Amateur research assistants needed

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moxie
Moxie

Amateur research assistants needed

A discussion in one of the recent threads got me thinking. The more I thought the more my research juices started flowing. I have not been a scientist for a long time, but it felt good to start thinking again in term of experimental design, Especially since F1 is far removed from my former field of molecular biology. Let me be clear that there is no expected financial gain from this effort, only a chance to express my inner nerd. It is my hope that some of my fellow uber nerds in this forum might like the idea of contributing to research regarding F1. It is my intention to post the results here on F1 technical, as if it were a paper for a peer reviewed journal. Frankly, I can't think of a better group of peers for the topic I intend to study.

Experimental design.

Generally speaking this research might loosely fall under the category of marketing research, but the truth is that I intend to look at something different. The assistants will be required to watch the races while using a stopwatch. I really need more than one assistant because I will need one person to time the variable value, and I will need someone else to time the control value. The assistants will not know what my hypotheses is or the exact nature of the experiment. From race to race they will be asked to time various elements of the race broadcast. Then I will compile the results and write the paper. All assistants will be credited for their contributions as co-authors.

Is anyone interested, or is this just wishful uber nerd thinking?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Amateur research assistants needed

Why alienate or hide from your assistants from what you're trying to do? If you're truly interested in objective research, being more open about things may yield better results.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Lycoming
Lycoming

I don't understand why timing something needs to be done as a blind experiment. How long something takes to happen is not really subject to observer bias.

Moxie
Moxie

Jersey Tom wrote:Why alienate or hide from your assistants from what you're trying to do? If you're truly interested in objective research, being more open about things may yield better results.
It is part of the experimental control called a blind. When another human being knows the hypothesis, they may unconsciously introduce error into the measurement. They might be a little slower or faster on the stopwatch when a specific result would support the hypothesis.

It is my job in all of this to design the experiment in a way that prevents this from occurring.
Last edited by Moxie on 26 Apr 2014, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie
Moxie

Lycoming wrote:I don't understand why timing something needs to be done as a blind experiment. How long something takes to happen is not really subject to observer bias.
Excuse me for double posting.

Part of the problem here is the lack of repeatability. If the peers were all able to download and record the races and repeat my experiment then everyone would be able to verify that event "A" did indeed last 167 seconds. Some viewers may have this ability but I am certain that many do not. Without repeatability, it is even more necessary to control the possibility of experimental error.

___
___

If you're concerned about human error it's hard to imagine why you would need humans with stopwatches in the first place. Why not film your experiments and measure the timings you desire down to the last frame?

Moxie
Moxie

That would be perfect wouldn't, it. I have to work with the tools available to me. I do nothave video equipment, nor do I have the means to travel the world to film F1 races. As a home experiment it would be reasonable to use on-line video and use the player timer to take the measurements. Unfortunately, finding video of complete F1 races on-line is hard to find. I understand that most people who pay to watch F1 races pay to watch a live broadcast, and may not have the ability to pause and rewind the presentation.

Initially I was concerned about human error. I have conducted some preliminary observations, and I am confident that the stopwatch method will work just fine.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Are you asking for assistants that are viewing the race at the track, or video broadcasting?
Moxie wrote:Is anyone interested, or is this just wishful uber nerd thinking?
Well, if you are not telling what it is all about, why would anyone be interested in helping you? You're not convincing anyone of anything I'm afraid.

mnmracer
mnmracer

Sometimes you need to be brave and take a plunge into the deep.

Moxie
Moxie

Jef Patat wrote: Well, if you are not telling what it is all about, why would anyone be interested in helping you? You're not convincing anyone of anything I'm afraid.

Fair enough! It was an offer that I threw out there, with no expectations at all. I am very grateful for the few people who have offered their assistance, and I promise that they shall not be overworked.

When the project is complete and I "publish" it, then I have no doubt the critics will come out of the woodwork, an that is OK because that is what peer review is all about. But give me a break, I am not going to have my little hobby project derailed by a bunch of negative Nancy's who want to tell me how to do it, before it even gets started.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Is it really that hard to find people who have DVR?

Moxie
Moxie

Lycoming wrote:Is it really that hard to find people who have DVR?
Are you volunteering?

Shrieker

Do you want people on the trackside ? Or will the telly do ? I might be willing to help, but the broadcast i follow (RTL) has long commercial breaks at least 3-4 times a race. I tend to watch an online stream during the breaks tho.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Lycoming
Lycoming

Moxie wrote:
Lycoming wrote:Is it really that hard to find people who have DVR?
Are you volunteering?
No, I can't afford DVR :(

Moxie
Moxie

Shrieker wrote:Do you want people on the trackside ? Or will the telly do ? I might be willing to help, but the broadcast i follow (RTL) has long commercial breaks at least 3-4 times a race. I tend to watch an online stream during the breaks tho.
The tele is what I want. The commercial breaks wont matter.