Will Russian GP Happen?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vovo
Vovo

Re: Will Russian GP Happen?

I am from Ukraine. I am a civil engineer and I love Formula 1.Russians occupied my country since the 17th century. For twenty years we are independent! I hate war, but I will defend the country to the last drop of blood. If will be a war it may take until October. I hope I'll see season 2014 :)

MOWOG

I am just old enough to remember what happened in Hungary in the 50's. Scary times. But the idea that the Crimean peninsular will be separated from the rest of Ukraine and come under Russian dominance is the most likely scenario.

Sorry, Vovo. :cry:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Moxie
Moxie

NO!!!
Firms that invest in/with Russia get screwed. The governments entanglement with business and organized crime make any investment there a very risky endeavor. At one point during the BP-TNC debacle, the Russian government put the head of the BP division under house arrest. If nothing else, Bernie is very a very shrewd businessman, and I doubt he will put himself into such a precarious position.

iotar__

Invading other countries didn't stop American F1 races, how would this (possibility) be any different?
[Except for what actually had happened/can happen, scale of conflict, number of casualties including civilians, consequences, geography, political background and systems involved: half/democracy/no-democracy/whatever]

F1 was also very fine with Bahrain, there was sort of revolution right there at the time of the race but they didn't get to the stage of showing golden toilets of fallen rulers, standard procedure and media's favourite. [Rulers who funnily enough rose to power following previous "revolution", weird].

It wasn't one of those cool, widely accepted and televised revolutions. This time it was complicated: local dictators are those fine dictators - like Khadafi used to be, good for business and as they say: so important for stability in the region, perhaps even for their country. No edgy tweets at the time either :-( . Everyone pretended nothing was happening, except for Force India - for (minimal) spoiling of the mood they were penalized by not being shown on TV.

So now it all boils down to political/personal weighing, it's not like any ethic standards are present. I'd start with boycotting Brooklyn Nets, all products manufactured in China, McLaren and petrol, no need to include everything at the same time - like F1.

Powershift

So let me understand this properly... Sochi(where the race is to be held) is in the Caucus Mountain region, which has been fighting against Russian Occupation for the last couple hundred years(no different than Ukraine), but all of a sudden its a big deal when they somewhat peacefully take over the Ukraine after utterly destroying Dagestan and Chechnya?

And to top it off the country that is jumping up and crying foul the loudest(USA) has recently invaded Afghanistan & Iraq(WITH THE HELP OF THE UKRAINE MILITARY), not to mention supporting a military coup in Egypt after it finally had its first democratic elections in over 30 years.

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 04 Mar 2014, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed insanity
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Vovo
Vovo

Powershift wrote: somewhat peacefully take over the Ukraine
It sounds like Russian propaganda to avoid isolation and to keep Russian GP.

It is interesting how much effective this petition can be? (We ask the FIA to exclude from the calendar Sochi Gran Prix)
http://www.avaaz.org/ru/petition/FIA_We ... vmbhb&pv=0

MOWOG

When I had the pleasure of helping to make the world safe for democracy by protecting Vietnam from the evil Russian and Chinese imperialists, I actually took the time to get acquainted with some Vietnamese people and learn a bit about the history of their country. I found a very popular expression among all the people of that region was the following:

"When the elephants fight, the grass gets trampled."

Here is a video showing the grass getting trampled throughout Europe over the past several hundred years. Pay particular attention to the Crimean peninsular.

While I cannot concur with Powershift's characterization of American intentions over the past 20 years - after all, it is well known that America is a peace loving nation - it does appear that the elephants are once again gathering for a fight and that the grass will once again get trampled.

Being of Irish descent, I know a thing or two about being trampled by a global power. Perhaps now is a good time to call to mind the words of a well known Irish ballad:

"Come all you young rebels and list while I sing.
For the love of one's country is a terrible thing.
It banishes fear with the speed of a flame.
And it makes us all part of the Patriot Game."

Perhaps there is some part of the US that could be ceded to Russia in exchange for leaving Crimea alone? I'm thinking Texas would be a good start. :wink:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Powershift

I'm hoping you forgot the green font there MOWOG, America? peace loving?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o ... operations
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Pup
Pup

Powershift, will you tell us where you live so that we can all come live in your unimpeachable utopia?

Personally, I think the original question is valid - but I can't imagine this thread going anywhere but downhill.
Last edited by Pup on 04 Mar 2014, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MOWOG wrote: Being of Irish descent, I know a thing or two about being trampled by a global power. Perhaps now is a good time to call to mind the words of a well known Irish ballad:
Pfft! Being descended from someone doesn't mean you know anything about the reality of their existence. Just because you have a Mick ancestor doesn't make you Irish. Sadly it did seem to be a good enough reason for lots of Yanks to give money to the IRA during "the troubles". Seems it's ok to fund terrorism when it's on someone else's front lawn but when it comes knocking at your own door suddenly the "war on terror" must be fought at every turn. I was in Boston a couple of weeks after 11/9 and it was rather interesting to see the US trying to get to grips with terrorism. I'd grown up with the reality of looking under Dad's car for bombs you see - thanks to the US-funded IRA. What goes around, comes around.

Since 1945, the US has tried to replicate the historic empires it so often decries. Many conflicts since then, including the one you mentioned in Asia, are the result of its attempts to make the world follow the American path.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Powershift

Pup wrote:Powershift, will you tell us where you live so that we can all come live in your unimpeachable utopia?

Personally, I think the original question is valid - but I can't imagine this thread going anywhere but downhill.
Moon base Bravo, and we have you in our crosshairs

the EDGE
the EDGE

I wonder if Bernie has the balls to ask Putin for the race fee if it is cancelled, but on a serious note I doubt it could go ahead because not many people would be able/want to travel there in such circumstances and I doubt many locals could afford the tickets,

Steven
Owner

As ever, political subjects have always gone down the drain, years ago creating a big fuss around here, so I would guess it's best to close it before we all end up throwing crap at each other

All votes have been deleted as well, as political views have no meaning about the value of a post to this forum.