What's in the Name? F1 W05 Hybrid...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Roops_F1
Roops_F1

What's in the Name? F1 W05 Hybrid...

The latest news from the paddock is that Mercedes have rechristened name of their chassis from F1 W05 to F1 W05 Hybrid.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 15793.html

In my view they want to take advantage of their dominance in f1 this season for marketing and branding gains for their road cars which run Hybrid engines. I have also noticed from their latest TV advertisements for road cars, that they are heavily emphasising on word 'Hybrid'.

Question is how much do they stand to gain by this strategy in terms increase of their brand value or sales figures for their road cars? I guess, only time will tell.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: What's in the Name? F1 W05 Hybrid...

Hopefully a lot... Because if the answer isn't a lot, they won't be an F1 team for long.

bhall
bhall

That ought to be worth at least 0.2s. Maybe more.

turbof1

bhall wrote:That ought to be worth at least 0.2s. Maybe more.
Are you sure? The 6 extra characters should give quite a big drag penalty.

yeah yeah I get the sarcasm
#AeroFrodo

MOWOG

I was gonna buy a Mercedes before this announcement, but now I think I'm gonna buy myself TWO! :twisted:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

WhiteBlue

The more important point IMO is the positive Image for F1. Joe Saward emphasised that in his blog. I agree with ihm. F1 needs the Promotion.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

langwadt
langwadt

WhiteBlue wrote:The more important point IMO is the positive Image for F1. Joe Saward emphasised that in his blog. I agree with ihm. F1 needs the Promotion.
and you could argue that, if you want the general public to understand what all the F1 regulations are about,
hybrid is the right name to use

Roops_F1
Roops_F1

WhiteBlue wrote:The more important point IMO is the positive Image for F1. Joe Saward emphasised that in his blog. I agree with ihm. F1 needs the Promotion.
I am not sure, whether Mercedes (just being in F1 for last 5 years) of all the other teams is really concerned about F1's Image. If we are talking of Ferrari, Williams or Mclaren we can understand that they would care for F1's Image as their own identity has always been tied up with F1's. Mercedes would be far more interested to make the most of these new regulations to be dominant and promote its brand, if it fails to do so then it will go down the same path as Toyota, BMW or Jaguar went (Quitting F1).

On the other hand, I even feel that Ferrari's chassis name F14T had something to do with promoting its parent company FIAT.

PlatinumZealot

I love it.
Hybrid just oozes "advancement" and techno-wizardry.

I love it to bed.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

zeph
zeph

WhiteBlue wrote:The more important point IMO is the positive Image for F1. Joe Saward emphasised that in his blog. I agree with him. F1 needs the Promotion.
Yeah. It's not often I agree with him, but I think he's right about this. F1 has undergone one of the biggest technical changes in history, and they have done f-all to promote it. What the teams have achieved is nothing short of miraculous.

I think Mercedes -prudently- waited to see just how competitive they were before marketing it. Advertising this only makes sense when you are winning.

Cocles

Roops_F1 wrote:
I am not sure, whether Mercedes (just being in F1 for last 5 years) of all the other teams is really concerned about F1's Image. If we are talking of Ferrari, Williams or Mclaren we can understand that they would care for F1's Image as their own identity has always been tied up with F1's.
It's inaccurate to compare them to BMW and Toyota for several reasons. The most obvious, of course, is Merc's history as an engine manufacturer. Less obvious includes their new seat on the FOM board. And they still use footage of their 1950's F1 cars in their ads. Perhaps they don't care about the image of F1 as much as Ferrari, but they're leaps and bounds ahead of the other recent manufacturers.

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

This car could turn out to be one of the best/most dominate Formula 1 cars of all time. born in a new era which uses super efficient hybrid power trains.

They can call it whatever the hell they they want. Why not emphasize that it's a hybrid? They should be proud...

Cam

There's already a platform for this:
โ€ข Porsche 919 Hybrid
โ€ข Toyota TS040 Hybrid
โ€ข Audi R18 e-tron quattro (Hybrid)

If you wanted to run a hybrid, with a hybrid name, why did't they all just run in LMP1 like the rest? If this is for marketing, surely beating other "hybrids" is a better (excuse the pun) vehicle, for selling consumer cars?
โ€œThere is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.โ€
โ€• Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. ยฉ all rights reserved.

Lycoming
Lycoming

WEC is a smaller audience though.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

I guess, they should strive to make the engines more fuel efficient while relaxing regulations on engine parts etc. Reduce fuel used by 5-6kg each year until they reach 75kg. And i hope they take this technolog to road cars.