Vergne Was Hospitalized After Starving Himself

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GitanesBlondes

Vergne Was Hospitalized After Starving Himself

This seems to be making the rounds now in the news. Was it even reported he was in the hospital at all between Melbourne and Malaysia?

In any event here is the link to Jalopnik's article...

http://jalopnik.com/f1-driver-jean-eric ... 341/+samer
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Vergne Was Hospitalized After Starving Himself

the Weight thing sure does get at you but then Look at Hulk Who is a Big Boy and still manages to be right up there. I'd guess beating those with an unfair advantage in Hand Must be VERY rewarding indeed...think positive instead of bringing you down on things you cannot really change...

GitanesBlondes

marcush. wrote:the Weight thing sure does get at you but then Look at Hulk Who is a Big Boy and still manages to be right up there. I'd guess beating those with an unfair advantage in Hand Must be VERY rewarding indeed...think positive instead of bringing you down on things you cannot really change...
Hulkenberg is an exceptional talent in that regard. Not sure how he manages doing what he does when being a bigger driver is such a penalty nowadays. Even today...missing Q3 and then still making a serious run at a podium?
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

wesley123
wesley123

Wouldn't this problem be solved by including the driver in the minimum weight(if they aren't already)?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

lebesset
lebesset

as often suggested , minimum weight for driver/seat
the small drivers would still have an advantage , but not so much

rumour says the drivers resited this
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

SilverArrow10

So was it Vergne that collapsed during the PR meeting that Martin Brundle talked about in Mal?
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

langwadt
langwadt

wesley123 wrote:Wouldn't this problem be solved by including the driver in the minimum weight(if they aren't already)?
the minimum weight is including driver, that's why the drivers get weighted after the race

Cam

I'm surprised no-one has pulled the "Safety" card on this one yet. All this talk of ensuring the driver is safe... surely that must extend to their capability to control the car? Having drivers starving themselves, causing themselves harm, surely puts them in a dangerous position where they should not be in control of any sort of equipment, let alone a race car. A few drivers have spoken about this facet and I wonder if it'll take an on-track accident to force the issue?

How big an issue this actually is is hard to gauge and the fact that no team has tried this card make me think it's nothing. All the teams seem content, so that green lights any diets these guys are on. Doesn't it?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

nacho
nacho

It's not right, it's very wrong. They should let them be athletes in great condition.

rahulsampath
rahulsampath

GitanesBlondes wrote:
marcush. wrote:the Weight thing sure does get at you but then Look at Hulk Who is a Big Boy and still manages to be right up there. I'd guess beating those with an unfair advantage in Hand Must be VERY rewarding indeed...think positive instead of bringing you down on things you cannot really change...
Hulkenberg is an exceptional talent in that regard. Not sure how he manages doing what he does when being a bigger driver is such a penalty nowadays. Even today...missing Q3 and then still making a serious run at a podium?
Hulk is able to achieve these results with his weight because Force India F1 had introduced a light weight chassis in Season opener Melbourne which brought the weight of the car below mandatory 691 KG. They were using ballast for bringing the cars weight to the mandatory weight. Therefore hulk doesn't have to lose weight also.

WALL_ZACK
WALL_ZACK

This is a really dangerous way to head, particularly if they're pushing the lower limits on fluid consumption and extreme calorie restriction. It's not out of the question for one of these guys to have a heart attack or stroke whilst they're driving due to the cumulative stress. They're also going to end up having some pretty significant health problems in later life if they have to keep up these practices for a long period of time, particularly increasing their lifetime risk of cancer and neuro-degenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Simple solution, minimum driver weight prior to the race which is a combination of actual body weight and ballast mounted directly beneath the driver (maybe even forming the seat structure). To stop teams having clever ideas about losing water weight during the race to gain speed, there should be a maximum allowable weight difference pre and post race based on a stress test pre-season to establish how much weight a driver loses over a race distance. This should be entirely separate from the wet weight of the car. Also make the minimum cockpit volume bigger so that there is no disadvantage for bigger drivers like Ricciardo with his barge arse...

Kiril Varbanov

This is absolutely ridiculous and plain wrong. Couple of kilograms up and everybody will be happy. On the other hand, most F1 drivers look un-proportionally skinny, and they'll be happy to be allowed to eat.

Has Verge tried this diet by himself? If yes - plain stupid move. If no and prescribed by a nutritionist, he must think twice.
But again, I vote for happy drivers. Same goes for ski jumpers.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Mark Webber has said he has put on 3-4kg since F1 and he still looks too thin! This is not a good situation, something has to be done.

iotar__

Yep, this again but don't expect anything done about it.
Vergne ended up in hospital, Sutil is pulling no water bottle stunts to draw attention, is generally pissed and gets into accidents but as long as top teams are fine it doesn't matter. Vergne said it costs him 0,4 to Kvyat. So where is care for the sports from Newey, Montezemolo and all the rest here? Too busy worrying about sensors and fuel, I guess. Same for journalists busy either selling this season as the greatest or lamenting as the worst depending on the side they're on.

Another "thing" was dehydrating before the races, if done properly and once in a while it wouldn't be a problem (like boxing) but they have 20 races per year, week, two weeks separated and have to stay too thin/light in between. it adds one extremity to another.
Don't tell me it doesn't matter, one: we don't know who's faster, two: in a long run it's even more shallow talents pool, as if money and nationality/marketing weren't enough.

iotar__

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113342 Doctor Jean Todt has no concerns:
"I think normally you can do a good diet and not to have to go to hospital because you have been losing so many kilos. "I don't think you go to hospital because you are on a diet."

But then again he wasn't worried about flying wheels until one hit cameraman in the head, same here. Weight increase next season despite it not being a problem, it's not now but it will be in 2015, flawless logic.