2014 Testing - Timing Information

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2014 Testing - Timing Information

i agree a little searching on the forum will grant you the data you are searching for. there is a brilliant topic with links to all the fresh data of the testing, lots of information to be taken from there.

all it takes is to save it and make your own datasheet out of it.

google-ing will surely bring more info.

it's not like you weren't right - it's just it was a bit disrespectfull. atleast, that's the way it looked,
i'm sure that wasn't the intention tho :wink:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zoro_f1 wrote:
Furtado das Neves wrote:Formula 1 Official site published this:

This week’s official aggregate test times from Jerez:
1. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, 1m 23.276s, 162 laps
2. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1m 23.700s, 133 laps
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 23.952s, 121 laps
4. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1m 24.165s, 83 laps
5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 24.812s, 78 laps
6. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1m 25.344s, 42 laps
7. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1m 25.495s, 173 laps
8. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 25.588s, 188 laps
9. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1m 26.096s, 17 laps
10. Sergio Perez, Force India, 1m 28.376s, 48 laps
11. Daniel Juncadella, Force India, 1m 29.457s, 81 laps
12. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1m 29.915s, 45 laps
13. Adrian Sutil, Sauber, 1m 30.161s, 103 laps
14. Jules Bianchi, Marussia, 1m 32.222s, 25 laps
15. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, 1m 33.270s, 60 laps
16. Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, 1m 37.975s, 12 laps
17. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1m 38.320s, 11 laps
18. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham, 1m 43.193s, 54 laps
19. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 1m 44.016s, 9 laps
20. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1m 45.374s, 10 laps
21. Robin Frijns, Caterham, No time, 10 laps
22. Max Chilton, Marussia, No time, 5 laps

Total laps run - by team (power unit, where different):
1. Mercedes, 309
2. Ferrari, 251
3. McLaren (Mercedes), 245
4. Williams (Mercedes), 175
5. Sauber (Ferrari), 163
6. Force India (Mercedes), 146
7. Caterham (Renault), 76
8. Toro Rosso (Renault), 54
9. Marussia (Ferrari), 30
10. Red Bull (Renault), 21

Total laps run - by power unit:
1. Mercedes, 875 (4 teams)
2. Ferrari, 444 (3 teams)
3. Renault, 151 (3 teams)

Very interesting to analise and to have in mind when Bahrain tests starts, in my opinion.
please give me a hint what is so interesting to analyse... am i free to ask or!?
it's nice to see the data.

i don't know if it's that interesting, but what can be taken from it is that it looks like williams are in a good position.
why? well they jumped on the right time from renault to mercedes , and they've run a lot of laps, and managed to run in a decent time.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Furtado das Neves

Let's all be constructive!
I want the info's so I can share it with ALL members.
No exception!
Like I said before, the intelligence is not measured by the amount of information but how you can managed it!
Every data is important. For example, only by analysing the lap times of the free practices 1, 2, 3 you can almost predict what's going to happen in the race.
The lenght of the stints, the number of stops, the strategy that is prepared... that´s all part of the big game, and it's very gratefull when you see that your own predictions are correct and match the final results.
And if you're in the right direction, imagine what you can achieve with more and more information!
Of course the teams are not willing to give us all the data they gathered, but we must try to collect the maximum avaiable.
That could give us all some interesting matter to discuss here.
Regards,
Carlos Furtado das Neves
email: carlos.neves@cm-loule.pt

Furtado das Neves

All the Mercedes powered cars are in the top, for now.
It's easy to see that the engine is reliable (at this moment) and the cars are faster then the others (logical) but the next tests are going to give us more to discuss.
Williams is improving, let's see if they can mantain their pace...
I hope that for the Bahrain a complete live timing is already avaiable.
Carlos Furtado das Neves

zoro_f1

all days no body was driving on the limit... the teams made a new cars with new rules and they are discovering their cars and no one knows what lap times are telling. renault teams have problems but when renault fix their problem the situation will be different... and they will fix!

so, reading the lap times is not a big thing because teams are running their cars to see if all systems are working properly. till now, mercedes are looking competitive, but when red bull solve their problems maybe the situation will be different.

so asking teams in this period is very irrelevant because they are in the middle of a big understanding on their cars and they dont have much time to telling the spectators what they are really testing... the tyres, the power units, the ERS, breaking systems, aero... there's a lot of combinations with different options and comparing them all is irrelevant.

everyone is it in own race right now... no one is racing with other teams and because of that there is no points at this time of the year... also there is no race, no time... just all day driving from 9am-5pm... priceless!!!
Furtado das Neves wrote:At least I try...
Not to sit down doing nothing...
Like others...
hope this will satisfy you a little since im not just sitting... it took me just 2 min... :roll:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 52#p482852
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Furtado das Neves

That's good, thanks.
That graphic shows better how much laps the cars made then the numbers, it's more understandable.
Nice colour choice, too.
Carlos Furtado das Neves

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

For many years I have seen people trying to interpret lap times of winter-testing in order to predict who will perform strongest during the following season, and I have tried to do the same thing myself. But my experience is that these predictions based on lap times are no more accurate than predictions made based on previous year's performance and results.

