F1 Testing data loggers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zoro_f1

F1 Testing data loggers

what is this?

it doesn't shows up on the other side above the right rear tyre... :wtf:

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Thunder

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

It's the "Brain" for the Measuring Devices. Basically a Mini PC / Harddrive to save all the Data from the Pitot Tubes and Stuff.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

zoro_f1

Thunders wrote:It's the "Brain" for the Measuring Devices. Basically a Mini PC / Harddrive to save all the Data from the Pitot Tubes and Stuff.
is there any other solutions to save the data from the pitlane instead of using a mini-hdd!? :?:
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

turbof1

Probably a 5G network could get that amount of data to the pits, but that technology is still experimental.
#AeroFrodo

boyracer94
boyracer94

It would probably use flash memory, as the vibrations would most likely cause a hard drive head crash

zoro_f1

i thought about 5G and that's why I asked but I don't know how much secure will be the line between the car and pitwall... :roll:

maybe other teams could also get that data... :?:

djos

turbof1 wrote:Probably a 5G network could get that amount of data to the pits, but that technology is still experimental.
"5g" is a con and also it's not a standard that is being looked at by the IEEE!

It's millimeter wavelength microwave which doesn't work thru anything more than a couple of sheets of paper and degrades severely during rain.

To sum up it useless for F1 data logging and mobile phones.
"In downforce we trust"

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

zoro_f1 wrote:
Thunders wrote:It's the "Brain" for the Measuring Devices. Basically a Mini PC / Harddrive to save all the Data from the Pitot Tubes and Stuff.
is there any other solutions to save the data from the pitlane instead of using a mini-hdd!? :?:
I'm guessing the bulge is more for local processing rather than storage, but I could be wrong. after all, they transmit telemetry back to the pit lane all the time.

Pilatus

boyracer94 wrote:It would probably use flash memory, as the vibrations would most likely cause a hard drive head crash

Well, if there really is HDD, it's SSD.
No heads, no problems.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pilatus wrote:
boyracer94 wrote:It would probably use flash memory, as the vibrations would most likely cause a hard drive head crash

No heads, no problems.
So... exactly what he said then ;P

wesley123
wesley123

Pilatus wrote:

No heads, no problems.
Unless it has a sandforce controller :P
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

djos wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Probably a 5G network could get that amount of data to the pits, but that technology is still experimental.
"5g" is a con and also it's not a standard that is being looked at by the IEEE!

It's millimeter wavelength microwave which doesn't work thru anything more than a couple of sheets of paper and degrades severely during rain.

To sum up it useless for F1 data logging and mobile phones.
Like I said it's still experimental. When I'm talking about 5G, I'm obviously referring to the only place on earth where they claim to be trying it: south korea.
#AeroFrodo

djos

turbof1 wrote: Like I said it's still experimental. When I'm talking about 5G, I'm obviously referring to the only place on earth where they claim to be trying it: south korea.
28GHz is wildy impractical for anything even slightly mobile - this article is worth a read. 8)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nigamarora/ ... stly-hype/
"In downforce we trust"

Lycoming
Lycoming

zoro_f1 wrote:maybe other teams could also get that data... :?:
The data alone doesn't do you a whole lot of good. You don't know the experimental setup, and for all you know, it's just a calibration run and it's all junk anyways. Trying to intercept other people's telemetry in this situation is not a good use of time; focus on your own test program.
zoro_f1 wrote: is there any other solutions to save the data from the pitlane instead of using a mini-hdd!? :?:
Probably, but it's not worth the bother. Telemetry is there because it lets you know if something is wrong with the car and it lets you dial in strategy. For the data that you're collecting from the pitots and such... you don't really need to have it beamed back to the pits immediately. The raw data by itself probably isn't all that useful anyways. It won't be used until after the session anyways, so there's not much point in sending it back to the pits, as opposed to logging it to a disk on the car and then pulling the data afterwards.

zoro_f1

@Lycoming thanks for the answer... +1 :wink: