virgin's four strikes against formula 1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gavingav1

virgin's four strikes against formula 1

http://www.virgin.com/entrepreneur/what ... disruption

you have to admit they have a point regarding formula 1 in the examples they state-i wonder how much longer bernie can sit on his throne and if formula 1 will modernise after he goes or if regular services will resume

Phillyred

Re: virgin's four strikes against formula 1

"So will Formula E be the disruptor that replaces Formula 1? The F1 fraternity certainly does not see Formula E as a serious threat, but then like all disruptors that could be the secret of their success."

I believe Formula E will probably have some initial mass fan-fare, but putter out in a few years in viewership/attendants because it is too "gimmicky" and just like the absence of noise in Formula 1 currently people will be turned off. Bernie's "model" in F1 is what really popularized the sport in the 80's/90's. Love him or hate him he did well for the sport in his time. Any attempts to regulate the business side of F1 and control costs will ultimately cause problems because money always talks no matter how the sport tries to evolve with this "green initiative" etc.. Perhaps Virgin is just getting pissy because they don't have or want to put forth the resources to get their sponsored teams up to a really competitive level. The TV/broadcast industry is what really needs some disruption. Give the people what they want. Let them choose what they want to watch wherever they live and let them pay for it al la carte..

wesley123

I see the views where they are coming from, although they are very much arguable. This seems to be written more as a hate article from a company who couldn't be successful quick enough in F1 than an actual, unbiased article.

The article uses examples of a fast changing market. The PC market was a developing market, F1 is not. In fact, F1 has been where it is for quite some time now, and the landscape around it changes. F1 has such a dominant factor that it has to go wrong for an incredibly long time. Not to mention the landscape around F1 changes in such a large way every few years that there will be no threat to F1. F1's market can be more compared to Microsoft than to IBM etc. etc. Their market is so incredibly strong that they have to go wrong for such a long time to go bust, or have to be affected by a changing landscape. For example, Microsoft is now affected by the switch to mobile platforms, not necessarily by their product. Will the same happen to F1? Who knows? Trends tend to shift from time to time.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

rjsa

Looks like a severe case of sour grapes to me...

bhall

Ben's strike against Formula E...

Fan Boost.

Vettel Maggot

bhall wrote:Ben's strike against Formula E...

Fan Boost.
Surely that is a joke? Horsepower boost through a Twitter vote? I don't really want to live anymore. :cry:

Cam

Phillyred wrote:"So will Formula E be the disruptor that replaces Formula 1? The F1 fraternity certainly does not see Formula E as a serious threat, but then like all disruptors that could be the secret of their success."
F1 certainly is not going to come out and say "FE is awesome, the best thing on the planet". Even if it was, they would never admit to it, what and dilute their brand? No way. They will be worried though and with merit.

F1 has a massive upset fan base, that's shrinking with empty grandstands in the middle of nowhere. Formula E is the new kid run smack in the middle of major city centres. Whether it succeeds through pure racing or by introducing gimmicks, such as 'tweet boosts', remains to be seen. Remember though, this is a 'new' category, so it stands alone. They haven't taken a great series and butchered it to death trying to please everyone. This is why I think they will go well. A blank sheet they can grow, carefully, step by step.

All FE has to do is learn from F1's mistakes, and they could do very well indeed. I for one, will be watching. Let's hope they don't bring any F1 legacy staff across. That will lead to failure. New faces, new talent, a new approach.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Tim.Wright

Vettel Maggot wrote:

Fan Boost.
Surely that is a joke? Horsepower boost through a Twitter vote? I don't really want to live anymore. :cry:
Given that we have heard nothing of this in the last 6 months, we can be pretty certain that the idea has been shít-canned.
Not the engineer at Force India

beelsebob

Fan Boost.
Wow, they can't be serious! That's just insane!

Andres125sx

Phillyred wrote:I believe Formula E will probably have some initial mass fan-fare, but putter out in a few years in viewership/attendants because it is too "gimmicky" and just like the absence of noise in Formula 1 currently people will be turned off.
I think it will be just the opposite, if it survive first seasson/s it could easlily overcome F1

Specially first seasson will be critic. It starts in 4 months, but today electric cars are still seen as something weird, scalestric cars, etc.

