BMW, Ford considering F1 return

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: BMW, Ford considering F1 return

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Why would BMW be back in F1? They own DTM now, and they have wings! For mirrors support.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlQsLMlIQAA4Jpd.jpg:large

Because unless you are a Motor racing fanatic or German you would not know What it was or that BMW were any good at it, F1 is the ONLY world-wide highly publicised motor sport, being on news channels & newspapers all over the world

if Mercedes, Renault, Honda & others are getting good publicity out of it, it may not be long before others want in too

that was the whole idea behind the change of engine formula

after all, if you asked 100 people who mike rockenfeller & sebastian vettel were i'd bet you vettel would out number mike 100-1 on recognition

heidenreich27
heidenreich27

Bmw pls comeback, I know if they make engines it will be atleast on par with mercedes.

BMW Engines are very good at Road Cars

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Stop the disrespect here. I just deleted all those posts and gave a couple of warnings.

Pierce89

GitanesBlondes wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:I think with LMP1 now being closer to F1 there might be some manufacturers inclined to switch between both types of racing just as it complimemts their technical strength and the current opposition in the formula they are fighting. In total there will be more manufacturers joining LMP1 and F1. It remains to be seen which is the more attractive.
Currently LMP1 looks really hot, but that can change if Bernie gets convicted in Germany as I fully expect he will.
LMP1 is not closer to F1, as your statement would imply that F1 is ahead of LMP1.

It's not.

LMP1 has far surpassed anything F1 has to offer currently. The 6 Hours of Silverstone this weekend is going to be real eye-opening for anyone who thinks F1's hybrid systems and approach to racing currently, offers any real competition to the LMP1 cars.
Why is a six hour fuel run any better than a two hour fuel run?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

GitanesBlondes

Pierce89 wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:I think with LMP1 now being closer to F1 there might be some manufacturers inclined to switch between both types of racing just as it complimemts their technical strength and the current opposition in the formula they are fighting. In total there will be more manufacturers joining LMP1 and F1. It remains to be seen which is the more attractive.
Currently LMP1 looks really hot, but that can change if Bernie gets convicted in Germany as I fully expect he will.
LMP1 is not closer to F1, as your statement would imply that F1 is ahead of LMP1.

It's not.

LMP1 has far surpassed anything F1 has to offer currently. The 6 Hours of Silverstone this weekend is going to be real eye-opening for anyone who thinks F1's hybrid systems and approach to racing currently, offers any real competition to the LMP1 cars.
Why is a six hour fuel run any better than a two hour fuel run?
Have you watched any WEC/24 Hours of Le Mans events recently?

They have refueling, and the races have turned into sprint races. Le Mans alone is fantastic when you consider these guys are on the limit lap after lap over 24 hours. When's the last time you saw F1 cars being pushed hard? :lol:
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

calvarez
calvarez

Forgive my ignorance… is really that hard to take any of those successfully & approved V6 engines know-how and experience from BMW and Ford to create good F1 engines?

It’s not something as Judd did in the past?
This is Red 5, I’m going in.

xpensive
xpensive

calvarez wrote:Forgive my ignorance… is really that hard to take any of those successfully & approved V6 engines know-how and experience from BMW and Ford to create good F1 engines?

Are you the forum's new troll or what's going on here? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

GitanesBlondes

More like a Nigel Mansell fan.

Which I suppose when one thinks about it, is the same thing as a troll?
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

calvarez
calvarez

xpensive wrote:
calvarez wrote:Forgive my ignorance… is really that hard to take any of those successfully & approved V6 engines know-how and experience from BMW and Ford to create good F1 engines?

Are you the forum's new troll or what's going on here? :lol:
Oh no, I was just wondering on more technical terms since this is a technical forum :)

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps Ford can do a retro-number on this beauty then? :wink:

Sorry about that one Cal, but I couldn't help it, the Devil made me do it... :oops:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

calvarez
calvarez

Not a problem at all!...

TurboLag
TurboLag

jagunx51 wrote:.... they dont have drs actually :wink:
Actually, they do :wink:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

:wtf: holy 8 months old topic revival, batman!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SilverArrow10

Id love BMW to buy a stake in Sauber again, it would stop all their money problems and lead to hopefully another strong team in formula 1
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Sombrero
Sombrero

More likely a return to Le Mans for both factories in 2016.