Wings in Formula One

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rain

Wings in Formula One

Does anybody know where I can find a definitive history of wings in Formula One?
Looking for some good technical books that go back further than the last ten years. I know that they were first introduced in 1968 and what they're like now but need a bit more info on the earlier years.
Cheers

strad

Re: Wings in Formula One

Fritz von Opel,,,1925..here he tries out rocket propulsion
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

747heavy

interesting photo strad - cheers
the funny thing is IMHO, if you look at the wing profile, it will create lift, or a best being neutral.
I guess it where early days, as far as downforce was concerned.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

strad

Also not F1..just being funny while the gurus trot out their definative facts..I always thought it looked like he figured it to be in kind of a dive profile and thus would creat a downward force
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gridwalker

I have just ripped this from another thread, but there are a lot of pics from the early days of wings in F1 on this site : http://users.telenet.be/aerogi/Racing/Weird/Weird.htm

I found some of the experimental wing assemblies to be quite fascinating :)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

747heavy

strad wrote:Also not F1..just being funny while the gurus trot out their definative facts..I always thought it looked like he figured it to be in kind of a dive profile and thus would creat a downward force
It´s true what you say strad
Nevertheless, the profil in it self is similar to an aeroplane profil.
If they take the same profil and but it upside down it would work better,
if they wanted to create downforce.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Lurk

gridwalker wrote:I have just ripped this from another thread, but there are a lot of pics from the early days of wings in F1 on this site : http://users.telenet.be/aerogi/Racing/Weird/Weird.htm

I found some of the experimental wing assemblies to be quite fascinating :)
http://users.telenet.be/aerogi/Racing/W ... ird_35.htm

first fruits of EBD :o

Formula None

That's interesting, it looks like its using the exhaust acting on a venturi to help pull air through the radiator and enhance the thrust effect at speed (like a P-51 radiator).

I wonder if this principle could be used to help pull air through the radiator of the current cars, keep the engine cooler while its not moving and without the use of a fan.