the teams are with their money, and id say resources.

However, i believe more can be done, like banning of Mission Controls, and introduction of a standardised telemetry system and all teams having one part they manufacture for the whole grid, McLaren for the MES ECU, Red Bull for the side impact structures.

I think costs of the top seams could be reduced by 20% easy, as Ferrari spend $402m last year, and the lower teams could save slightly less, but its still a saving for them on budgets of €75m for Marussia to €140m for Force India. The top 5 teams spent in excess of €200m each, Red Bull at a surprising €260m estimate. But that value will be known in January once the Austrian authorities publish the full accounts as per Austrian law. UK law says April, where accounts are also published.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

First test is in about 2 weeks time with Pirelli. We just won't get to know anything about it.

Richard
Richard

gray41

Nico already tweeted about his seat fitting, would that imply the W05 tub is crash tested and ready?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***