Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Yes.
16%
No.
70%
Maybe a bit.
14%

Total votes: 135

Cam

Re: Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like

Yep - so much wealth of history and a rich well of proven source material, just lying in a $hit heap, passed over for titanium spark plates.....

We're in the minority GitanesBlonde, you and I. No matter how 'right' we think we are, it's useless. I've also resigned myself to accepting we're seeing the decline of F1 to obscurity. It's when, not if.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Tim.Wright

Not the engineer at Force India

SectorOne

Cam wrote:Anyone want to disagree and state that the current grid of drivers in F1 are the best drivers on the planet?
How do you even debate a question like that?
ROC is the only place where drivers from all disciplines come to drive on the same track in various cars competing against each other.

On one hand rally drivers has the most titles, but you also have a DTM driver tied for 2nd with Loeb.
Then if you look at the nations cup it´s been utterly dominated by two F1 drivers for the last 6 years of running.
And last one Grosjean won.

Looking at the track they run it´s fair to say F1 drivers are the drivers most out of their element.
So again, how do you even determine the answer to that sort of question? I honestly don´t know.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cam

SectorOne wrote:
Cam wrote:Anyone want to disagree and state that the current grid of drivers in F1 are the best drivers on the planet?
How do you even debate a question like that?
You can start by determining if a driver has a seat on merit, or cash availability.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

langwadt
langwadt

the speed difference between cars getting a good and bad launch, which will be even worse with different tire wear, and every one trying to get through the first corner at the same time is already the cause of most crashes why would they want more of that?

if they wanted to do something different , why not do something similar to slow zones; put them on the pit limiter and tie it into the DRS zone so they get released in order when crossing the DRS line

where is the titanium blocks mounted, does it allow them to run the cars lower? i.e. does bottoming out wear on the titanium blocks instead of the regulation plank?

Cam

langwadt wrote:if they wanted to do something different , why not do something similar to slow zones; put them on the pit limiter and tie it into the DRS zone so they get released in order when crossing the DRS line
They don't want considered regulations to improve racing, they want crashes for the sake of it. All this high horse talk of safety....
― Socrates

SectorOne

Cam wrote:You can start by determining if a driver has a seat on merit, or cash availability.
And how do we determine this? And when we have determined that, what´s the next step?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

tomazy
tomazy

I have an idea for a rule in 2016, a lottery for fake mechanical failure? Becouse those cars are just to reliable.

Cam

SectorOne wrote:
Cam wrote:You can start by determining if a driver has a seat on merit, or cash availability.
And how do we determine this? And when we have determined that, what´s the next step?
Really? Are we going to play this game? For those of us just joining...
F1.com wrote:Formula 1® racing is the ultimate test of man and machine - pushing car and driver to their absolute limits in pursuit of one simple goal. Speed.
The best drivers come up through the feeder series and are filtered through years of different machines, environments and occasions to let the best really shine through. Grab some of them and then some of the existing 'experienced' drivers - put them in the best cars, on the best tracks and have at it. That's the premise that is being sold, but like every box of cereal, the packaging never reflects the contents.
― Socrates

SectorOne

Cam wrote:Really? Are we going to play this game? For those of us just joining...
Well to me it felt like you wanted to play the game when you asked if anyone disagrees with you.
I don´t have an opinion on either side, i´m just struggling to understand how you can possibly answer that question.

Cam wrote:
F1.com wrote:Formula 1® racing is the ultimate test of man and machine - pushing car and driver to their absolute limits in pursuit of one simple goal. Speed.
The best drivers come up through the feeder series and are filtered through years of different machines, environments and occasions to let the best really shine through. Grab some of them and then some of the existing 'experienced' drivers - put them in the best cars, on the best tracks and have at it. That's the premise that is being sold, but like every box of cereal, the packaging never reflects the contents.
But this has absolutely nothing to do with finding out if F1 drivers are the best drivers on the planet.
I think your issue is that maybe not the best open wheeler drivers are in F1.

That´s a whole different ball game then trying to figure out if F1 drivers are superior to all other disciplines.

Even if you had a picture perfect system where every single driver in F1 has been chosen by the teams based on titles and performances you still would not be any smarter in figuring out if F1 drivers are better drivers then Rally drivers.

Cam

So answer me this - by pushing a car and driver to their absolute limits, would you not find out who the best drivers are?

I'd proffer that weaker drivers would sooner drop out. Any driver that was inconsistent or who regularly didn't beat a teammate, would be dropped. Certainly putting the car into the wall on the first lap of qualifying would send a clear signal. That's one way we could sort the wheat from the chaff?

I don't think we need to determine whether a F1 driver is better than a rally driver, or a Moto GP rider, or a GP Production car, not at all, what we do want to see is the best current available drivers in F1 - whoever they are - granted on merit.
― Socrates

mantaque
mantaque

Guys, you are going off the track with this discussion about who is better driver and so on.

For me, this decision about standing start after restart is another bullsh*t decision made by FIA. Seriously, they are killing Formula 1 with these sh*tty regulations about engine limitations, testing limitations, development limitations. When was the last time they said "we liqidate these rules to help innovate new solutions"? I don't remember. There are so many rules, limits and regulations and I think it's too many.

SectorOne

Cam wrote:So answer me this - by pushing a car and driver to their absolute limits, would you not find out who the best drivers are?
(in formula 1)

No i think there´s many more factors involved in determining who the best drivers are.
For example we haven´t had flat out racing in years but i think it´s quite easy to see who the best drivers in the field are.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

So from 2015:

*crash*
Safety car deployed
Pitlane closes
Pitwall personnel sprint back across pitlane to garages

*track clear*
Marshall's run to pitwall with position markers
SC peels off and cars line up in starting boxes
5 red lights
Pitwall personnel sprint back across pitlane to positions
Pitlane reopens

A typically FIA solution to a problem that never existed. :lol: =D>

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

This is sheer madness. These types of moves are just defecating on one of Formula One's biggest assets: its rich history. It is an insult to the memories of past drivers dead or alive. What would Ayrton Senna think if he came back to witness this. This situation is genuinely making me sad. How can it all go so very wrong so quickly?