Solution to the F1 "nose problem"

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Solution to the F1 "nose problem"

rich1701 wrote:The noses ARE a problem.

Things that are aesthetically pleasing are easier to market on posters and billboards. That's what it boils down to. you can argue it doesn't matter, that it's just a functional thing, but the general consensus will be that this years cars are ugly due to poorly conceived regulations. And that simply will not be tolerated by the media, or by the fans.

Ugly is bad for the image of the sport.

who's talking about it being so 'ugly' ?

it may be not 'aestetically pleasing' as f1 cars before the stepped noses were, but really, what's the fuzz about?
they're actually gaining tons of media and stuff to talk about so if any, the new noses actually bring more attention
to the table then the 'generic boring' noses did.

people never get pleased, and for whatever reason there's always been ugliness in F1. apart from the visually more attractive dimensions regarding front and rear wing, the cars pre-2009 were getting insane! all sorts of weird appendages and winglets. it looked weirder and weirder and f1 cars sometimes looked more like a tree with branches then a f1 car.

but somehow, today we're acting like that used to be prettier? BS.
remember the weird winglet on the nose of a orange arrows f1 car? it was instabanned, but it sure was ugly. the BMW walrus nose? it was concidered ugly as can be and hideous.

then we got the 2009 f1 cars and people were crying over how supposedly ugly these things were. people complaining on how ugly the brawn was in the testing.

with the stepped noses however, people started to complain and suddenly 2009-2011 cars were goodlooking. say what? change fast?

now we have these 'dicknoses' and people complain yet again! it's never ok is it?! #-o

there is no nose problem at all. theres a view problem. yes, agreed. the rules are crazy and designers turn noses into something that looks 'weird'. but from all things ive seen , the worst things were the designer interpretations right here!

what car really is ugly untill now? honestly? the Mclaren looks awesome! it looks grim and badass. the Williams looks great too, far from unpleasent as people were expecting. The sauber? from the corners we saw, it's gorgeous! the lotus? well that's a tricky one - it looks weird yes. but that doesn't mean its a bad thing? i don't think so, it's very interesting, and i'd love to see it on track!

The F1 field never had such diverse designs untill now, and it looks far less bad then we expected!

and again, as for the media? don't make me laugh, :mrgreen: twitter, reddit, this forum, the media channels, every form of attention is overloaded and flooded with these anticipated new f1 design. media love it! sponsors love it! we love it! =D>

if the cars looked 'good', interest would be lost in a whim. instead, people talk and talk and talk, and yes, complaining is talk and attention too - and in media and news, that's a good thing.so if anything, we should be happy we get these noses!

and about uglyness?

surely these cars don't win any beauty contest?

let's compare last year's mclaren to this year's

this year's macca looks much better!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

gold333
gold333

Manoah2u:

Sorry but you have absolutely no taste.

All the polls on social media calling these dildo-nose cars hideous can't be wrong with you being right can they.

I'd advise you to read a design book and study up aesthetic vs tasteless design.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

beelsebob
beelsebob

Polls say that because people are well known to hate change. People aren't saying that this year's cars are ugly, they're saying they don't look like what they're familiar with.

Lycoming
Lycoming

gold333 wrote:Sorry but you have absolutely no taste.
Yea, what a pleb, right?

In slightly more seriousness, who of us watches F1 purely because the car looks cool? I have never heard anybody try to explain why they like motor racing using that as their primary argument.

CHT
CHT

Got some question regarding the nose

How easy will it be to copy and change the nose design for this year? Will it have a big impact on the airflow to other part of the car?

Can the nose design varies from race to race, or change during pitstop?

Lycoming
Lycoming

CHT wrote: How easy will it be to copy and change the nose design for this year?
Not very, it needs to be crash tested and homologated.
CHT wrote: Will it have a big impact on the airflow to other part of the car?
Probably.
CHT wrote: Can the nose design varies from race to race, or change during pitstop?
from race to race, it requires homologation. Not during pitstop, you can change parts there but you can only substitute identical parts.

Nick Sieczkowski
Nick Sieczkowski

Manoah2u wrote:
rich1701 wrote:The noses ARE a problem.

Things that are aesthetically pleasing are easier to market on posters and billboards. That's what it boils down to. you can argue it doesn't matter, that it's just a functional thing, but the general consensus will be that this years cars are ugly due to poorly conceived regulations. And that simply will not be tolerated by the media, or by the fans.