So I think first seasson is the most prone to be a disaster. But if people start watching the racing will be good for sure, first seassons it will be similar to GP3 and GP2, formula cars all the same, that more than enough to provide a tough and fun competition. If people can´t cope with a noiseless competition it will be now on first seasson when they won´t watch it, but if first seasson is a success because people realice racing is a lot more than engine noise :mrgreen: , I don´t see how it could dissapear on next seassons

Specially because this technology is so new there´s a huge margin to improve, so the cars will be much faster each seasson.

Then LiS batteries will arrive, and IMHO people is not conscious about how these new batteries will change the whole motor industry (assuming they match the announced perfomance or at least similar). They´re supposed to triple the energy density of current Lithium batteries, what means electric cars will become a real alternative to any ICE car.

Once electric cars are normal for everyone, people will realice they really are the future, they have too many advantages to care about the sound, so I think FE then will be considered the real pinnacle of motorsports in few years.... if it survive first seasson

IMO it´s F1 who should be worried about next seassons, because we´re talking about LiS batteries are supposed to be here in 5-10 years as much, that´s the lifespan of ICE engines

So I overall agree with Virgin, FE is the future and if they do it well it will be a real threat to F1 in few seassons
Phillyred wrote: Bernie's "model" in F1 is what really popularized the sport in the 80's/90's. Love him or hate him he did well for the sport in his time.
And I think we all are really gratefull with him because of that, but I think people in charge of any statement must be in charge for a limited period, and it doesn´t matter what statement we´re talking about, if FIA or a government. Bernie did great things for F1, but his time was over a long time ago, F1 needs new ideas, but good ideas, not double scoring on last gp or sprinklers or the engines frozen

wesley123

Andres125sx wrote: I think it will be just the opposite, if it survive first seasson/s it could easlily overcome F1
It also couldn't, hard to say. Formula 1 has it's market dominance, Formula E has to fight against a well developed market, and it definitely will have a hard time doing so.
Specially first seasson will be critic. It starts in 4 months, but today electric cars are still seen as something weird, scalestric cars, etc.
Which is weird since they are around for quite some time now. Longer than people realize. Formula E's hype seems to be around the wish to have clean energy, and currently electric is the way people go for some reason. Once that clean energy hype dies down one could assume that so does Formula E's
But if people start watching the racing will be good for sure,
And with everything this is an issue. How are people going to start watching? Do people even know of it's existence? etc. etc. And that is an issue, you can't really shove it down people's throats, but on the opposite, you can. Having the street races in those big cities seems a good idea to have quite some exposure. But then there is an other issue, it shoves it down of people's throats. Having those cars zooming through your streets can be quite forceful and annoying. And that is something you don't really need, people to hate what you are doing, certainly not as a startup.
first seassons it will be similar to GP3 and GP2, formula cars all the same, that more than enough to provide a tough and fun competition.
Which would then suddenly change after a while.
If people can´t cope with a noiseless competition it will be now on first seasson when they won´t watch it, but if first seasson is a success because people realice racing is a lot more than engine noise :mrgreen: , I don´t see how it could dissapear on next seassons
A1GP was rather succesful, and where is that series now? A series cannot be ran on hopes and dreams, it needs a bussiness model, and can it create one?
Specially because this technology is so new there´s a huge margin to improve, so the cars will be much faster each seasson.
Battery technology isn't new, far from it in fact. It all now is carried by the hype around it, when the hype dies down, logically so will anything around it.
Once electric cars are normal for everyone, people will realice they really are the future,
And here we get to the hype again. electric cars have been around for quite some time now, without anyone caring about it. Now with the hype, suddenly everyone cares. And to say electric cars are the future, it's hard to say. It is the most easily accessible, everyone has electricity in his/her home, at work etc. etc. There aren't many LPG stations around for example, or think about other methods, nowhere to be found, while electricity is as easy as plugging in your outlet.

