Poll: Gene Haas F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

The Gene Hass F1 effort will:

Poll ended at 03 May 2014, 00:32

Compete in it's first F1 race at the first race of the 2015 season
22%
Compete in it's first F1 race at the first race of the 2016 season
37%
Will never start a race.
41%

Total votes: 86

gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Poll: Gene Haas F1

I would prefer them to start in 2016, as I would hate for them to be (at best) another HRT or (heaven forbid) another USF1 ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

FW17

Shock and Awe

or

Shake and Bake

Nowhereman

Ferrari is salivating on getting a customer team here in the US.
I believe that Ferrari will literally give away the PU / tranny devices and help with chassis interfacing to make a US team competitive.
Most likely Haas racing will be allowed to dip into Ferrari's young driver school also.
Some say Merc will be the supporter but, I believe it's already being worked out with Ferrari.
Lets see what happens.
No matter where you go, there you are.

strad

"I think 2015 is too close and 2016 is too far — that's kind of where I see it," Haas said. "If we wait until 2016 were are going to start delaying and spending even more money because we will be a neutral. ... What we need to do is come up with a plan where we can basically arrive with a car that is based on our partner's technology within the rules of the FIA. We are going to have to beg, borrow and steal to arrive at that first race so we can compete."
And I agree, but I also think he won't make it in time for 2015,,although I would like to be wrong. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Cam

Nowhereman wrote:Ferrari is salivating on getting a customer team here in the US.
I believe that Ferrari will literally give away the PU / tranny devices and help with chassis interfacing to make a US team competitive.
Most likely Haas racing will be allowed to dip into Ferrari's young driver school also.
Some say Merc will be the supporter but, I believe it's already being worked out with Ferrari.
Lets see what happens.
As Marco Mattiacci was the former CEO of Ferrari North America - this sounds pretty solid. If he is worth his salt, he would've already had all this tee'd up with Haas well before Stefano Domenicali's exit. For all we know, it was that kind of thinking that gave Mattiacci the nod in the first place. What better way to bring in some experience racing 'new blood' and expand the brand into the US. If this isn't what's happening... one wonders why not.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Moxie
Moxie

Cam wrote:
Nowhereman wrote:Ferrari is salivating on getting a customer team here in the US.
Lets see what happens.
As Marco Mattiacci was the former CEO of Ferrari North America - this sounds pretty solid. If he is worth his salt, he would've already had all this tee'd up with Haas well before Stefano Domenicali's exit. For all we know, it was that kind of thinking that gave Mattiacci the nod in the first place. What better way to bring in some experience racing 'new blood' and expand the brand into the US. If this isn't what's happening... one wonders why not.
I believe it is still true that Ferrari sells more cars in the US than in Europe. Ferrari North America has been active in sponsoring teams for the Grand Am series in the past few years, and currently sponsors a couple of teams in the Tudor Sports Car Championship, as well as sponsors the Ferrari Challenge series. Therefore, it would not surprise me if Ferrari were to build a relationship with an American F1 entrant. Whether that entrant will be Haas???

If Ferrari would build an F1 relationship with an American entrant, I would have expected it to come from the ranks of Indy or Tudor. I'd love to see Chip Ganassi play the F1 game. I'd love to see those Taylor kids get some seat time in open wheelers. I'd love to see Eddie Cheever, or Bobby Rahal take another whirl in F1 world. Penske did. and could again, but I don't think he would want to get back into F1.

One thing is for sure. Haas had better build some damned good relationships with someone. He has pretty much announced to the world that he is going to show them how it's done, and it appears that his organization has precious little road racing experience or logistics experience performing on an international stage.