Ugly is bad for the image of the sport.

who's talking about it being so 'ugly' ?

it may be not 'aestetically pleasing' as f1 cars before the stepped noses were, but really, what's the fuzz about?
they're actually gaining tons of media and stuff to talk about so if any, the new noses actually bring more attention
to the table then the 'generic boring' noses did.

people never get pleased, and for whatever reason there's always been ugliness in F1. apart from the visually more attractive dimensions regarding front and rear wing, the cars pre-2009 were getting insane! all sorts of weird appendages and winglets. it looked weirder and weirder and f1 cars sometimes looked more like a tree with branches then a f1 car.

but somehow, today we're acting like that used to be prettier? BS.
remember the weird winglet on the nose of a orange arrows f1 car? it was instabanned, but it sure was ugly. the BMW walrus nose? it was concidered ugly as can be and hideous.

then we got the 2009 f1 cars and people were crying over how supposedly ugly these things were. people complaining on how ugly the brawn was in the testing.

with the stepped noses however, people started to complain and suddenly 2009-2011 cars were goodlooking. say what? change fast?

now we have these 'dicknoses' and people complain yet again! it's never ok is it?! #-o

there is no nose problem at all. theres a view problem. yes, agreed. the rules are crazy and designers turn noses into something that looks 'weird'. but from all things ive seen , the worst things were the designer interpretations right here!

what car really is ugly untill now? honestly? the Mclaren looks awesome! it looks grim and badass. the Williams looks great too, far from unpleasent as people were expecting. The sauber? from the corners we saw, it's gorgeous! the lotus? well that's a tricky one - it looks weird yes. but that doesn't mean its a bad thing? i don't think so, it's very interesting, and i'd love to see it on track!

The F1 field never had such diverse designs untill now, and it looks far less bad then we expected!

and again, as for the media? don't make me laugh, :mrgreen: twitter, reddit, this forum, the media channels, every form of attention is overloaded and flooded with these anticipated new f1 design. media love it! sponsors love it! we love it! =D>

if the cars looked 'good', interest would be lost in a whim. instead, people talk and talk and talk, and yes, complaining is talk and attention too - and in media and news, that's a good thing.so if anything, we should be happy we get these noses!

and about uglyness?

http://www.dream-car.ch/Beitraege/Arosa ... 0Kopie.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mcXdgRc6f4w/T ... 00/BMW.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7338 ... bgpra5.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-V1-VoykIHqY/T ... n_1979.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... ntwing.jpg
http://f1-grandprix.com/wp-content/uplo ... mp4-26.jpg
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/134811/1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com ... nglets.jpg
http://www.everyoneweb.fr/WA/DataFilesa ... mage12.jpg
http://www.f1-site.com/wallpapers/2008/ ... iorano.jpg
http://bp1.blogger.com/_p1YWdFkpgEo/SJi ... %2BIDR.jpg

surely these cars don't win any beauty contest?

let's compare last year's mclaren to this year's

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 86x435.jpg

this year's macca looks much better!

It's a lot cooler when you get weird designs for performance gains not because of rule changes. I agree this years McLaren looks awesome, apart from the d**k nose.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

gold333 wrote:Manoah2u:

All the polls on social media calling these dildo-nose cars hideous can't be wrong with you being right can they.

I'd advise you to read a design book and study up aesthetic vs tasteless design.
:lol: yeah, social media is the standard, isn't it? #-o #-o

i don't need your so called advice i think you should get yourself into a book regarding functionality in designs.
matter of fact, here you go:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=4YCThwz ... &q&f=false

besides that, everybody is entitled to their opinion, aswell as what people concider 'beautifull', 'ugly', 'tastefull'
or 'tasteless'. factually, there is no tastelessness in f1 design > it's designed for aerodynamical benefits. there is
no single moment of concideration regarding 'taste' in design. never has never will. the department that handles
the liveries is the only factor that covers that area, no other.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

Manoah2u wrote:

:lol: yeah, social media is the standard, isn't it? #-o #-o

i don't need your so called advice i think you should get yourself into a book regarding functionality in designs.
matter of fact, here you go:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=4YCThwz ... &q&f=false

besides that, everybody is entitled to their opinion, aswell as what people concider 'beautifull', 'ugly', 'tastefull'
or 'tasteless'. factually, there is no tastelessness in f1 design > it's designed for aerodynamical benefits. there is
no single moment of concideration regarding 'taste' in design. never has never will. the department that handles
Aesthetics are a concern in the sport - not on the engineer side of course, but I believe it does damage the sport a bit in terms of marketing.

