F1Technical Racing [F1T]

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gridlock

Re: F1Technical Racing [F1T]

Tesco Mobile Roewe-F1Technical Hyundai

xpensive
xpensive

Tomba wrote:Manchild would be the perfect man to make us some livery. Hope he reads this.

So basically, where do we start in setting up a team? First we need candidates for the key positions. Given that xpensive will basically be TD, who else does he want around him? Any candidates to be chief designer?

Then we need a budget. Can anybody make an estimation of the amount of money we need? How much for which department?
I would also suggest trying to find an existing wind tunnel we could use. Which are the ones that are available for customers to be used? However, with Ferrari back home, Toyota at Cologne may have some spare capacity! And that's a more than decent tunnel.
Budget is not xactly my area of xpertise, other than I'm cheap as an IKEA-mogul or worse, but I would like to see TC, DaveW and JT there. WB would actually come in handy, believe it or not, as FIA interface on technical rules and regulation issues.

I should cherish our closed-door elaborations on those.

marcush is a given as director of race engineering.

Toyota facilities sounds like a plan,though I doubt if Hyundai would approve without an official xcuse for whatever?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

dren

Could talk to Wirth and go 100% CFD...

Budget breakdown of a top team:

car - $15mil
design - $110mil
engine - $130mil
testing - $15mil
drivers - $47mil
entry fee - $3.3mil
hospitality - $13mil
operating - $137mil

Total - roughly $470mil

Budget breakdown of F1T:

car - $15mil
design - ???
engine - $15mil (we will purchase or maybe score freebies from Hyundai)
testing - $15mil
drivers - Free
entry fee - $0.5mil
hospitality - Do we need this? Maybe score a sponsorship from a drink company and they can foot the bill.
operating - I'd say we could scale this down considerably, $30mil

So basically we are in at least $60.5mil. Then development costs need to be covered. We could probably scrape by with under $100mil.
Last edited by dren on 12 Dec 2013, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

xpensive
xpensive

Nick Wirth would not get anywhere near my car, sorry marcush.

All the way CFD is an interesting approach however, do we have a member with know-how in that area?

Composites is not a big bother, as I have good relations with BAE/Saab in that department, autoclave and all.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

There's another approach how to evaluate if a certain aero design is good or bad: the armchair experts method!

Just design different versions of a bodywork and then open a poll on F1T to decide which one's the best. :mrgreen:
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Steven
Owner

Hmm interesting. "Social design" is born ;)
I guess after deciding the basic concepts, we'd still have to optimise the whole thing ;)

Anyway, we should also hire Reca to strengthen our aerodynamics department.

marcush.
marcush.

I´d be interested to run the component testing department ...

timbo
timbo

Surely ringo runs aero department? We can cut the xpenses on windtunnel!

Daliracing

what about the coulours of the car? :D

CBeck113
CBeck113

F1T needs Moichendizing!
http://cli.ps/hRHT

Fixed that bad link...
Last edited by CBeck113 on 14 Dec 2013, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Kiril Varbanov

I'm certainly interested :) Two positions:

- Aero department - deputy. 11 years of aero researches, talks, books, studies. Also, I already know some of the 'rivals' :)
Wind tunnel use? MIRA facility at UK. Full scale aero wind tunnel, large professionals. The fallback option is Cologne, where lots of aero organizations are based, for example German Aerospace Center (DLR).

- IT manager - about 20 years of computing and IT experience. Today having the right machinery and software tools is of extreme importance, though rarely mentioned. Example is Red Bull with their Product Life Cycle Management system from Siemens - an enormous help at the design department where more than 1000 changes are done per week.

- Optional: reserve driver, but only if the two real drivers are dead. I can offer about 90 kg of downforce, lots of kilometers on the road and some car testing experience.

sectionate
sectionate

The only thing I can bring to the table is the ability to reach the top shelf anywhere

Oh, and a mechanical engineering degree, which may or may not help ;)

CBeck113
CBeck113

Oh right - I forgot my CV...

I've been doing failure analysis and customer relations (aka Technical Marketing & Complaint Management) for the past 14 years, so I'd take anything in this area.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

xpensive
xpensive

"Complaint Management", you figure we're going to need that...? :idea:

Steven
Owner

Complaint management will only be needed if you do a decent enough job to build a competitive car :D