And how are we all going to deal with the increase in energy consumption? More powerplants! Many, many powerplants aren't very environment friendly and neither are the batteries that need to be charged. If I remember correctly, the Prius is less environment friendly due to the damage those batteries do to our environment. You are doing the environment a favor by driving a petrol-guzzling Dodge Charger. People tend to forget about a thing called "nature".
they have too many advantages to care about the sound, so I think FE then will be considered the real pinnacle of motorsports in few years.... if it survive first seasson
Honestly, it doesn't really have many advantages. It's all hype if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I welcome the series and look forward to it, but it seems all hype to me.
IMO it´s F1 who should be worried about next seassons,
F1 is so incredibly dominant that it doesn't need to worry about anything, and certainly not in the next few years.
And I think we all are really gratefull with him because of that, but I think people in charge of any statement must be in charge for a limited period, and it doesn´t matter what statement we´re talking about, if FIA or a government. Bernie did great things for F1, but his time was over a long time ago, F1 needs new ideas, but good ideas, not double scoring on last gp or sprinklers or the engines frozen
F1 does not need to innovate. F1's issue is is that it has come to the point that everyone who is interested in watching is watching. There aren't many more potential viewers anymore(well, a few, but not a huge amount), so it has come to the point where growth is getting harder, and where the growth is mainly coming from income.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:

Fan Boost.
Wow, they can't be serious! That's just insane!
That's so cool. Will Takumo Sato be in FE by any chance? :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bhall

Tim.Wright wrote:Given that we have heard nothing of this in the last 6 months, we can be pretty certain that the idea has been shít-canned.
Still there.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/entertainment

Andres125sx

wesley123 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: I think it will be just the opposite, if it survive first seasson/s it could easlily overcome F1
It also couldn't, hard to say. Formula 1 has it's market dominance, Formula E has to fight against a well developed market, and it definitely will have a hard time doing so.
I don´t think so, you will never see Shell or Petronas sponsoring FE, but we could see Panasonic, A123, Sanyo... also Tesla or any other electric car manufacturer

Sponsors look for media impact, if a new electric competition suceed and people watch it, it wil be so diferent to any other competition only this will make it attractive for sponsors
wesley123 wrote:Which is weird since they are around for quite some time now. Longer than people realize. Formula E's hype seems to be around the wish to have clean energy, and currently electric is the way people go for some reason. Once that clean energy hype dies down one could assume that so does Formula E's
For some reason?

Today, when a big part of the electricity comes from coal plants, electricity is cleaner than petrol, only taking electricity from coal plants wich are the most polluting way to produce electricity. Not by a huge margin, but cleaner.

At least if you consider the pollution produced by petrol before burning it too. If you´re including the pollution produced by electricity at the power plants, you have to include the pollution produced by oil wells, refineries, oil tankers and oil trucks that supply petrol stations

So only considering electricity from coal plants it´s still cleaner than petrol, but once you take the average including nuclear plants, hydroelectric plants, wind mills, etc. electricity is cleaner than petrol by a really huge margin. And that´s today with many coal plants.

I´m not sure what´s the scenario in other countries, but here in Spain when I was at the university I saw a graph where renewable energies where a mere line, it was not even a 5% of the total (around 1995)

Today it´s a solid 25-30%, and some months it´s even been over 50%, so sometimes we have used more clean electricity than polluting one. That´s reality, not any hype.

What I mean is electricity is cleaner each year, and if you do a quick search for new renewable energies you will see how many new projects are being developed to produce clean energy from waves, sea currents, solar heat... so the percentage of clean energy will continue raising for many years, what means any electric car today is cleaner than any ICE car, but the difference will be even higher each year.

I agree with the demand of full electric cars it will be neccessary a lot of energy that can´t be accomplished just with renewable energies, but even if the percentage don´t raise anymore, they´re cleaner. I´m sure that percentage will continue raising tough

