What is F1??? Past, Present and Future of a dying Sport.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: What is F1??? Past, Present and Future of a dying Sport.

Gaz. if I was like many here I'd give you a down vote for that, but I will grant that you have a right to your opinion. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

theloniousmonk
theloniousmonk

Re: What is F1??? Past, Present and Future of a dying Sport.

I don't see the move to different technology the bane of the sports existence. F1 has had its days of 3.5L v12s. Atmos engines with unlimited rev limits and unlimited fuel flows are over.

People seem to obsess way too much about the past in this sport. They were good, but repeating old technology for nostalgia's sake sucks the technology aspect out of the sport. F1 needs to move on, because if it does the same stuff over and over, it will truly die.

Fans love the 80s, because they were there. I wasn't old enough to remember the 80s, and as a modern fan of the sport, I can't find any justification from a technical perspective and even from a sporting perspective to cling on to nostalgic rules. It certainly no longer becomes the pinnacle of Motorsport when its purely nostalgia driving the technological regulations.

Nowadays, building big atmos engines that generate too much power and has too open of a regulation just kills the sport.

We've seen that happen in group C, group B, formula 5000, Can Am etc. We simply know too much about the old formulas to make competitive racing. Fields shrink, and so does the fan base.

Where f1 really suffers is the presentation if the sport. Analysis is dry and limited, because everything is so secretive. The media side of things suck, I can't legally stream anything for f1. Social media is weak, and the people who run the show move far too slowly to update the sport for the automotive industry it represents.