Drag on a radiator

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tyranno
tyranno

Drag on a radiator

Hey

Currently I am working on a project to know what is the best angle for a radiator to be fitted in a car that will reduce the drag and increase the heat exchange also.
The thing that is bothering me is that most motor sport cars including F1 angles the radiator and it is because of
- Lowering the COG
- Increasing the traction

I want to know what is the angle used for the radiator for the cars? Are the fins angled or just the radiator?
if the radiator is at angle of 135 or 45 will the drag and heat exchange be the same?

WillerZ

Re: Drag on a radiator

F1 doesn't care about radiator drag optimisation; or at least it's so far down the list that it will never be the primary driver of where they locate and orient the radiators.

xpensive
xpensive

Re: Drag on a radiator

Many attempts has been made to ditch the radiator for "surface cooling" to reduce drag, where a memorable xample was
Gordon Murray's Brabham BT46, see below. But Murray later admitted it was a hoax, just a decoy for the BT46B fan-car.

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"