Are RedBull always first in line to Renault updates?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Are RedBull always first in line to Renault updates?

I could not help but notice the night and day difference between the speed and reliability of the RB10 as against the other Renault powered cars. Here are I was expecting the RB10 to swamp around the back (or in the pits) with the rest of the Renault engined cars... and during practice, to my surprise.. they were right up there mixing it at the top of the times. Maybe my memory is really short, for I certainly have forgotten not just the engineering capability but the political influence of the RedBull team.

Maybe I'm late but something tells me that for 2014 RedBull have a preferential agreement with Renault in which Redbull get's all the updates first while the rest of the Renault engined teams have to wait in line. I know it may not be as unfair as it appears, as Redbull is the flag bearer for Renault engines, but If I were the other teams I would not be sitting so well with it.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Vasconia

Re: Are RedBull always first in line to Renault updates?

Short answer: YES.

Slightly longer answer: Renault has stated more than once that RB is the main customer for them so its not a surprise if they receive the updates before anyone else. The collaboration between both is very intense and it seems that some people of RB has helped Renault to solve some problems with the software of the power unit.

basti313
basti313

Short answer: Stupid question.

The FIA has forbidden team specific engine mappings for this season, which contains team specific "updates". All Renault engines run in the same spec by the rules.

And no other team had Renault related problems. They had defective wires, defective fuel connections and defective/bad working "brake-by-wire" systems, which are not supplied by Renault.
Don`t russel the hamster!

idfx

The "correct term": "exclusive contract"
The Renault can provide the same engine, but, some information or updates may be privileged to a given team.
if any team from the same supplier, find any solution to improve performance, this information may be first applied to team with an exclusive contract.
Everything depends on the contract.
----------

basti313
basti313

idfx wrote:The "correct term": "exclusive contract"
The Renault can provide the same engine, but, some information or updates may be privileged to a given team.
if any team from the same supplier, find any solution to improve performance, this information may be first applied to team with an exclusive contract.
This is not allowed by the rules. No matter which contract they have.

idfx

basti313 wrote:
Yes, I agree with his statement. In practice ...
It can happen and it is unethical.
----------

basti313
basti313

idfx wrote:
basti313 wrote:
No, it can not happen because FIA is monitoring all changes in the mappings. If they change the mapping, they have to change it on all cars.
Did you not hear the rumors right after last season, that RB is not allowed to run specific mappings anymore, like they did in the last years?

lebesset
lebesset

it's not really the point
the reality is that any updates are always designed for the particular characteristics of the red bull tean , just as they were for renault before the team was sold ...everyone will get that

there is nothing new in this.... bridgestone tyres were biased to ferrari , michelin to renault and so on and so forth , no coincidence therefore that schu won all those championships and alonso his in 2005/6 ...it just gives an edge
it was ever thus
]
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

basti313
basti313

lebesset wrote:it's not really the point
the reality is that any updates are always designed for the particular characteristics of the red bull tean , just as they were for renault before the team was sold ...everyone will get that
So, which problem today was caused by this?

CHT
CHT

RBR budget and resources are also night and day compare to other renault powered team.

lebesset
lebesset

basti313 wrote:
lebesset wrote:it's not really the point
So, which problem today was caused by this?
sorry , don't understand the question
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Pup
Pup

There is rumor-mongering elsewhere on the webs saying that Red Bull and Renault are in a big tiff over who owns the rights to the new software that Red Bull helped them write. RB is telling Renault that they can't use it for any other team. Renault disagrees, naturally, but for the moment the other teams are running the older software, which of course hasn't been updated since I think the second test.

Meaning, don't expect much running from the other Renault teams this weekend.

Red Bull - "We're all in this together, but separately."

idfx

Edit
I used quotation marks "", not to say something obvious. Could be interpreted as an accusation or speculation.

The renault developed the project with the specifications of a team leader. As some problems appeared, it was obvious.
The engine is the same for all customers. But what makes the car be victorious is the entire set.
Details of the project can not be shared, and all the other teams that have the same engine has to figure out certain details by own initiative.
The fact is that the engine is geared projetuais need of Redbull. As the ferrari engine, the need is focused ferrari team .
The situation is complicated.
----------

idfx

If the team redbull, require a mapping to improve its performance, and this change detrimental to other customers...request will be accepted. The focus is Redbull. it's complicated
Last edited by idfx on 14 Mar 2014, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
----------

Vasconia

idfx wrote:
basti313 wrote:
But it happens, and Renaul has clearly said that RB is their "preferred customer" (sorry I am not sure if the term is correct), so...
:roll: