The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

mnmracer
mnmracer

The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Personally, I really miss the screaming hell beasts of yesteryear. With the V10s (and still the V8s), it created this all-encompassing bubble of sound. When it approaches your seat, it sounds like an angry hell-beast that's coming closer and closer, while you can't even see it yet. When it passes, you are in this bubble of sound in which nothing else exists but the raw power of this Formula One engine. When I read that people are now able to talk to each other, it means that Formula One has lost its all-encompassing 'nothing exists but this car' power and that's a real shame.

I do like that you can now hear more parts working, like the brakes and the tire screeches. It feels more mechanical.

Of course Formula One is still (one of the) pinnacles of motorsport in the sound department, but it is definitely not on another level anymore. It has turned from this otherworldly hell beast into a grizzly bear, or from Dragonball Z into MMA fighters: still something formidable, but just not the same.

What do you guys think?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: The new engine sounds

with time I will probably come to like them, but it was a bit quiet in the onboard shots. I thought they were going to be a bit louder. I personally have not heard any of the other sounds but that could be a plus.

On the fence in other words

SectorOne

I thought the V8´s sounded like crap to be honest.

V10 or V12 was a symphony, V8 was just horrendous imo.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FrukostScones

SectorOne wrote:I thought the V8´s sounded like crap to be honest.

really? did you hear it live? the horrendous V8's I meant.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

rjsa
rjsa

wet farts

mnmracer
mnmracer

I agree with the symphony -the reason I'm visiting Boss GP at Zandvoort this year!- but I've grown to appreciate the V8s. This is just a whole other level though.

SectorOne

FrukostScones wrote:

Yea, but after you stand a couple of meters away from Alonso´s V10 car on full pelt everything just fades a bit.

V10 and V12 was music. V8 is a sowing machine imo.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

idfx

The sound is "similar" to the f-truck.
----------

beelsebob
beelsebob

FrukostScones wrote:

Yes, honestly, the V8s were boring to listen to live. The V10s and 12s were great. I love the V6s too, even though the sound is substantially different.

idfx

Auto Union V16 C Type = heavy metal
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXgqZr8-5k[/youtube]
----------

CriXus
CriXus

I won't miss the screaming sound of the V8, but I am really disappointed. I knew it will be very different, but i expected to be something like this - . I am sure there is a decent explanation, why the sound is so quiet and the roar is missing, maybe because of the ERS, i don't know... It is a real shame!!! :(
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

agip

+1
CriXus wrote:[...] i expected to be something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmKJ5MhDh8 . I am sure there is a decent explanation, why the sound is so quiet and the roar is missing, maybe because of the ERS, i don't know... It is a real shame!!! :(
No, its not because of the ERS. Those V6T from the 80s were bi-turbo -one in each cylinder bank. That's why they sound even deeper.

Sorry about my english.

idfx

honestly the sound of the v6 is good. Each engine has its own personality.
----------

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

idfx wrote:honestly the sound of the v6 is good. Each engine has its own personality.
I think so too, I don't there would be any complaints if it was louder

SectorOne

Ferrari sounds really good with the camera staying at the last corner while following the car down the straight.
It´s got a bit of a scream i have yet to hear from the other cars.

About 1% of when they ran the V12 while nobody else did.