Question Re: Beeping in drivers ear

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Question Re: Beeping in drivers ear

Malaysian GP topic is locked, so:

I remember hearing something about 'driving to the beeps' during today's Malaysian GP. This is an indicator when to back off the throttle upon corner entry to save fuel? Does anyone know if this is on going all race and in 'real time' and variable or just a constant pre set program as such. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Is this really what the sport has become?

el-Magico
el-Magico

Re: Question Re: Beeping in drivers ear

Was it not related to the shift-lights on the dash?
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

luke!
luke!

Vettel Maggot wrote:Malaysian GP topic is locked, so:

I remember hearing something about 'driving to the beeps' during today's Malaysian GP. This is an indicator when to back off the throttle upon corner entry to save fuel? Does anyone know if this is on going all race and in 'real time' and variable or just a constant pre set program as such. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Is this really what the sport has become?
The exact expression that I've listened to during a team radio was "hit the beeps". As far as I know the beeps indicate when the engine is in the ideal revs for an upshift.

Per
Per

On the BBC they said after this radio message that there are beeps for indicating both the upshifting points and the lift-off point for fuel saving.

luke!
luke!

Maybe this is a function that they've introduced in this season. This is the article (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/51716/1/ex ... beeps.html) from which, many years ago, I discovered the existence of those beeps.

NTS
NTS

RIC might be less used to it or just not good at it, because they also asked him to "hit the beeps" in Melbourne twice. I think at one occasion they said "we're ok on fuel, hit the beeps" which sounded to me like he was short shifting while they didn't consider it necessary.