will there be a new team in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gridlock

Re: will there be a new team in F1?

If, as I understand it, the Windshear facilities offer unique capabilities then it's not hard to see this team finding it easy to sign 'technology partnerships' a la FI & McLaren, no? Leverage is great.

Moxie
Moxie

Jersey Tom wrote:
In my opinion / experience, what you describe may have some truth at the fan level, but not at the professional level. As I alluded to earlier, the professional racing community is a small one - even more so among engineers, and there's quite a bit of cross-pollination between race teams and series.
"Ironically, but perhaps predictably, there wasn't much mixing between the sports car and hot rod crowds. According to the Stereotypes of the day, the sporty car set wore tennis shoes and prissy blue driving uniforms, carried picnic baskets filled with wine, cheese, and the latest copy of Road & Track. Race car people, as they called themselves, didn't read at all. They were too busy guzzling beer and sprinkling cigar ashes on their greasy T-shirts and grimy Levi's." - Preston Lerner- Scarab: Race Log of the All-American Specials 1957-1965

This quote was from a chapter about Lance Reventlow assembling his engineering team.

Edit: I thought the quote was funny the first time I read it, and it certainly applies to the conversation brought up in this thread. Unfortunately it happens to contradict a statement made by someone who took exception to my previous humor. I want to make it clear NO OFFENSE IS INTENDED.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I just don't see the relevance of anything from the 50's and 60's. Interesting? I dunno, maybe remotely. But zero bearing on anything today.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

cossie
cossie

Pup wrote:I'm no great fan of Dallara, but I think I'm going to start voting down any post that spells their name "Dullara", if only because it makes the forum look like its populated by six-year-olds.

edit: (I see someone else feels the same. :lol: )
Ok I'm the guilty one that uses that term in the future I will refrain from it, however of all the chassis makers, picking Dallarra is a big mistake, the have cut corners on the past 2 Indy cars, i.e. the new one going to almost a complete remake of the monocock, and the, floor an other areas, why they do not go with Panoz , Swift I really do not understand,

FW17

Assuming that there are abundance of talent among NASCAR country and sufficient manufacturing resources to support an F1 team will it be a lot cheaper to base the Haas Racing Team at Concord, North Carolina than in Oxford, England? The thought stemming from the general labour and production cheaper in the US in comparison to Europe. Sauber probable the most expensive team to run in terms of manpower costs.

Gridlock

It's labour cost and split operations vs being able to use transporters instead of (non-FOM?) air freight for 8 races of the year, plus of course talent pools.

Moxie
Moxie

I hope there is an American F1 team and I would love for that team to be headquartered in the US. But it seems to me there is a logistic side of the equation that needs to be considered.
Forgive me if my geography is a little liberal here.

Europe - Spain, Monaco, Austria, England, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Russia, = 9
Pacific Rim - Australia, Malaysia, China, Singapore, Japan = 5
Americas - Canada, United States, Brazil = 3
Middle East - Bahrain, Abu Dahbi = 2

With nearly half of the races in Europe, it would really make sense to have a base of operations in Europe. I believe that the Peter Windsor/Ken Anderson outfit intended to have a European base somewhere in Spain.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I think it's hard for us to make that assessment one way or the other without knowing the breakdown of R&D cost, fabrication cost, human capital cost, etc vs. travel.

Certainly being in the US isn't doing any favors in the travel department though, I'll grant that!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

FW17

Cost of travel for non european races will not be a problem, but they will need a european base for the races and testing periods. I guess spain or portugal could be the cheapest options but neither of them fit with US or F1 way of life.

If Dallara is a done deal, then i hope the SF14 (which looks an upgraded HRT) will be used as a test mule through the year before being evolved to next years car.

Moxie
Moxie

Two weeks between Spain and Monaco
One week between Germany and Hungary
Two weeks between Belgium and Italy

It is just not reasonable to fly the cars across the Atlantic twice during these periods of time. The teams will need a base to make repairs, and necessary adjustments and updates between races. Even if the design center is located in the U.S. (and I hope it is) the team will still need a satellite facility of some sort. I expect that facility will have some fabrication capacity, especially for carbon fiber. That being said,part of this equation will depend upon what kind of relationship is contracted by the chassis builder. It seems reasonable that if a U.S. team used a Dallara chassis (for example) that they might contract to use the Dallara facility between races.

