Can F1 be held during winter?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Can F1 be held during winter?

Is it physically possible for F1 race to be held during cold winter season? Will it be too cold for the drivers or too slippery for the tyres due to the lack of heat?

Holm86

Re: Can F1 be held during winter?

CHT wrote:Is it physically possible for F1 race to be held during cold winter season? Will it be too cold for the drivers or too slippery for the tyres due to the lack of heat?
F1 moves all around the world. So they could run all year without having to run in cold weather.

But yes they could run at a cold track. If its not freezing I suppose. Its just a matter of them not being able to get the most out of the tires. But again thats just a question of tire design. You could have cold tires then with a much softer compound.

astracrazy
astracrazy

and who wants to watch a race in the freezing cold when they can come back 6 months later and its hot

SectorOne

CHT wrote:Is it physically possible for F1 race to be held during cold winter season? Will it be too cold for the drivers or too slippery for the tyres due to the lack of heat?
You could have issues with black ice and regular ice etc.
If you are going to race during the winter months it´s better to go down to middle east, south africa or south america to race.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

RicerDude

Wouldn't their hands get really cold in a 200mph freezing wind? I can't imagine fireproof gloves insulate that well. I mean my hands get pretty cold just riding my bike in the winter.

astracrazy
astracrazy

1 + would be the engines would scream (or at least the V8s would of)

Sebp

There's always this for winter racing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEoEu8Zz1dc[/youtube]
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Lycoming
Lycoming

With studded tires, anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luBIaBXM4iU

On a marginally more serious note, not all places on earth have what you'd call a winter season, complete with subzero temperatures and snow. 12 hours of sebring runs during winter (at least what google calls winter), for example.
RicerDude wrote:Wouldn't their hands get really cold in a 200mph freezing wind? I can't imagine fireproof gloves insulate that well. I mean my hands get pretty cold just riding my bike in the winter.
Why wouldn't fireproof gloves insulate well? They're designed to protect you from fire, which is a slightly different temperature from what human flesh should ideally be. Besides, the cockpit of an F1 car is usually a pretty toasty place and they be active while driving, which helps circulation to the extremities. It wouldn't be that bad.

@OP:

standard tires will struggle to develop temperature on tracks, even just above freezing. I suspect that they would tend to understeer on entry and oversteer on exit, less because of car balance and more because there's just no grip. of course, studded tires solve all problems, except for that of the angry circuit owner with a repair bill after you tear up his asphalt race track.

Sebp

Lycoming wrote:at least what google calls winter
All depends on how much of a northern hemisphere chauvinist you are, I guess. :D
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

MOWOG

I think an F1 race at Bathurst outside of Sydney Australia in January would be awesome! :idea:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Kai
Kai

MOWOG wrote:I think an F1 race at Bathurst outside of Sydney Australia in January would be awesome! :idea:
I would love this so much.

humble sabot

the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Slife
Slife

They are having F1E during the offseason of F1 so that includes the winter. I imagine it must be fairly cold in Beijing.

andylaurence

On the subject of driver warmth, I had the pleasure of my first two races this year being in the snow and the third at about 2 degrees, albeit sunny. It's the first time I've been cold whilst competing and I had numb hands when I returned to the paddock. Nomex is a superb insulator as it has to be to protect from fire, but that also means it's great to wear to keep warm in winter. It's got limits though! I wore a jacket over my race suit in the paddock, which isn't normally required.

CHT
CHT

andylaurence wrote:On the subject of driver warmth, I had the pleasure of my first two races this year being in the snow and the third at about 2 degrees, albeit sunny. It's the first time I've been cold whilst competing and I had numb hands when I returned to the paddock. Nomex is a superb insulator as it has to be to protect from fire, but that also means it's great to wear to keep warm in winter. It's got limits though! I wore a jacket over my race suit in the paddock, which isn't normally required.
So physically the drivers might not be able to take the cold?