The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

thedutchguy

Re: The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

CriXus wrote:What would be the possible HP of these engine if we have fuel per race equals to 150kg, no fuel flow rate limitation and engine hitting 15k? Are these parameters possible and if they are, will the engines' volume be higher? Sorry if the question is stupid, but i am not into the engineering stuff. :D
No fuel rate limitation would mean almost limitless power if the boost pressure can be increased as well.
In the 80's, 1,5 liter turbo engines were capable of 1500 bph in qualifying at less than 10.000 rpm, so with today's technology that could even be much higher.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

For the poor darlings that don't like putting earplugs in why not wear external ear muffs/protectors? I'm guessing none of you have worked in a factory then!

Aesto
Aesto

mistrx wrote:Well it might be just your fault you can't appreciate sound of proper F1 engine - which is music to me (oh that 3.5L Honda V10 that Senna drove gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it) - your brain just might be not capable of that. Here is an explanation: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/6/547762 ... ying-music
It also explains why there is so much sh*t "music" spilled out of radiostations. People like you just can't tell the difference between "circumstantial sounds" and thus don't care to what sh*t they are listening to. Good to know from scientists that basically this type of people - apparently present at this forum in not small numbers - is deprived of greatness of good sound/music. Now I don't feel that sad for those people (which I truly was) but I am even more happy I am capable of enjoing it! I couldn't live without what you call "circumstantial sound".
Brilliant theory! Of course this means that all people who can't enjoy the sound of an F1 car also can't enjoy music. Makes perfect sense! You know, you should really smuggle a ghettoblaster into an opera, play some smooth BMW V10 sound as loud as possible, and wait for a reaction. I'm sure you'll get nothing but standing ovations from all the other people who aren't "musically challenged".

Your post almost exhibits the same level of genius as that of the Nigerian "physicist" who used magnets to "prove" that homosexuality is wrong. All you have to do is to take a theory which has received the "scientist stamp of approval" (especially since no scientist could ever be wrong, right?), apply it to a completely unrelated topic, and presto, perfect new theory! Truly astonishing work, you are an inspiration to us all!

Andres125sx

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I´m surprised on a forum like F1T I don´t read more comments about the noise level of the v8´s, more than 120dB... we´re not talking about some sound that some may find harmful and some not. V8 sound was objetively harmful not only for the people working into the box but also for the spectators, and not only if you get exposed for a long period, just some second of a noise level beyond 120dB will harm the hearing of an adult.... Do we talk about kids? But we defend that level of noise/sound....
I was reading your politically correct babble, I mean argument, and was expecting it to arrive at this point. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use earplugs. Teams and spectators did it and this way it stops being harmful. They all did that, so all that "OMG, health first" thing goes down the drain. This kind of argument is like people who say petrol and chemicals are bad because if you eat them or rub them in your skin you may die/be harmed. WHO THE F*CK WILL DO THAT?
Yeah, watching a race without earplugs is comparable to eating petrol.... but the hypocrite is me.... :wtf:

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote: Don't even get me started on people who chose to live near circuits and complain about noise. They are usually in the middle of nowhere and people know there is going to be noise there. Those rare circuits inside actual cities mostly have big walls for that reason
I wonder how many racing tracks have you seen.....

All of them have big walls, but that has never blocked the sound. And when you buy a house near a track, you can accept some level of noise, but when F1 arrives and that noise level is multiplied by a factor of 3-4....

What´s the reason for that noise level? None, nobody needs 140dB to enjoy racing... if earplugs reduce the sound you receive to 100dB, then they could be emitting 100dB directly and we all would enjoy the same sound without earplugs and without disturbing so much people

There´s no one single reason for that noise level, not even for noise freaks like yourself. You could be hearing the same sound without earplugs and everbody would be happy
Andres125sx wrote:I was expecting this behaviour on most places, but not on a technical forum. The most techincal part of this discussion IMHO is the v8 were well beyond the safe limit for the spectators, but nobody even mention it, most people care about a subjective component more than about their own health :?
Precisely because it's a technical forum that you don't see the common place "OMG this is dangerous" argument here. It's racing, there is going to be noise and risk. There are special equipment and procedures REQUIRED to the activity because of it, like EARPLUGS
Precisely because it´s a technical forum I was thinking people would have a better understanding about what 140dB are, but you´re proving me wrong saying with earplugs everything is solved....

140dB is a complete atrocity, your hearing can be damaged even at a much lower noise level. I know people usually know nothing about sound and what dB means, but that is absurd. Ask your doctor next time you see him.