Typically, people see what they expect to see or what they want to see. If Marussia set some good lap times, it was assumed that they were running on low fuel. If Red Bull set some good lap times, the same assumption was not made. If Red Bull was running slower lap times, it was assumed that they were running heavy fuel loads or worn tires. In the end, the predictions were usually very similar to the previous year's results, or to the general expectation in advance. Of course, that also turned out to be very accurate as the performance didn't change much from year to year, but the changes that actually happened, for example Red Bull's improvements from 2010 to 2011 (from competitive to superior) were not noticed during winter testing. Many thought that Ferrari were matching them during testing and most people thought it would still be a fight between Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren in 2011. Many even thought Mercedes would step up, after looking at the test times.

This year things might be different because of the massive rule changes and this could definitely be a disadvantage for the teams running Renault engines if they don't fix their problems immediately. Even if Renault eventually resolves all their issues in time for the first race of the season, the teams will probably suffer if they don't get to do enough testing before the first race. But I don't expect the test times themselves to tell us much about the performance in the races.

Normally, I would say that the last few years have shown that McLaren and Ferrari are normally in the mix at the front. Mercedes appears to be getting there as well, finishing 2nd last year. Lotus were good last year as well, but Red Bull has been the best team by far, if we go by the results. If they do a decent amount of running for the rest of winter-testing, I think I will consider Red Bull favourites to be best this year as well, with Ferrari, Mercedes and McLaren also in the mix at least now and then. Lotus might suffer from the loss of their best driver. Maybe Grosjean can perform at the same level as he did last year, i.e. So let's say the order will be as follows: Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Lotus, Force India, Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Caterham, Marussia

I am not claiming this to be very accurate, but I would be very interested in predictions based on lap times from testing that are more accurate than this. This is by no means meant as critisism towards those who enjoy studying the lap times (provided they will be available), but I think it could be interesting to see how much information we can actually get from the lap times themselves. If someone says that the test times show that Ferrari are faster than Marussia, it doesn't mean that the test times have added any information. Everybody already know that Ferrari are very likely to be a lot better than Marussia no matter what times we see during testing.

rscsr

The best laps are indeed telling almost nothing, but if could consider the development of the laptimes during a stint you can tell something. Last year Lotus (or was it two years ago) showed basically constant laptimes during a stint --> therefore Lotus good with tyres or better with the tyres than teams with laptimes which get slower.

Ferraripilot

rscsr wrote:The best laps are indeed telling almost nothing, but if could consider the development of the laptimes during a stint you can tell something. Last year Lotus (or was it two years ago) showed basically constant laptimes during a stint --> therefore Lotus good with tyres or better with the tyres than teams with laptimes which get slower.

I am told that the true pace of these cars from the above lap times is off byby 3-4 seconds. The actual speed differential to the 2013 season is around 2-2.5 seconds. I'm hearing more and more that these cars are quicker out of the hole of a corner due to significantly more torque, so the 20-30% of downforce that was lost is at least partially made up for with slightly more powerful drivetrains. We can also expect the cars of the moment to be at least half a second quicker by the end of the season as they understand the car further and develop aero and drivertrain maps, but drivetrain maps I believe are especially critical.

The Pirelli madness of previous seasons will not define certain cars this season quite as much, but that may come back as the cars become more reliable and performance is more predictable.

chemi F1
chemi F1

Hello everybody

I have just talk with the Williams´s press chief about the problem of the live timing in test.

Well, he said me that the last upgrade delete the host service of Live Timing and when they upgrade the page times will be operative again. The problem is that they will do it in September, so we can´t see the live test timing of 2014.

Regards

FrukostScones

chemi F1 wrote:Hello everybody

I have just talk with the Williams´s press chief about the problem of the live timing in test.

Well, he said me that the last upgrade delete the host service of Live Timing and when they upgrade the page times will be operative again. The problem is that they will do it in September, so we can´t see the live test timing of 2014.

Regards
what! Damn, but thanks at least you tried, they had a decent chart in 2012 or was it 2013?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

wrong thread
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Blackout

This website used to post the times AND every lap and run each car did. do you know where we can find that ?
http://www.msfree.gr/f1
Edit: Found a similar website (but its LT is not as good as the greek one)
http://f1.f-e-n.net/index.php/url109856

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

In the afternoon of the last day of Bahrain 1, AMuS posted in their trackside live feed all the times from Rosberg's race sim. They introduced small rounding errors, but otherwise very good. Sky also posted times from the 2nd and 3rd stint of that same run. They overlooked some laps, but they did capture lap times to the thousandth.

Today James Allen posted a small graphic based upon the full times of the last day of Bahrain 1.

Has anyone found other sources?

IFK
IFK

This is ridiculous. I've been to winter testing sessions as a journalist and it is not very difficult to get the times ... At least they could pick up the laptimes of the race simulations ! I don't know why no website is doing this effort this year (apart from Rosberg's sim on AMuS)
"I think I'll be as welcome as a toothache on a wet Monday morning." MB