Projection hanging down from RB10's nose?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
KurtTank
KurtTank

Projection hanging down from RB10's nose?

What is the intention of the device that hangs down from the tip of the nose on Red Bull's new car? It seems to have a carbon fiber covering, and it almost looks like a radar unit or something.
Anyone know its purpose?

rjsa
rjsa

Re: Projection hanging down from RB10's nose?

Where have you been dude? Just woke up from cryogenic hibernation?

Seriously now, rules define a certain minimal cross section for the nose at a certain position, but theams like their noses highier to channel airflow towards the diffuser. So there are all kind of wierd noses that just meet said cross section while meeting the team's aerodynamic criteria.

The tow pices apearence of it must be to replace the lirrle vent they always had at the nose tip.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

rjsa wrote:Where have you been dude? Just woke up from cryogenic hibernation?
Actually kind of funny / relevant given the user name...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

SectorOne

KurtTank wrote:What is the intention of the device that hangs down from the tip of the nose on Red Bull's new car? It seems to have a carbon fiber covering, and it almost looks like a radar unit or something.
Anyone know its purpose?
Driver cooling i think. Although it might have some secondary benefit with the airflow in that area.
It certainly looks a bit odd with the way the hole is shaped.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

KurtTank
KurtTank

Thanks SectorOne, although I can't make any sense out of the first guy's post and the second one is taking some sort of jab at me as well. They think I'm talking about the new 'ant eater' noses or something. No. I'm talking about the DEVICE embedded in the bottom of the tip of the nosecone on the Reb Bull RB10. It is something very deliberately placed in the airflow. It would have to have a very special function to be placed there and I don't have a clue what it is. I don't have a lot of time to research this and I was hoping some of you guys could tell me what it is.

Steven
Owner

Kurt, it would probably help if you could just point out exactly what you mean.
Have a look in our gallery and see if you can point out the item more specifically
http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/tags/redbull_rb10

KurtTank
KurtTank

Thank you Steven for the links,
I found a clear pic of it in the gallery you directed me to. Here it is... http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/2014 ... mr1431ja99
What I was talking about is the black section that hangs down from the tip of the yellow nose. In particular the lozenge shaped insert that is round on the bottom and flat on the top. In the pic it looks like unpainted carbon fiber or maybe even looks like some sort of a lens with led bulbs behind it. I don't have a clue what it is. That's why I posted here.
Thanks for your help.
-john

SectorOne

KurtTank wrote:Thanks SectorOne, although I can't make any sense out of the first guy's post and the second one is taking some sort of jab at me as well. They think I'm talking about the new 'ant eater' noses or something. No. I'm talking about the DEVICE embedded in the bottom of the tip of the nosecone on the Reb Bull RB10. It is something very deliberately placed in the airflow. It would have to have a very special function to be placed there and I don't have a clue what it is. I don't have a lot of time to research this and I was hoping some of you guys could tell me what it is.
This is what you are asking about? The different carbon layup at the very tip of the nose?

I don´t think anyone really knows it´s total function but i´d say driver cooling.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Rikhart
Rikhart

It would help if you would even skim the car thread, before opening a useless new thread. Thats red bull´s way of coping with the new nose area regulations, nothing else.

idfx

Red Bull RB10 - nose design
link -> formula1.com: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1142.html
It is ?
----------

KurtTank
KurtTank

Thank you idfx for the link that explains it! Lets disregard Rikhart's mean spirited post.

idfx

KurtTank wrote:Thank you idfx for the link that explains it! Lets disregard Rikhart's mean spirited post.
no problem.
This is another article on the subject.
Red Bull RB10 - 'S-duct' packaging
Link formula1.com: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1149.html
Analysis – Red Bull RB10 Front Aero
Site scarbsf1: http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2014/02/01/an ... ront-aero/
Site SomersF1: http://somersf1.blogspot.com.
Here in the forum has various members with great sites and blogs.
----------

KurtTank
KurtTank

Crystal clear now. Thanks.

coaster

No, you all have it wrong, it is a smelling device designed to detect BS, something F1 has become so fond of lately!