And even if the total pollution would be the same (what is false), the pollution wouldn´t be concentrated into the cities, only that is a huge benefit
wesley123 wrote: Having the street races in those big cities seems a good idea to have quite some exposure. But then there is an other issue, it shoves it down of people's throats. Having those cars zooming through your streets can be quite forceful and annoying.
Or something really mindblowing, watching a race hearing the tires, how each driver brake and take the corners, hearing the aerodinamical sounds, and being able to comment the race with your friends.... I can´t find that forceful and annoying :mrgreen:
wesley123 wrote:
If people can´t cope with a noiseless competition it will be now on first seasson when they won´t watch it, but if first seasson is a success because people realice racing is a lot more than engine noise :mrgreen: , I don´t see how it could dissapear on next seassons
A1GP was rather succesful, and where is that series now? A series cannot be ran on hopes and dreams
A1GP was another formula... like any other... GP2, GP3, F3, F3000, World Series

Too similar, too many competition for tv coverage, didn´t provide anything new. But FE is completely new, can´t be compared.
wesley123 wrote:
Battery technology isn't new, far from it in fact. It all now is carried by the hype around it, when the hype dies down, logically so will anything around it.
Who said battery technology is new?

But Lithium batteries are actually pretty new for car use, and that´s what is increasing the electric car industry, not any hype

Battery technology isn´t new, but it´s now when it has evolved enough to make possible useful electric cars. I´m sure without lithium batteries Tesla Motors wouldn´t exist, nor the Lola-Drayson B12/69EV, or the FE itself.

Not any hype, just technology reached the point where electric cars are possible, and this is just the beginning, wait for LiS batteries...
wesley123 wrote:
they have too many advantages to care about the sound, so I think FE then will be considered the real pinnacle of motorsports in few years.... if it survive first seasson
Honestly, it doesn't really have many advantages. It's all hype if you ask me.
Ok, I see what´s your point of view about EV, but you can´t seriously say they don´t have many advantages

1- The torque curve is what ICE manufacturers are trying to match for more than a century... without success.

2- Reliability can´t be compared. Electric motors are virtually indestructible, they´re too simple and there´s no wearing at all apart from two bearings. No maintenance at all either, no oil changes, no turbo problems, gaskets failing, injector problems, fuel or oil pumps... Think about all the problems you´ve had with all your cars, and probably 60-70% of them where engine related. All of them will dissapear

3- Lifespan will depend only on batteries because of the lack of wearing at the motor, they don´t get old or decrease the perfomance, the perform the same always, maintenance free and failures free. And next generation batteries will be around 70% cheaper than current ones, so a battery replacement won´t be a big investment, specially if you consider with a new battery you have a brand new power unit as the battery is the only part decreasing the perfomance with the use. Put a new battery and it will perform exatly the same than first day. So lifespan will be what the owner want it to be

4- Ease of use and confort will be at a different league. Manufacturers do a big effort to avoid any noise and vibrations reaching the passengers, and they do a great job on some cases, but electric cars don´t provide any noise or vibration at all, so comfort in this aspect (noise and vibration isolation) will be at a different league.

5- Emissions are at a different league too as explained above if you make a fair comparison

6- Today they weight the same or even a bit more than ICE cars, but with next batteries they will be much lighter and with much better weight distribution as they can be placed lower and more centered than the block of an ICE, what will improve handling, breaking and overall perfomance

And I´m probably forgeting something... not a hype at all IMHO, but real advantages
wesley123 wrote:F1 does not need to innovate. F1's issue is is that it has come to the point that everyone who is interested in watching is watching. There aren't many more potential viewers anymore(well, a few, but not a huge amount), so it has come to the point where growth is getting harder, and where the growth is mainly coming from income.
Singapore, Russia, India, Abu Dhabi... those look like some millions of new potential viewers.

But even with Bernie doing big efforts to... well, actually to stop the fall of the audience numbers, he can´t. So even with F1 going to new countries what should increase the audience, it´s decreasing

F1 does need innovation, and that´s what Bernie think too, you just have to take a look at his ideas (sprinklers, double scoring at last gp, new countries with no F1 tradition at all, night races...). He´s not trying to leave the competition as it is, but trying to be innovative

Cam

Holy incredible post length batman.

FE has failed on one part though - Electricity. They should have made it open to other resources (not right away, but in future) such as hydrogen. They've branded the whole thing solely on electricity. This will limit them I think. If another resource is found to be more efficient, FE is going to look stupid for not planning for that. They'll then have to re-brand and re-rule or ignore it. Either way it's a waste, which is what they're promoting they're minimizing #-o
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.