IMO, the solution is obvious: allow more rear downforce.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

Everyone I know who only watch f1 when it happens to be on TV doesn't even notice the visual difference between cars now and 10 years ago. They all look the same to the casual viewer, which as it happens, is the majority of people who watch f1. I don't think this will change this year. Most people don't care about this stuff.

xDama
xDama

What about your taste? Maybe it's your taste that's completely off ;)

Taste is subjective to each individual. So don't claim 'your' taste is the one that's 'right'. Every designer knows that, so I'd advice YOU to read up on basic design theories and aesthetic principles.
beelsebob wrote:Polls say that because people are well known to hate change. People aren't saying that this year's cars are ugly, they're saying they don't look like what they're familiar with.
+1

Adding to that: social media polls have 0 informative value on topics/questions like that. A big part of all the answers come from people who:

- don't know anything about F1
- follow F1 on a occasional note
- look at a picture for 2 seconds and dismiss it as ugly
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

gold333
gold333

Manoah2u wrote: besides that, everybody is entitled to their opinion, aswell as what people concider 'beautifull', 'ugly', 'tastefull'

I think you mean "consider", "beautiful", "tasteful" and "consideration"?
Using capital letters and punctuation may help get your point across as well btw.

Anyhow, I think I understand that you don't care at all what a car looks like.

I respect that.

My clients pay me depending on the tastefulness or tastelessness of the designs I create, so I'd like to think I have some authority in talking about aesthetics in design.

I am aware that engineers (to give an example) are not people with an artistic background or inclination (or authority).

This thread is cleanly split between people who care about design and find the 2014 F1 cars hideous and those who don't.

One must not forget that design is not as subjective as one might think, and that because one claims to not "care" about design does not imply one can see, recognise and appreciate design and chooses not to see it.

Usually people who claim not to "care" have no authority on aesthetics or beauty whatsoever, but they get so very offended when people call them tasteless. It is not a crime, the same way that I am not ashamed to admit I have no idea what the underlying scientific principles of the Bernoulli principle are (I'm not even sure I spelled that correctly). One with no aesthetic skills should not be offended when another confronts them with that knowledge.

Anyhow, I'll continue to think the (for want of a better word) dildo-nosed F1 cars and the squashed nose Ferrari belong to the ugliest F1 cars ever created, and you are obviously welcome to think that they are the epitome of classical beauty in automotive design.

Everyone is free to think what they want.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

WillerZ

Lycoming wrote:
from race to race, it requires homologation. Not during pitstop, you can change parts there but you can only substitute identical parts.
We have seen, in previous seasons, drivers start a race with the only copy of the new design of front wing. Then they get it wiped out in turn one, pit, and fit the old design.

I think that provided both result in a legal car (crash test passed, not underweight) you would be permitted to change from one nose design to another in a pit stop. If the rules do not allow it can we have chapter and verse to check it out please?

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Aesthetics is not the primary role of the designers function when it comes to a formula 1 car, they will create a form that will give them the best function within the boundaries that they have been given, winning is everything & if having a nose that resembles someone's meat & two veg gives them the best function, then that's what we will see.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally, id have mede the rule that the cross section had to be a minimum of 300mm by 100mm.

And i have always been critical that the noses will be too low, id have had the nose at the same height as the front axle, in other words in the middle of the 11-13 noses and and the 14 noses.

My Rule:

15.4.3 An impact absorbing structure must be fitted in front of the survival cell. This structure need not be an integral part of the survival cell but must be solidly attached to it.
No part of this structure may lie more than 500mm above the reference plane.
It must have a external cross section, in horizontal projection, of more than 30,000mm2 at a point 70mm behind its forward-most point. Furthermore :
a) No part of this cross-section may lie more than 300mm or less than 150mm above the reference plane.
b) The centre of area of this section must be no more than 200mm above the reference plane and no less than 800mm forward of the front wheel centre line.
c) From the B-B line, the cross section of the under nose structure shall remain 75% flat to a point of 600mm forward of the front wheel centre line.
d) The cross section must be at least 100mm by 30mm in respect to rule a)

c) is so that the car is so that the cars are mostly homologated in that area, but in the rule as a whole i have taken the single word out as so to allow teams to do more of the Lotus style interpretation that has a weight penalty attached of about 1.5 to 2 kg.