Edit: And to go on a tangent...There are a lot of things that will depend heavily on the relationship between the builder and the team. It has been noted that the relationship between HRT and Dallara was sour. Will this be a case of the builder delivering the chassis and then leaving the customer to its own devices, or will the builder supply support? How much support? I think I may have mentioned before that I wouldn't mind seeing the U.S. team contract with a firm like Pratt & Miller, so to bring some more F1 expertise stateside. Then perhaps in a few years we might be lucky enough to see an American designed and manufactured F1 car.

Pup
Pup

A question I asked early on, which I still think is relevant...
Pup wrote:...with at least three current teams actively looking for investment/partners/buyers, who other than a manufacturer would want to set up an entirely new team?
I'm having a hard time figuring out why HAAS would want to start from scratch when there are existing teams actively looking for partners. I wonder if Fernandez' public announcement that he'll sell Caterham if they don't do well this year has anything to do with this question.

Also...
Pup wrote:...Bernie wants to cut a team, against FIA wishes. So you can imagine what he'll have to say if the FIA get no responses.
No surprise, Bernie will have his say regardless...

http://www.racer.com/ecclestone-casts-d ... le/330826/

scuderiafan

Moxie wrote:Two weeks between Spain and Monaco
One week between Germany and Hungary
Two weeks between Belgium and Italy

It is just not reasonable to fly the cars across the Atlantic twice during these periods of time. The teams will need a base to make repairs, and necessary adjustments and updates between races. Even if the design center is located in the U.S. (and I hope it is) the team will still need a satellite facility of some sort. I expect that facility will have some fabrication capacity, especially for carbon fiber. That being said,part of this equation will depend upon what kind of relationship is contracted by the chassis builder. It seems reasonable that if a U.S. team used a Dallara chassis (for example) that they might contract to use the Dallara facility between races.

Edit: And to go on a tangent...There are a lot of things that will depend heavily on the relationship between the builder and the team. It has been noted that the relationship between HRT and Dallara was sour. Will this be a case of the builder delivering the chassis and then leaving the customer to its own devices, or will the builder supply support? How much support? I think I may have mentioned before that I wouldn't mind seeing the U.S. team contract with a firm like Pratt & Miller, so to bring some more F1 expertise stateside. Then perhaps in a few years we might be lucky enough to see an American designed and manufactured F1 car.
Haas has facilities in Brussels, which is more than likely where he'd have his team based out of, if the bid was accepted.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

theTTshark
theTTshark

Jersey Tom wrote:Posts which are informative / useful / contribute to the thread tend to get marked positively... posts which are off topic or not useful or a distraction get marked negatively and hidden past some threshold. Simple as that, regardless of whether or not something is "offensive" (it's the internet - who cares?).
MOWOG wrote:Quite frankly, there is a an undercurrent of bitterness between European racing culture and American racing culture that continues to this day. [...] So there's an overview of why NASCAR and Formula One have such a hard time working together.
In my opinion / experience, what you describe may have some truth at the fan level, but not at the professional level. As I alluded to earlier, the professional racing community is a small one - even more so among engineers, and there's quite a bit of cross-pollination between race teams and series.

If an organization has the budget available, the available talent pool is already here - including many already with prior F1 experience, either having come here from Europe (native), or US nationals who spent some years doing European open wheel. So what would hold a US-based organization back from being successful? I'd say the "origins" of the respective sports and what they were in the 60's, 80's, or early 2000's really has little if any bearing on 2014/2015.

I think the most important ingredient to success is good high level organization and professionalism. Everything else downstream falls into place.

Jersey Tom, you are always a breathe of fresh air to read on this forum. I do not think most people understand that Formula 1 (like Formula SAE) is all about project management. Manage your people well, and they'll manage to perform.

blokkie
blokkie

Haas has facilities in Brussels, which is more than likely where he'd have his team based out of, if the bid was accepted.
Ecclestone tips Haas for 2015 F1 entry

While uncertainty hangs on the air, Ecclestone has stated that Haas, the joint owner of the NASCAR title-winning Stewart-Haas Racing squad, is likely to make the cut when an entry is finally granted for a 12th team.

source: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3087 ... -f1-entry/

Daliracing

blokkie wrote:
Ecclestone tips Haas for 2015 F1 entry

While uncertainty hangs on the air, Ecclestone has stated that Haas, the joint owner of the NASCAR title-winning Stewart-Haas Racing squad, is likely to make the cut when an entry is finally granted for a 12th team.

source: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3087 ... -f1-entry/
i read the same thing would be nice to see an American f1 team