Did F1 need a greener engine formula?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Did F1 need a greener engine formula?

GitanesBlondes wrote:But what this all comes down to at the end of the day is that the V6 engines we now have, are an expensive exercise in how to waste money as they serve no real purpose.
One could argue that applies to everything in racing and the only real difference is how much money is burnt.

stephenwh
stephenwh

GitanesBlondes wrote:But what this all comes down to at the end of the day is that the V6 engines we now have, are an expensive exercise in how to waste money as they serve no real purpose. They can't be developed in any meaningful sense as time goes by, nor do they have any practical technology for every day cars. They do not benefit the environment in any real sense, nor do they save fuel in any meaningful sense.

The only upside of them as best as I can see to date (this could change) is that the FIA has managed to mobilize the dreaded fanboy contingent to go forth to spread their gospel about green energy, efficiency, and some vague benefit to the planet while being transported about in fuel burning jumbo jets...
Of course the fuel being saved is meaningful. .........[moderator edit. I've tried to reign in your nemesis' posts. In return, please don't make personal derogatory remarks back and start a flame war. Flag the post instead and I'll try to keep things civil.]

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

If it keeps going the way it is there will be a whole lot more petrol being saved with no more F1! What company in their right mind will want to spend a ton of money on expensive, irrelevant and complex technology that the average fan cannot comprehend?

xpensive
xpensive

Vettel Maggot wrote:If it keeps going the way it is there will be a whole lot more petrol being saved with no more F1! What company in their right mind will want to spend a ton of money on expensive, irrelevant and complex technology that the average fan cannot comprehend?
That's a very good point, I cannot for my life comprehend what Honda hopes to gain with their engagement in this show,
a show that not even MrE himself appreciates any longer, must be sentimental reasons from a quarter of a century back?

Afraid many will be appalled first time they see this fuel-saving caravan of vacuum-cleaners, imagine the COTA-audience?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Cam

GitanesBlondes wrote:The only upside of them as best as I can see to date (this could change) is that the FIA has managed to mobilize the dreaded fanboy contingent to go forth to spread their gospel about green energy, efficiency, and some vague benefit to the planet while being transported about in fuel burning jumbo jets...
Sad thing is they could of done both. Keep the V8's and cut back on all the excess transporting and staff. between the money saved there and the money saved not developing this new engine - they could have carbon offset F1 for 1000 years and burnt as much fuel as they liked, guilt free.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

xpensive
xpensive

Cam wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:The only upside of them as best as I can see to date (this could change) is that the FIA has managed to mobilize the dreaded fanboy contingent to go forth to spread their gospel about green energy, efficiency, and some vague benefit to the planet while being transported about in fuel burning jumbo jets...
Sad thing is they could of done both. Keep the V8's and cut back on all the excess transporting and staff. between the money saved there and the money saved not developing this new engine - they could have carbon offset F1 for 1000 years and burnt as much fuel as they liked, guilt free.
Like someone said many years ago; "If the FIA want to cap costs, why don't they limit the wing-span of the private jets?"
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

I just think in 50 years we will look back on this 'green' fad in the same manner as the Earth being flat.

thedutchguy

Lewis Hamiltons take on the new engine (sounds). Short version: F1 has gotten slower and the sound has gotten less impressive since he started caring, but "it is what it is".

I'm not burning Lewis - from a drivers standpoint is really 'is that it is' but that doesn't go for the sport as a whole. The sport is what the rulemakers make it and nobody - drivers included - seem to be very happy with it.
Since I started driving in F1 in 2006-07, the cars have got slower and easier to drive.

In 2007, we had more downforce, the speed through corners was faster, the races were a series of sprints between fuel stops.

Now, it's still very physical, but for someone who trains a lot, like all the drivers do, it's nowhere near as demanding. We all say, "that race was easy", or "it's easy to drive the car now".

It's all relative, of course. You still have to be very fit - if a normal person got in the car, it would destroy them.

But while we're not as stretched physically, don't think we're not on the limit. Whatever I drive, I will push to the limit.

This year, I am pushed more in the technical sense, in terms of the need to understand the car and all the things to optimise it, but I am still on the edge of what's humanly possible.

As for the criticisms of the sound of the new engines, it is what it is.

Every year, things change. The V10s from the early 2000s sounded better than the V8s which F1 used from 2006-13. Then we got used to the V8s and now we have gone to the turbo. It still sounds good.

When I first came to an F1 race, the first thing I noticed was the noise vibrated my chest. I was 11 years old and it nearly burst my ear drums, and that excited me so much.

But people watching on TV don't get that - even if they have the very best sound system. You only get that at the track.

Now, they won't have that. But the races still look cool.

Some people will say they just want the loudest cars they can have, but we also have to think of the wider world and F1 is now at the forefront of developing great engines with lots of power but excellent fuel consumption.

What we have been able to achieve with these engines is incredible - we get the same power, if not more, out of a V6 than a V8 and use 30% less fuel. That's fantastic. And the new era of road cars will benefit.

F1 has always been about pushing technical boundaries, and that's what we're doing with these new engines.

Lewis Hamilton http://www.lewishamilton.com/post/bbc-malaysia-gp/

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Ok, this thing has gotten way off topic. I'm going to just delete the posts in the gearboxes flame war, etc. And the ones in which people get into you're a Greenie, why do you bother with F1? The semi-automatic gearboxes aren't really a part of this latest 'green" push in F1. I've also edited posts which included personal attacks. This ought to be somewhat more on track now. Although I agree with Turbo that it may have run it's full course.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Ok, this is locked. You've all had your say and it's just a breeding ground for flaming now.