Cam

Moxie wrote:He has pretty much announced to the world that he is going to show them how it's done....
Don't all yanks though :)

It actually has all the ingredients for a super-power strategic alliance. Consider this, Ferrari uses Haas as a backdoor into Dellara - who's already Italian (good fit) and who has simply masses of amounts of skills and resources in all areas of racing, let alone open wheels (Indy Car, Indy Lights, Super Formula, World Series 3.5, Formula E, GP2, GP3 and Formula 3). It's probably not so much Haas wanting to go F1 racing, but Ferrari needing a pawn to pull it off and it gets a USA team on the grid to appease the FIA and MrE. If this was a legitimate plan from Ferrari, it's genius. This will make Red Bull Technology look like a back yard shop in comparison.

Maybe this is why Haas is so cocky?

Dallara & Ferrari - a two mega factory all-access ticket, for the price of one. It's actually a little frightening.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Moxie
Moxie

Cam wrote:
Moxie wrote:He has pretty much announced to the world that he is going to show them how it's done....
Don't all yanks though :)

It actually has all the ingredients for a super-power strategic alliance. Consider this, Ferrari uses Haas as a backdoor into Dellara - who's already Italian (good fit) and who has simply masses of amounts of skills and resources in all areas of racing, let alone open wheels (Indy Car, Indy Lights, Super Formula, World Series 3.5, Formula E, GP2, GP3 and Formula 3). It's probably not so much Haas wanting to go F1 racing, but Ferrari needing a pawn to pull it off and it gets a USA team on the grid to appease the FIA and MrE. If this was a legitimate plan from Ferrari, it's genius. This will make Red Bull Technology look like a back yard shop in comparison.

Maybe this is why Haas is so cocky?

Dallara & Ferrari - a two mega factory all-access ticket, for the price of one. It's actually a little frightening.

I didn't define what that damned good relationship must be. If stooge is the relationship he chooses, to develop, I guess only the future knows. It does kind of fit with a scenario bouncing around my head. He brags about doing this the American way.I can see him outsourcing the whole F-ing show...an "American" F1 team: Designed by Germans, built by Italians, managed by Brits, transported by Spaniards, catered by French and driven by Fins. The only American of the bunch will be the embarrassing loudmouth at the helm. Your conspiracy theory doesn't contradict my more general theory that he is full of feces.

bhall
bhall

Cam wrote:[...]
Consider this, Ferrari uses Haas as a backdoor into [Dallara]...
It doesn't even have to go that far. Ferrari can simply give/sell the IP rights for the F14 T to Haas, and the FIA will allow Haas to race with the chassis. If, for any reason, it's necessary for Ferrari to ultimately retain the IP rights to the F14 T, Haas could give/sell them back to the Scuderia at the end of the season, but keep the IP rights to the new, Haas-developed "GH02" born from development of Ferrari's former car, the "GH01." (After all, they're called Haas Racing Developments, not Haas Racing Chassis That We Totally Make All By Ourselves, Really.)
Autoweek wrote:...an entry would be able to take advantage of the fact that the FIA is relaxing the rules on technology sharing between teams next season. Haas would be able to buy almost everything he needs for an F1 program from Maranello. However, he has to own the intellectual property of his chassis and bodywork.
It's been speculated that Ferrari once had a similar arrangement with Sauber. It's not hard to see why...

C23 and F2004

Cam

bhall wrote:It's been speculated that Ferrari once had a similar arrangement with Sauber. It's not hard to see why...
Don't they still? I thought it was common knowledge. And all this talk of customer cars :wtf:

Good point about the IP though. There's a few way to skin this cat. To be clear, I have no facts on my theory, just speculation. I'm trying to understand how/why Haas would do this, who has the most to gain, who has the most to loose. It's like playing poker, if you're unsure who the patsy at the table is - it's you.
Moxie wrote:I can see him outsourcing the whole F-ing show...an "American" F1 team: Designed by Germans, built by Italians, managed by Brits, transported by Spaniards, catered by French and driven by Fins.
LOL - yep, that's about how I envision this thing going down. 'murica all the way. :)
― Socrates

bhall
bhall

Cam wrote:
bhall wrote:It's been speculated that Ferrari once had a similar arrangement with Sauber. It's not hard to see why...
Don't they still? I thought it was common knowledge. And all this talk of customer cars :wtf:

Good point about the IP though. There's a few way to skin this cat. To be clear, I have no facts on my theory, just speculation. I'm trying to understand how/why Haas would do this, who has the most to gain, who has the most to loose. It's like playing poker, if you're unsure who the patsy at the table is - it's you.

