Is Formula 1 going kit-car?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Is Formula 1 going kit-car?

timbo wrote:I learned a new word: disenfranchised. Anybody knows what this means? :)

We already have standard SECU, standard crash structures and mandatory central sections on the front wing. I think standard diffuser and floor might also work. Standard active suspension is interesting idea. It indeed may be much more cost effective, given today's FRIC systems. The question is what parts are common. If it is possible to have only standard actuators, control-units and sensors, while teams will choose their own mounting points, arms shape and so on, then we're not loosing much.
My point precisely, it seems to me the FIA is ready to take it to the next level, I can see standard wings and floor for 2015.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

Re: Is Formula 1 going kit-car?

We've been well on our way to a kit car formula for some time. Ever more restrictive aerodynamic regulations, standardised tyres, standardised engine electronics, and most of all, homologated engines that the privileged few can get loopholes in and standardised noise have produced the general borefest we have now.

The notion of bringing back active suspension twenty years after it was banned, supposedly for cost reasons, tells you the people running the sport haven't got the faintest idea.