And yes, you can think what you want, but when I see something wich is harmful for an adult, then I instantly think about children. If an adult hearing will suffer, a child who is still growing will probably suffer some serious and permanent injury if he removes his earplugs at some point. Would you risk your son hearing assuming he will never remove his earplugs during the race? I know you hearing ignorant (sorry but it´s true, we all ignore more things that we know, and you´re an ignorant at this field) don´t understand what 140dB means, but you, being an adult, just need some seconds to suffer permanent injuries, so for a child who´s still growing this is a lot more critic, and he will probably remove his earplugs at some point if he´s not the most responsible child on planet earth.
Andres125sx wrote:Ok I agree I did prefer V8 sound too, but sound is sound, it´s circumstantial. I´m really surprised 33% of people who voted think they´ve take the soul away, to me the sound can never be so important on racing and I was naively thinking on F1T I´d find more people agreing with me
Surprised? Circumstantial? It's as much of an essential part of motorsport as tires being pushed to the limit, inches being disputed by multiple cars and breaking as fast as possible. We are motorsports fans here, and understand the importance of elements essentially related to racing. A race without sound is like watching soccer being blind. This is not chess. For soccer, you need to see it to feel it. Racing demands seeing and hearing. That's why the day regular motorsport is not done anymore, it will die. No Formula E will save it, it will be a curiosity at most. It will be as exciting as a typing competition, a sport that no one cares except those who do it

I'm actually happy F1T has most of its people REAL motorsports fans and people who didn't join the insanity train of politically correct/eco babble/too much health concern thinking. Do you know the ONLY completely non harmful way of racing? NONE. All that insanity leads people to support hypocritical things like "green and quiet racing" and eventually to support the banning of it
Can you say radical? Green and quiet or noise to the unsafe limit.... Do you know there are a lot of intermediate points?

GP2 is not green and quiet but it´s not harmfull either, as it is MotoGP, Nascar, Indy, WRC... and basically most motorsports

Nobody said motorsports or F1 must be green and quiet, but if they´re not harmfull for their spectators that would be nice I think :roll:
Last edited by Andres125sx on 21 Mar 2014, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.

Andres125sx

mistrx wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Ok I agree I did prefer V8 sound too, but sound is sound, it´s circumstantial. I´m really surprised 33% of people who voted think they´ve take the soul away, to me the sound can never be so important on racing and I was naively thinking on F1T I´d find more people agreing with me
Well it might be just your fault you can't appreciate sound of proper F1 engine - which is music to me (oh that 3.5L Honda V10 that Senna drove gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it) - your brain just might be not capable of that. Here is an explanation: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/6/547762 ... ying-music
It also explains why there is so much sh*t "music" spilled out of radiostations. People like you just can't tell the difference between "circumstantial sounds" and thus don't care to what sh*t they are listening to. Good to know from scientists that basically this type of people - apparently present at this forum in not small numbers - is deprived of greatness of good sound/music. Now I don't feel that sad for those people (which I truly was) but I am even more happy I am capable of enjoing it! I couldn't live without what you call "circumstantial sound".
I´m getting tired of people who think if you don´t enjoy exactly the same they do, then it´s your fault, or you have some sort of problem.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you can´t accept people´s tastes are really subjetive and varied, then the problem is yours, not mine. And if you don´t understand I did prefer v8 sound too, then you have an added problem, you can´t read.

Andres125sx

Sulman wrote:
F1 Fanatic had a quote (I don't recall the source) that the existing PU is around 134db, down from 145db for the V8's.

That would sound roughly half as loud, but actually, still bad for you.
It is true. It is more easily tolerable, but bad for you in the long term. Just like going to a concert. If you are going to harm your hearing, the concert (or the engine noise) better be worth listening. A middle ground of around 140db would be ideal
Please stop doing blind statements. At 140dB you still need earplugs AND earmuffs to avoid hearing damage... Like people inside the pit do... How many spectators have you seen using earplugs and earmuffs?

Another point to take into consideration is the frequency. Lower frequencies are less harmfull at the same dB level, so v8 were more harmfull even if v6 would produce the same dB level.

Anycase the measured dB Sulman quoted (thanks for the reminder) are close to the car. At the stands it´s not that high, but anycase the difference (145 vs 134dB) is a huge difference. At 145 you could be receiving more than 140dB wich is the upper limit when you´re wearing earplugs even at the stands, while 134dB is under this limit even close to the car, so the difference is huge.

You really don´t understand what 140dB is. Sound scale is not linear, each 6 dB increase means you´ve duplicated the volume. 120 is the limit (without earplugs) before suffering permanent damage even if it´s just for some seconds, so 126 is double the limit, 132 is 4 times the limit, 138 8 times, and 144dB is 16 times the upper limit to avoid hearing damage without earplugs.

This means v8 sound, 145 dB, was almost twice the safe limit when you´re using earplugs #-o As I said, an atrocity.