[...]
I think any serious technical collaboration between Ferrari and Sauber ended when the latter was sold to BMW. Since then, Sauber's cars have appeared to be pretty far removed from Maranello's designs, their Ferrari-supplied powerplants notwithstanding.

Otherwise, the C23 was pretty much a clone of the F2004, and the C24 was the result of a development path forged by Sauber-derived updates to that team's version of the F2004. Make sense?

In any case, a similar one-time push from Ferrari to Haas doesn't seem out of the question at all, because Ferrari has wanted an American affiliate for ages, which I guess I thought was common knowledge, too.
Luca DiMontezemolo wrote: On the question of a third car, we are determined. It would be nice to see a third Ferrari fielded perhaps by a private American team. I'm thinking of a team like Ganassi or Penske.

[Bernie] Ecclestone agrees and [Frank] Williams, who was against it before, understands now. Don't you think it would be nice to see a team like Penske or Ganassi deploy a Ferrari with an American driver?
Or Haas?

EDIT: Incidentally, such a move is not without precedent: NART

strad

As I read your post I was thinking N.A.R.T.. :)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

This is NART, 6.9 liters of it.

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kooleracer
kooleracer

If they are really serious about operating from the US, this project will fail almost for sure. First problem is getting the right people to work for you, i don't see people moving from the UK to work in the US for a start-up. Second the are buying there chasis from Dallara we all have seen the peace of kit that they give HRT. The only way is see this project work if they collaborate with a manufacturer that has F1 experience (BMW,Toyota, etc). The smartest thing for Gene Haas to do is buy Marussia or Sauber they already have the Ferrari link and everything is already in place. To setup you own F1 team is big waist of money. I know that Haas owns a top of the line Windtunnel in the US I would really like them succeed but so far i'm not really impressed.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Cam

kooleracer wrote:If they are really serious about operating from the US, this project will fail almost for sure.
For sure? For the moment the whole project looks to be outsourced, so simply managing that process could be done with a smart phone from anywhere (ok, maybe not that simply...but you get the point).
kooleracer wrote:I don't see people moving from the UK to work in the US for a start-up
When you're family house is on the line and your kids are starving, a relatively secure job in the US seems almost too good to turn down. Beggars can't be choosers.
kooleracer wrote:Second the are buying there chasis from Dallara we all have seen the peace of kit that they give HRT.
For all we know that Dallara HRT chassis was a WDC car... but HRT couldn't afford it. It would be unwise to discount their competency based on one team with no money.
kooleracer wrote:The smartest thing for Gene Haas to do is buy Marussia or Sauber they already have the Ferrari link and everything is already in place.
Not everything - both the teams you mentioned don't have the winning pieces in place. They compete, yes, mid-to-back, but what good is that? Maybe being able to outsource the whole project, cherry picking talent and resources, is really smart... we'll have to wait and see.
kooleracer wrote:To setup you own F1 team is big waist of money.
Dietrich Mateschitz would disagree with you.
kooleracer wrote:I know that Haas owns a top of the line Windtunnel in the US I would really like them succeed but so far i'm not really impressed.
Tough crowd. All Haas has done is tell us what he wants to do and he's been honest enough to know it might not happen next year either... how else can he impress you? The fact he's even manage to secure a slot on the F1 grid is no mean feat. Plenty have tried and failed. I'm impressed so far, while keeping an open mind that this could be just another way for a few select people to rape a few more dollars from someone.
― Socrates