intra-team battles: why 2014 is a great year for F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph

intra-team battles: why 2014 is a great year for F1

With all the negative threads here in the General Chat section, I'd like to have a thread about something good in F1 this year, the intra-team battles!

The most visible right now is -of course- between Hamilton and Rosberg, but think about it:

Vettel/Ricciardo
If it wasn’t for the DSQ, Ricciardo would be ahead by 7 points right now. He also out-qualified Vettel twice, and while the grid penalty caused him to start the race from P13, he finished fourth, with Vettel starting from P11 and finishing sixth.
I don’t necessarily think he is better or quicker, but he sure seems ready for the challenge. And I don’t think Vettel is gonna take that lying down.

Button/Magnussen
Only three points apart in the WDC, the rookie took Button to task in AUS, whereas the former champ had the upper hand in the second and third race. I think Button’s experience gives him the upper hand for now, but how long that will be the case remains to be seen.

Alonso/Raikkonen
So far it looks like Alonso has got this sown up, but I don’t expect it to stay that way. I still think Alonso will end up higher in the final standings than Raikkonen, but I don’t doubt that the latter will give him much more competition in the races ahead. It is unfortunate that they have to slug it out with a donkey cart tied to their back.

Hulkenberg/Perez
Both have a point to prove, and it looks like they have a car to do it with. Hulk looks more consistent overall, but today Perez showed that he can beat his teammate when everything is working for him.

Massa/Bottas
Massa has made it clear that he is not gonna back down for anybody, least of all his young upstart teammate. Bottas may be a little quicker, but twice he has not been able to overtake his more experienced colleague.

Vergne/Kvyat
I have been surprised by the rookie! He seems ready and able to challenge Vergne.

I haven't seen enough of the other teams to really know what's going on there, but there'll be similar challenges there, no doubt!

Moxie

Re: intra-team battles: why 2014 is a great year for F1

I most strongly disagree!!! I must admit that the Hamilton/Rosberg battle for the lead was fun to watch. However, for much of the points paying positions ran in two by two formation. Inter-team battles are often an interesting side story, but a side story none the less. Once again I think we will watching a season where the interesting battles are for rank in the middle of the field.