I hope you now understand how crazy is 140dB, it´s not something a bit too loud, it´s 16 times a bit too loud

BTW, if the problem would only be the noise, I would have introduced mufflers for the v8. They lower the noise level, but it could be as cool as the original sound, or even bettter

mistrx
mistrx

Andres125sx wrote:
mistrx wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Ok I agree I did prefer V8 sound too, but sound is sound, it´s circumstantial. I´m really surprised 33% of people who voted think they´ve take the soul away, to me the sound can never be so important on racing and I was naively thinking on F1T I´d find more people agreing with me
Well it might be just your fault you can't appreciate sound of proper F1 engine - which is music to me (oh that 3.5L Honda V10 that Senna drove gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it) - your brain just might be not capable of that. Here is an explanation: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/6/547762 ... ying-music
I´m getting tired of people who think if you don´t enjoy exactly the same they do, then it´s your fault, or you have some sort of problem.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you can´t accept people´s tastes are really subjetive and varied, then the problem is yours, not mine. And if you don´t understand I did prefer v8 sound too, then you have an added problem, you can´t read.
Well, for someone telling the other he can't read it seems you didn't read both my post and the article I posted. I am using words such as "might be possible", "might be capable" and it is by any means not pointed against you personally. But when someone states "sound is sound, sound is circumstantial", well that means something - something possibly connected with what is described in the article. And if you read carefully I stated just the opposite you are trying to put into my mouth by this
"I´m getting tired of people who think if you don´t enjoy exactly the same they do, then it´s your fault, or you have some sort of problem.... :evil: :evil: :evil: "
Because I said it might be not your fault but just caused by the way how your - and others - brain works. Something similar to that generally women can multitask better than men (result of bit different brain). So calm down, take it easy and read carefully. Peace out

xpensive
xpensive

thedutchguy wrote:
CriXus wrote:What would be the possible HP of these engine if we have fuel per race equals to 150kg, no fuel flow rate limitation and engine hitting 15k? Are these parameters possible and if they are, will the engines' volume be higher? Sorry if the question is stupid, but i am not into the engineering stuff. :D
No fuel rate limitation would mean almost limitless power if the boost pressure can be increased as well.
In the 80's, 1,5 liter turbo engines were capable of 1500 bph in qualifying at less than 10.000 rpm, so with today's technology that could even be much higher.
And wouldn't we just love to see that again, racing on 'roids?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

xpensive
xpensive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq14vtm-NE

Naaah, the sound doesn't have any effect on the perception of racing...afraid the poster was a bit optimistic for 2014 though?

CHT
CHT

xpensive wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq14vtm-NE

Naaah, the sound doesn't have any effect on the perception of racing...afraid the poster was a bit optimistic for 2014 though?
"studio" recording you always give you a richer sound.. now difference from artist who sounded good on records but fail badly during stage performance.

xpensive
xpensive

CHT wrote:
xpensive wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq14vtm-NE

"studio" recording you always give you a richer sound.. now difference from artist who sounded good on records but fail badly during stage performance.
Right, in reality you get this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TcYg8yVTw

bdr529

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote: This kind of argument is like people who say petrol and chemicals are bad because if you eat them or rub them in your skin you may die/be harmed. WHO THE F*CK WILL DO THAT?
Funny you should ask, My family owned a paint and chemical manufacturing company and some idiot that worked there used to clean himself off using xylene or toluene etc.., long story short, I hear he doesn't travel to far from a dialysis machine.

As for the new turbo engine, I don't have a problem with the lack of sound coming from them, I don't remember them being all that loud back in the early part of the 80's, but then that was the sound of progress, no turbo, no win.
I think thats the big difference, back then it took more then 5 years to convert the grid over to turbos, so we eased into it so to speak.

Andres125sx

mistrx wrote: Well, for someone telling the other he can't read it seems you didn't read both my post and the article I posted. I am using words such as "might be possible", "might be capable" and it is by any means not pointed against you personally. But when someone states "sound is sound, sound is circumstantial", well that means something - something possibly connected with what is described in the article. And if you read carefully I stated just the opposite you are trying to put into my mouth by this
"I´m getting tired of people who think if you don´t enjoy exactly the same they do, then it´s your fault, or you have some sort of problem.... :evil: :evil: :evil: "
Because I said it might be not your fault but just caused by the way how your - and others - brain works. Something similar to that generally women can multitask better than men (result of bit different brain). So calm down, take it easy and read carefully. Peace out
So you hide behind conditionals to lack respect for people who disagree with you, trying to picture him like someone who can´t appreciatte beauty just because his liking is different from yours :!:

Ok, I accept there are all kind of people on this planet, including those who think they´re the only normal people on the planet and anyone different from himself is limited in some way.... It´s pretty sad IMHO, but I accept it

Mandrake
Mandrake

Another solution ;)

At least makes me giggle which is more of a reaction than the actual sound creates ;)

strad

The sound discussion reminds me of when Hydroplanes went from internal combustion to the turbines.
For many fans it was never the same after. They used to shake your innards when they went by, and now they just whistle past.
It's odd that we also at that same time went from hull to hull racing to races won by a lap.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss